Metallica 2014

JamesT977

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read back through most of this and have to say that the more I read the more I want them to play (even though Scruffylovemonster will get rich from it). I have the following points to make:

I have friends who are not at all into metal and are very keen/really excited to see Metallica.

I have been to metal gigs and festivals and the atmosphere is not at all aggressive or threatening. I find the vibe around the dance area at Glastonbury- and at Homelands when I went once - to be far more unpleasant. Especially last year.

I've seen Cradle of Filth too and they were ace :P

I have friends who are not at all into metal and are very keen/really excited to see Metallica.

:P

Everyone I know who is going is excited to see Metallica. None of them are Metal fans at all. in fact, for some it was the deciding factor in paying off their tickets.

Some people on here are underestimating the amount of people who would like to see them but won't go to Download etc or pay £60 tp go to their gigs. I wouldn't be surprised if it was heaving.

http://stagedoor.fm/2014/05/01/forget-metallica-mystery-glastonbury-headliner-may-just-well-foo-fighters/

Thought I'd post this here as it's probably the most appropriate place. Reliable source?

I could see foos being a good other stage headliner. I'd much rather see foo's than metallica but if it was foo fighters, arcade fire and kasabian as pyramid headliners it would be a fairly flat line up of indie/rock bands. And as good as the foos can be I don't think they have that wow factor.

As much as i have no interest in metallica, at least its not a one dimensional line up if/when they are announced.

Everyone I know who is going is excited to see Metallica. None of them are Metal fans at all. in fact, for some it was the deciding factor in paying off their tickets.

Some people on here are underestimating the amount of people who would like to see them but won't go to Download etc or pay £60 tp go to their gigs. I wouldn't be surprised if it was heaving.

Quite. I don't even know if it will thin out as much as people expect. I mean, people will know what they're in for, right?!

Quite. I don't even know if it will thin out as much as people expect. I mean, people will know what they're in for, right?!

there will be a few people there for curiosities sake / for the sheer fact that it's a Pyramid headliner and they feel obliged to be there, but yeah, surely people know what they're getting in to with Metallica (or have at least looked in to them before the festival). doubt anybody's gonna be stood in front of the stage gasping out loud "WHAT. IS. THIS. I'M. HEARING?!"

Of the 6 of us going, Im definitely going to be at Metallica. (Assuming it isn't McBusted or 1 Direction)

I know one of my mates will want to, but his missus would hate it. The others are not really into them. I think Ill be on my own.

I wanted a festival in which I didnt bother much with the Pyramid or other stage as I wanted to explore more in the evenings. Only one evening have I spent away from the main 2 stages in the 2 glastonburys I have been to.

I want to see arcade fire and metallica, my mates all want to see Kasabian, Im not fussed.

there will be a few people there for curiosities sake / for the sheer fact that it's a Pyramid headliner and they feel obliged to be there, but yeah, surely people know what they're getting in to with Metallica (or have at least looked in to them before the festival). doubt anybody's gonna be stood in front of the stage gasping out loud "WHAT. IS. THIS. I'M. HEARING?!"

Yeah and if they are they may even find themselves converted...

The Pyramid crowd always thins out a little but I don't expect it to be more than usual. Even the Stones had a lot of people coming for the first half hour to tick a box I reckon.

I've seen Metallica twice and it does tend to go on a bit towards the end for me, but they're good at what they do. I'd probably be there, Pixies clash depending.

Regarding a potential exodus I think more depends on their first few songs than most headliners and that goes beyond those (very few) that don't fully know who they are.

Lots of non metal fans who wouldn't normally watch them will be keeping an open mind (this is glastonbury after all) and seeing how it goes. For those that feel Jay-z was a success the intro has got to have been important in setting the mood.

For most bands i'd say start with your more upbeat, faster and possibly heavier songs - not sure that applies here! Very curious to see what they start with...

on their latest tour (the 'by request' one) they've been opening with either Blackened or Battery (i suppose depending on which of those has been requested), and then straight in to Master Of Puppets. opening with Battery and then MOP would be a great way to open the show (two of their best / most recognisable songs from their best album). Blackened less so (although i'd go mental / laugh my arse off if they did)

Even the Stones had a lot of people coming for the first half hour to tick a box I reckon.

I missed out on ticket day last year, when I got back a friend of a friend said

"Didnt see you there this year" (Knowing full well I missed out)

Chase and Status were my highlight. I went to the stones, but couldn't get into it so I went to see Chase and Status."

1. I couldn't believe what he said

2. I deserved to see the stones

3. WHY WOULD YOU LEAVE THE STONES?!

4. He is 30, not 17... Chase and Status?!

5. I never liked him anyway

Was very dubious about them playing when Lars made that request to "Come book us" last year, but as time goes on it feels like a great idea, certainly beats having another MOR indie band playing - thank god that Oasis crap was nothing more than Liam attention-seeking...

Are certain members of Metallica complete dicks? Will it be a divisive booking? Arguably yes, but they clearly put on a good show and clashes permitting I'll probably be near the front hoping they play Fade to Black.

I missed out on ticket day last year, when I got back a friend of a friend said

"Didnt see you there this year" (Knowing full well I missed out)

Chase and Status were my highlight. I went to the stones, but couldn't get into it so I went to see Chase and Status."

1. I couldn't believe what he said

2. I deserved to see the stones

3. WHY WOULD YOU LEAVE THE STONES?!

4. He is 30, not 17... Chase and Status?!

5. I never liked him anyway

Haha, yeah, well rid!

With the knowledge that I'll (probably) be seeing Prince in three weeks and the other alternatives are the likes of the "Foos", a reformed Oasis or someone like Biffy bladdy Clyro then I'm ready to don a black Alcoholica t-shirt, a mouldy patch-covered battlejacket and get my horns right up in the air!