The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

20 hours ago, mufcok said:

Did we establish if there's gonna be anything on site to replace Cosy Camper? I quite fancy buying a chair there, definitely one of the most awkward things to carry on the walk from the car park

There are always a few stalls selling chairs, wellies and other and essentials.

I've been away for a few years, but there's been a stall (usually Millets) in the Other Field just about every year I've been since 1999 where I usually head early on... also always a couple in the main market between Pyramid and West Holts.

2 minutes ago, Magma said:

I've been away for a few years, but there's been a stall (usually Millets) in the Other Field just about every year I've been since 1999 where I usually head early on... also always a couple in the main market between Pyramid and West Holts.

Cheers

12 minutes ago, Magma said:

You've been away a fair few years - Millets haven't been at the Festival since 2010.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

You've been away a fair few years - Millets haven't been at the Festival since 2010.

Well if it wasn't called Millets,  I'm 99% there was a camping stall in the same place in the Other Field in 2015 because my girlfriend managed to turn up without her sleeping bag and we got her one there.

There was also always a camping stall on the route between West Holts and the Acoustic tent.

Maybe they've all since vanished, but I'd be amazed if you can't buy a camping chair somewhere unless the festival formally outlaw them.

23 hours ago, mufcok said:

Did we establish if there's gonna be anything on site to replace Cosy Camper? I quite fancy buying a chair there, definitely one of the most awkward things to carry on the walk from the car park

We have gone for these because they look less awkward to cart about, annoyingly I then spotted them a fiver cheaper in Aldi last week

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WolfWise-Ultralight-Portable-Backpacking-Carabiner/dp/B074FRJ7H4/ref=asc_df_B074FRJ7H4/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205188093108&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17441362372855507219&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046057&hvtargid=pla-423313758675&psc=1

I don't use a chair much once I am in the festival but I don't fancy doing the Tuesday night queue without one.

4 minutes ago, coma girl said:

We have gone for these because they look less awkward to cart about, annoyingly I then spotted them a fiver cheaper in Aldi last week

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WolfWise-Ultralight-Portable-Backpacking-Carabiner/dp/B074FRJ7H4/ref=asc_df_B074FRJ7H4/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205188093108&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17441362372855507219&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046057&hvtargid=pla-423313758675&psc=1

I don't use a chair much once I am in the festival but I don't fancy doing the Tuesday night queue without one.

Cheers, I'll take a look in aldi

Lidl are doing an outdoors gear sale the Sunday after next (23rd June.)  There are a few useful things in there, e.g. a camping chair which packs down into a tiny bag.  (I've got one of these.   They're very comfortable and compact for use outside your tent, but they take just a bit too long to assemble to be worth carrying round with you.  By the time you've sat down, everyone else is getting ready to move on.)

The stand-out product is this: https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=22315

It packs down to nothing and weights nothing.  It's way more comfortable than a self-inflating mattress.  The high-end alternatives are things like the Thermarest NeoAir, which cost over a hundred quid.  I've got both and I'd say comfort-wise, there's not a lot between them.

33 minutes ago, mike86 said:

Anyone seen a deal on a good waterproof that will pack away relatively small? 

Thanks

mountain warehouse are selling ponchos at the best price ive seen (for a decent one)

Ive purchased and its just in a thin plastic sleeve until you use it, but we wont need it so it will slot in my day bag nicely, wont even notice its there

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-Warehouse-Waterproof-Packaway-Hooded-Poncho-Lightweight-/232848095395?var=&hash=item7bf3b4dab2

1 hour ago, mike86 said:

Anyone seen a deal on a good waterproof that will pack away relatively small? 

Thanks

Millets do the Peter Storm Cagoules that pack into a small drawstring bag, £12.80, this is the one I used for about 5 years, but they do have full zip ones.

https://www.millets.co.uk/mens/078200-peter-storm-mens-packable-cagoule-khaki.html

6 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

The stand-out product is this: https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=22315

It packs down to nothing and weights nothing.  It's way more comfortable than a self-inflating mattress.  The high-end alternatives are things like the Thermarest NeoAir, which cost over a hundred quid.  I've got both and I'd say comfort-wise, there's not a lot between them.

Good spot! Think I'll nab one of those, I prefer lilo style airbeds

10% of everything on eBay from 12pm today to midnight tomorrow if anyone needs any camping gear and wants a little bit off. Min spend of £50 unfortunately but cold come in handy for a new tent etc.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/10-off-ebay-pricewin-code-3246627

Use ‘PRICEWIN’ code
Min Spend £50
Max Discount £100

Edited by Riggins

Right, Im probably leaving this a bit late but does anyone having any recommendations for wellies at a decent price?

I'm looking for comfort, preferably in a shorter style and dont mind paying a bit extra as a sacrifice to the Weather Gods.

I did boots in 2016 and they just dont agree with me, I've also done Dunlops and want to avoid those.

1 minute ago, Divein said:

Right, Im probably leaving this a bit late but does anyone having any recommendations for wellies at a decent price?

I'm looking for comfort, preferably in a shorter style and dont mind paying a bit extra as a sacrifice to the Weather Gods.

I did boots in 2016 and they just dont agree with me, I've also done Dunlops and want to avoid those.

A few years ago I bought some Solognac wellies from Decathlon. I was sceptical at first as they were fairly cheap but in 2016 I walked 6 miles to the site because of the traffic, and then had them on all weekend and they were brilliant. 

Will be persuading my gf to get a pair for this year. 

9 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

A few years ago I bought some Solognac wellies from Decathlon. I was sceptical at first as they were fairly cheap but in 2016 I walked 6 miles to the site because of the traffic, and then had them on all weekend and they were brilliant. 

Will be persuading my gf to get a pair for this year. 

I was looking at them, as the tent I had from there a few years back has been great.

The only low ones they do are the warm ones with the lining but I think you can take that out if it gets warm. 

I think I might go for them, Go outdoors have the low hunter ones for £40 which I was looking at but I dont have a card. 

Just a word of warning for anyone thinking of getting anything from gooutdoors. They are having some sort of system upgrade/warehouse move causing chaos. Stuff I ordered 2 weeks ago is no where in sight. And impossible to get through to speak to anyone 

17 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

With wet wipes on the list of not-recommended things to bring, can anyone recommend an alternative for trying not to stink? (other than queuing forever for showers)?

I'm going to take two flannels in zip lock bags and just use them with water (from a water bottle, not at the sink) and soap.

Edited by Beerqueen

2 hours ago, fionajm777 said:

Just a word of warning for anyone thinking of getting anything from gooutdoors. They are having some sort of system upgrade/warehouse move causing chaos. Stuff I ordered 2 weeks ago is no where in sight. And impossible to get through to speak to anyone 

This has been going on for about 2 months now - been an absolute horror show