The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

This might be a daft question but is it only the actual  Fresh and Black tent's that stay cool? I borrowed a mates last year  and it was a game changer. I don't think I can go back to our usual tent. Do other blackout tents stay cool?

1 minute ago, Helsbels said:

This might be a daft question but is it only the actual  Fresh and Black tent's that stay cool? I borrowed a mates last year  and it was a game changer. I don't think I can go back to our usual tent. Do other blackout tents stay cool?

F&B is two things - the blackout aspect, and the reflective coating.

I'm not aware of anyone else combining the two factors yet, which in all honesty baffles me given how much better it is. Certainly blackout on its own just doesn't do enough of the job.

Yeah, I've got a non-F&B blackout tent, it's dark in there and I got maybe an extra hour or so before it became a sweat box compared to what I'm used to with a non-blackout tent.  Serves me right trying to save a few quid, if I was in the market for a new tent I'd 100% go for the F&B with this knowledge.

44 minutes ago, sedra said:

Has anyone used these from Decathlon? I struggle to get up off floor these days so thought this might work for me better

IMG_2494.png

I don't use it but have heard people rave about them. It would still need a camping mat on the top by all accounts. 

Only thing I would worry about is if you weren't camped on the flat

2 hours ago, sedra said:

Has anyone used these from Decathlon? I struggle to get up off floor these days so thought this might work for me better

IMG_2494.png

Personally couldn’t get used to it and ditched it after first night … maybe my SIM wasn’t thick enough because as others have said I’ve seen other positive reviews . Mine is sat in the loft and might come out as a spare bed should the need arise 

3 hours ago, sedra said:

IMG_2494.png

I have 1 and think it's great, but my husband hates it & much prefers just a mat. Would definitely recommend trying it out at home to see if it works for you.

Only downside for me is it's heavy and needs a massive pump.

Welcoming recommendations for hiking/walking boots - ready to leave my wellies and destroyed converse behind. Bonus points for ones good for narrow feet, high arches and supination/underpronation (I'm really fun at parties)

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Personally couldn’t get used to it and ditched it after first night … maybe my SIM wasn’t thick enough because as others have said I’ve seen other positive reviews . Mine is sat in the loft and might come out as a spare bed should the need arise 

Maybe a bit cheeky but any chance you'd be tempted to sell it on if you're not using? Wife and I are looking to get two for this year to give her a bit more support when sleeping as she'll be nearly six months pregnant, and the cost of two brand new is quite steep.

51 minutes ago, woyski said:

Welcoming recommendations for hiking/walking boots - ready to leave my wellies and destroyed converse behind. Bonus points for ones good for narrow feet, high arches and supination/underpronation (I'm really fun at parties)

Best just to go in a shop and try a load of boots on (or even get a proper fitting). What works for one person (even if they need the same things you need) won't necessarily work for the next person.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mouserat said:

Maybe a bit cheeky but any chance you'd be tempted to sell it on if you're not using? Wife and I are looking to get two for this year to give her a bit more support when sleeping as she'll be nearly six months pregnant, and the cost of two brand new is quite steep.

Will have a think and check it’s still ok .. only slept on it the one night 

7 hours ago, sedra said:

IMG_2494.png

I haven't slept on one but did give one a go in Decathlon yesterday. It felt pretty comfy but with the cost (£120 x 2, excluding pump) and the weight and bulkiness for coach travel is guiding me to the below instead. I've used similar for years and find them comfy enough.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-bed-basic-camp-bed-60-cm-1-person/_/R-p-340395?mc=8755737&c=dark petrol blue

2 hours ago, woyski said:

You're unlikely to get boots with great arch support off the shelf, you should look at getting a pair of insoles. I'd recommend green Supafeet at around 30 quid. I have narrow feet and Scarpa boots seem to fit me.

Edited by Johnnyseven
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, woyski said:

It's probably a bit boring everyone recommending Decathlon stuff all the time, but I'm on my second pair of Quecha hiking boots in about ten years, and honestly they go for miles and miles and miles in comfort, waterproof too.

19 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

It's probably a bit boring everyone recommending Decathlon stuff all the time, but I'm on my second pair of Quecha hiking boots in about ten years, and honestly they go for miles and miles and miles in comfort, waterproof too.

Yeah, rather than worry about getting the absolute best possible, I just went with Quechua as a dependable good value option - not the cheapest ones they had, but the next up in the range. I think they were about 50 quid at the time. Didn't need much breaking in either, and about 6-7 years later* they're still going strong.

I'm sure that there's probably better boots out there, if you're prepared to splash the cash. But for festival use the Quechua ones have been a good option at a great price.

*albeit they don't get much use outside of festivals

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Yeah, rather than worry about getting the absolute best possible, I just went with Quechua as a dependable good value option - not the cheapest ones they had, but the next up in the range. I think they were about 50 quid at the time. Didn't need much breaking in either, and about 6-7 years later* they're still going strong.

I'm sure that there's probably better boots out there, if you're prepared to splash the cash. But for festival use the Quechua ones have been a good option at a great price.

*albeit they don't get much use outside of festivals

My first pair got me successfully through a three day hike in the Simian Mountains in Ethiopia in 2011 and then spectacularly failed at Download 2016 which was the wettest festival I've ever been to.  In hindsight I think I did push them a bit far!

Ahh thanks so much for the walking boot recs all! Good to know I'll be able to get some reasonable ones for this purpose for cheaper than I thought. Will definitely try to head in-store to try them on as well.

10 hours ago, sedra said:

IMG_2494.png

We (Mrs and I) have been using these for 5+ years now - we do 4/5 festivals a year (Glasto plus Oxfam volunteering) and we love them. They are easy to blow up and for us are game changers for comfort and being able to walk in the morning after sleeping 😀

7 hours ago, woyski said:

I got some really good Hi Tec ones from this website a good few years back and they've served me well 

https://www.sportsshoes.com/store/hi-tec