Metallica 2014

JamesT977

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The argument should be why are kasabian headlining. Metallica are what I would call and expect a headliner to be. Its a safe solid good call by eavis.

Kasabian are massive in the uk and with a lot of the glastonbury crowd, we have had lots of bands similar to them headline with successful sets. Metallica May go down brilliantly but I can't see the organisers thinking it's a 'safe' or 'solid' decision at all.

The argument should be why are kasabian headlining. Metallica are what I would call and expect a headliner to be. Its a safe solid good call by eavis.

Kinda what I was saying earlier. I think Metallica would be an inspired booking but not in the Saturday Legends slot because they are so marmite. If people had Arcade Fire (contempory), The Stones (well not them coz they played last year but crowd pleasing legends that satisfy the masses), Metallica (edgy, refreshing booking) I don't think there would be the same reaction.

Either way it's Glastonbury and it'll be awesome

Edited by math125

I think people are underestimating the amount of average Glastonbury goers who would enjoy and are fans, I find often that forums like this place have a skewed cross section of fans which aren't really a normal representation of the average festival goes or whatever.

I'm going with a group of people and we're all more than likely going to be at Metallica.

I've been going to festivals for 8 years (probably a short speck of time compared to others here, but often enough to have seen a few headline slots in my time), lots of majors and big name acts and I still maintain Metallica are the best headline act I've ever seen at a festival. Even rank them above bands who I'm much bigger fans of.

Edited by TomWales

Kasabian are massive in the uk and with a lot of the glastonbury crowd, we have had lots of bands similar to them headline with successful sets. Metallica May go down brilliantly but I can't see the organisers thinking it's a 'safe' or 'solid' decision at all.

Your right kasabian are massive in the UK. Metallica are massive all over the world.

I think a lot of people would be suprised how widespread metallica's fan base is. Theres lots of people who liked metallica when they were younger will want to watch them for nostalgia even if they havrnt listened to them for years, much like many of the 'legend' headliners. Unlike a lot of those acts though their last album went to number 1 in the uk so there is a large fanbase still buying their music. Glastonbury might not be their demographic but there'll be enough people with an interest in them for a respectable crowd, and they're experienced enough to pretty much guarantee a good show.

Your right kasabian are massive in the UK. Metallica are massive all over the world.

Not the point. I'm not saying that Metallica wont go down well, they may do. I'm saying the organisers will consider it a risk as it is so far from what they have ever had playing the festival.

But Glastonbury is only in the UK, not all over the world, so that doesn't really mean anything.

Metallica are massive in the UK. What is controversial about a huge band with massive album sales who have never played the festival before playing. They are not some obscure black metal band. They are a mainstream rock/metal band.

Metallica are massive in the UK. What is controversial about a huge band with massive album sales who have never played the festival before playing. They are not some obscure black metal band. They are a mainstream rock/metal band.

Are they? How many fans do they have? How many of the usual Glastonbury crowd (bear in mind they bought the tickets before they were announced) would be a fan?

Oh I agree and think they'll be a great headliner, I was just making the point that worldwide reputation means nothing compared to UK reputation when talking about Glastonbury. Phoenix headline festivals all over the world but they still headlined the JP tent last year.

Edited by Dan R

The festival has been around for 40+ years and there are multiple hard rock/metal acts that would have been or are 'big enough' to headline. None of them have. That is why it is a risk for Eavis, it it a step into the unknown for them.

I think a lot of people would be suprised how widespread metallica's fan base is. Theres lots of people who liked metallica when they were younger will want to watch them for nostalgia even if they havrnt listened to them for years, much like many of the 'legend' headliners. Unlike a lot of those acts though their last album went to number 1 in the uk so there is a large fanbase still buying their music. Glastonbury might not be their demographic but there'll be enough people with an interest in them for a respectable crowd, and they're experienced enough to pretty much guarantee a good show.

Yep agree, I think a lot of 30 - 40 year olds who listened to them in their teens will go along for nostalgia, which is a large part of the demographic of Glastonbury. Then a lot will go out of curiosity of never seeing a metal band before, a lot of people who are currently into that music and then the Pyramid campers who watch everything on the pyramid regardless will be there.

I suspect a large and diverse audience awaits but then again that's true of any headliner and the beauty of Glastonbury!

Agree with a lot of what has been said

Metallica are a decent booking because they have quite a middle aged fan base

A couple of my friend's dads are old school rockers who like Led Zep, AC/DC etc and they are also big Metallica fans

I think they will certainly get a big crowd but will be very interesting to see what their set looks like, especially at the beginning, because I think a lot of people will be turned off if they have a couple of heavier thrash metal songs at the start

Yep agree, I think a lot of 30 - 40 year olds who listened to them in their teens will go along for nostalgia, which is a large part of the demographic of Glastonbury. Then a lot will go out of curiosity of never seeing a metal band before, a lot of people who are currently into that music and then the Pyramid campers who watch everything on the pyramid regardless will be there.

I suspect a large and diverse audience awaits but then again that's true of any headliner and the beauty of Glastonbury!

and 50 year olds...

Are they? How many fans do they have? How many of the usual Glastonbury crowd (bear in mind they bought the tickets before they were announced) would be a fan?

Well if they have sold over 100 million albums they are not obscure they are mainstream. I could not tell you how many fans they have and I have no idea what amount of the Glastonbury crowd are fans.

Well if they have sold over 100 million albums they are not obscure they are mainstream. I could not tell you how many fans they have and I have no idea what amount of the Glastonbury crowd are fans.

And despite all of the assertions, neither can anyone else on here!

Put me in the 'I'll be there' camp. Really looking forward to it, actually. I think they'll smash it and I'm by no means a Metallica or even a metal fan.

You'd like to think that the band have got something up their sleeves to make the set more Glasto friendly, introduction of an orchestra for all/some songs like they did for 'S and M', a few cover songs here and there, playing their less heavy songs. After all, Lars et al are no mugs.

What do people reckon to the typical Metallica pyro? Will they be allowed it? I can't say I remember ever seeing flames at the Pyramid stage bar the fiery bird at the Stones.