Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

1 hour ago, Brock Landers said:

Why are so many people against a band evolving and changing their sound. I love Funeral as much as the next person but I don't want another 4 albums sounding exactly like it.

Bands move on and innovate. Surely this should be applauded?. Music should be about taking risks and attempting to break new ground (whether succesfull or not). I have much more respect for artists that try something different and fail as opposed to acts that just do the same thing over and over again, rinse repeat.

Just what I was thinking.  Imagine if internet forums existed when Bowie was doing his stuff in the 70s:

"I reckon he could do another Ziggy album easily"

"I don't see why he doesn't do another record like Hunky Dory,  this electronic stuff is so boring. And don't get me started on that plastic soul period".

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 2

That's where things topple over into subjectivity.  Reflektor should have been a hell more of an evolution than it actually was, particularly given their pre-release chatter about writing for the dancefloor and incorprating Haitian rhythms.  As was, it only served to expose their limitations.

But this is old territory.  I'm never gonna be anything other than harsh on it.

Reflektor was ultimately uneven. A few massive highlights but other moments that didn't really do it for me at all. That said, I'd much rather they did that than the sort of middling safe album you see most similarly successful acts knock out at a similar stage in their career. 

But one thing I love about Arcade Fire is that despite none of the subsequent albums quite matching Funeral IMO whenever you go see their gigs they keep it pretty Funeral heavy and pick their tunes impeccably from the other albums. 

Whenever I go back to Funeral I'm surprised how patchy it is.   I expect it to be wall to wall bangers, but  Une Annee Sans Lumiere and Kettles are surprisingly weak.  And even Laika isn't very well recorded.  Ok, not that patchy then :)

It's been a while since a list:

1. Neon Bible
  2. Reflektor
  3. Funeral
  4. The Suburbs

I've just realised going over that list, that they really are a very fine band indeed!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Whenever I go back to Funeral I'm surprised how patchy it is.   I expect it to be wall to wall bangers, but  Une Annee Sans Lumiere and Kettles are surprisingly weak.  And even Laika isn't very well recorded.  Ok, not that patchy then :)

It's been a while since a list:

1. Neon Bible
  2. Reflektor
  3. Funeral
  4. The Suburbs

I've just realised going over that list, that they really are a very fine band indeed!

Yep, one of very few headline size acts that are worth listening to at the moment. There's a real lack of quality bands out there at present 

And whilst I'm at it, I never enjoy Crown Of Love quite as much as I think I'm going to.

Ok @Tuna, I'll give it another listen.  I'll probably realise I'm wrong :)  I have to admit, as I tried to list the 'weak' songs, I found it increasingly hard to justify what I was typing.

But I do think Neon Bible is better recorded.  Funeral has some staggering songwriting on it, but the band sound fuller and more together on the 2nd record.  Plus, Win doesn't squawk half so much. Another reason why they're a treat to see live - all the recording flaws with Funeral are completely gone.

For me Funeral will always be their best work, I adore it, on vinyl it just sounds incredible. 

Their albums get progressively weaker IMO, that said Reflektor is still fantastic. I'd love to see them in a festival setting again but never gonna happen this year at Glasto and there's no chance I'd go to IOW! 

• 2 weeks later...

Decided the other day that I'd be giving them a miss when they toured this time 'round as I'll be seeing them at Primavera and have already seen them a fair few times over the years. Doesn't make missing this any easier though as I'm sure it'll be fantastic and that the support will be top notch as well.