The Space To Put Predictions And Then Provide Feedback Or Bold Bands If You Want To Show People Who You Like Thread

Ok, they’re a rap act then. They are not a rock act in any way other than image. By pushing a band like 21P so heavily it just dilutes what it is to be a ‘rock band’ in the eyes of people. Why are they covering an act like 21P when they could be giving that coverage to bands that are actually very much a part of that world? 

Kerrang! is very much still a thing and since the new dude took it over they have thankfully moved away from covering stuff like Twenty One Pilots and Halsey and had bands like Code Orange, Employed To Serve, Milk Teeth, Architects, Behemoth and Greta Van Fleet on the cover but other outlets are still pushing 21P as this massive rock band.

Why cover acts like that from outside the world of rock when there are plenty of exciting bands within that world to cover who could absolutely use that coverage? 

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Ok, they’re a rap act then. They are not a rock act in any way other than image. By pushing a band like 21P so heavily it just dilutes what it is to be a ‘rock band’ in the eyes of people. Why are they covering an act like 21P when they could be giving that coverage to bands that are actually very much a part of that world? 

Kerrang! is very much still a thing and since the new dude took it over they have thankfully moved away from covering stuff like Twenty One Pilots and Halsey and had bands like Code Orange, Employed To Serve, Milk Teeth, Architects, Behemoth and Greta Van Fleet on the cover but other outlets are still pushing 21P as this massive rock band.

Why cover acts like that from outside the world of rock when there are plenty of exciting bands within that world to cover who could absolutely use that coverage? 

They’re a rock band. Not a typical one, but one nonetheless. Devil’s Advocate here but why can’t rock evolve to take on different styles, rather than keeping things exactly in place and sounding like the past?

TOP still tap into the same emotional grounds that young folk wanna kick it to that the wave of popular ‘emo’ bands did, the nu metal bands, the post-grunge bands, etc. in the past twenty years.

• Upvote 2

I don't think Twenty One Pilots can belong to any one genre, because they cover so many in different ways. Would they work as the 'alternative' headliner? They'd definitely bring in a different kind of crowd. Judging by the people listening to them on social media, they seem to have a cross section of fans from hip-hop and 'emo' bands. Along with 1975 there would definitely be a big enough cross section to appeal to a lot of people

It’s a heap of shit anyway because people that go to the festival generally like a mix of genres. I understood what matey said about including a hip hop headliner, but then when it devolved into ‘rock’ and ‘non-rock’ and that two of the headliners are ‘non-rock’ enough to make a whole ‘non-rock’ headliner, it got fuckin stupid.

But anyway, I can see festivals not wanting to book Kanye for a while; Drake is - as Gucci said - arguably so big he doesn’t need fests; Jay Z is long overdue but has lessening appeal with young hip hop fans. Those are the only acts on a similar level so there isn’t that much choice, not that they won’t make up for it across the rest of the lineup.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

They’re a rock band. Not a typical one, but one nonetheless. Devil’s Advocate here but why can’t rock evolve to take on different styles, rather than keeping things exactly in place and sounding like the past?

TOP still tap into the same emotional grounds that young folk wanna kick it to that the wave of popular ‘emo’ bands did, the nu metal bands, the post-grunge bands, etc. in the past twenty years.

Have you listened to that new album of theirs? Please tell me what is rock about that album other than the bass line on Jumpsuit. Take tracks like Morph, Smithereens or Nico and The Niners or any number of other tracks from the album and play them to people. Who is going to identify that as rock music? 

I absolutely agree with your Devil's Advocate statement but Twenty One Pilots are too far past that. 

42 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Have you listened to that new album of theirs? Please tell me what is rock about that album other than the bass line on Jumpsuit. Take tracks like Morph, Smithereens or Nico and The Niners or any number of other tracks from the album and play them to people. Who is going to identify that as rock music? 

I absolutely agree with your Devil's Advocate statement but Twenty One Pilots are too far past that. 

I don’t know about these new songs but what I’ve seen just seems like very watered down rock. They appeal to rock fans so I’m willing to go with it. I don’t think their acceptance as ‘rock’ will knock the universe out of balance or deprive the bands you mentioned of the limelight - as if Behemoth were ever gonna be playing on daytime Radio 1 anyway - so trying to ship TOP off to different genres doesn’t really work.

Also, you were one of the peeps going hog-wild over the garbage rappers playing without any illusion of being ‘a rock band’ on the predominantly rock-oriented Pit/Lock Up this year so I dunno how you can really complain. :P

9 hours ago, Andre91 said:

They write about bands their audience want to read about, because they want to sell issues of their magazine. If you wanna be annoyed at someone be annoyed at your fellow Kerrang!-ers who listen to them. But at the same time, who gives a fuck?

On 10/9/2018 at 4:02 PM, Gucci Piggy said:

They write about bands their audience want to read about, because they want to sell issues of their magazine. If you wanna be annoyed at someone be annoyed at your fellow Kerrang!-ers who listen to them. But at the same time, who gives a fuck?

I guess it is all just about selling magazines, yeah. 

Seems pretty ok. The Bebe Rexha shout seems weird, but maybe I’m missing something there. Christine and the Queens is the biggest act on that stage though so definitely too low. Tenacious D won’t even sub Download at this point so I don’t see them appearing that high. Skrillex might be an outdated sub choice too but I guess it’s not too wild.

13 hours ago, gfa said:

heavily

23 hours ago, Newjem said:

READINGprediction-min.thumb.png.bec4ed14138064f622fabc5b1ce6a803.png

Ye I agree more high up indie such as the streets,vampire weekend, cage the elephant or milky chance or kaleo still don't think TOP are big enough to headline outright don't agree with dance stage headliners TNGHT haven't realeased anything latetly I think it might be Chris Lorenzo or Odesza would be pretty cool but other then that seems pretty good. 

FRIDAY

Twenty One Pilots / Chance The Rapper / Chvrches / You Me At Six / Idles

Jamie T / The Hunna / Pvris

PIT: Greta Van Fleet, FR: Flying Lotus, 1Xtra: Fredo

SATURDAY

Foo Fighters / Catfish & The Bottlemen / Cardi B / Parkway Drive / Good Charlotte

Jamie XX / Joey Bada$$ / The Hives

LU: Twin Atlantic, FR: Fickle Friends, 1Xtra: Juicewrld

SUNDAY

The 1975 / Two Door Cinema Club / Limp Bizkit / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes / Dave

ASAP Rocky / Neck Deep / Vince Staples

PIT: Bury Tomorrow, FR: The Cribs, 1Xtra: Rejjie Snow