Last night i watched Jools Holland........... and

ghandi

Bet you don't mind when Arcade Fire sing in French. ;)

I was very impressed by Benjamin Booker and Robert Randolph's Family Band. Manics were good too, I thought. I like the new stuff though.

Nobody posted about Future Islands' crazy dancing last week. Has the fad died down?

I don’t mind the fact that it’s German, it’s just hilariously bad. And I like them, sort of. Does kind of makes more sense when Regine sings French, though, with it being her first language.

I liked Benjamin Booker a lot too. And the Future Islands frontman is great, it doesn’t even seem silly to me now.

Edit: It’s not actually ‘bad', as there’s no such thing as bad music. I’ve got to keep a consistent stance on that, to avoid being exposed. Not to my tastes, I’ll say.

Edited by bocumaroy

I like the Manics politics, idealism (bit w*nky, but their '90's Clash-ish aesthetic) and interviews far more than I like their music. And I like their music.

Nicky Wire never fails to make me look at things in a slightly different way that I would have otherwise. And i thank him for that. Whether I agree with him or not.

I agree for the most part. Motorcycle Emptiness is still fantastic and I like The Holy Bible, but their set was probably my least favourite at Glastonbury. I don’t think they’ve aged well. Their stance on Hillsborough and the SYMM song really endeared me to them, in particular.

Nicky Wire’s said some pretty fucking stupid things though. The stuff about Michael Stipe in particular put me off them and seemed to go completely against a lot of what they supposedly stand for.

I don’t mind the fact that it’s German, it’s just hilariously bad. And I like them, sort of. Does kind of makes more sense when Regine sings French, though, with it being her first language.

I liked Benjamin Booker a lot too. And the Future Islands frontman is great, it doesn’t even seem silly to me now.

Edit: It’s not actually ‘bad', as there’s no such thing as bad music. I’ve got to keep a consistent stance on that, to avoid being exposed. Not to my tastes, I’ll say.

It's a German lady singing the German bit though... except for maybe a couple of bars. But fair enough anyway.

Oh, yeah, to be clear, I didn’t have a problem with the language thing at all. I did find it a bit bizarre as I wasn’t aware of any connection the band had to Germany, which just sort of added to the surreal humour of the situation (I was having a bit of a weird moment at this point, and it probably wasn’t particularly funny, in hindsight).

I agree for the most part. Motorcycle Emptiness is still fantastic and I like The Holy Bible, but their set was probably my least favourite at Glastonbury. I don’t think they’ve aged well. Their stance on Hillsborough and the SYMM song really endeared me to them, in particular.

Nicky Wire’s said some pretty fucking stupid things though. The stuff about Michael Stipe in particular put me off them and seemed to go completely against a lot of what they supposedly stand for.

Yep agreed.

I was quite careful in qualifying what i said by stating i don't agree with everything NW says.

He does make for a compelling to read interviewee though...in musician / music press terms.

I've just watched last nights Jools and only one artist really connected with me and sadly his performance of this is not on you tube to paste, bad here it is anyway, a great performance of this song, loved it.

and what about Melanie De Biasio I didn't link the Youtube video for nothing, I think she is bringing something refreshing although old in some ways to the music world. Its the lesser known acts on Jools that only matter really, this is where his show excels in not the big hitters.

she was the only one that caught my attention. Oh and the German bit and not a fan of them but liked that tune. The dancing man in the islands was the best thing visually for quite some time. Since the girl sliding backwards down the stairs that is. ;) Edited by whisty

lab......shit

rival sons.......sounds like a group that doesnt know how they wont to sound

rumer ...........elaine page sort of stuff ....should have been around 15 years ago and she would have been ok..

who ever was next with the guitars ....he fought for the ones he loved so much he died ..

sinead ........bloody godless ....so naaaaaaa girl get the fuck outa here ...

this weeks jools seemed to be all bloody religious wtf i hate religion more than i hate winter lol ..have i said i hate winter .....no ill save that for another time [ and before any religious people have a go i dont mine people but keep religion to your self ..]

ok on with the show

the girl with the hair .......very nice if i was going to sleep which im not

and back to lab ..........not my church old sons .....till next week byeee

Edited by guypjfreak

I thought Sinead was pretty much anti-religion in her racket, er, song.

The guy with guitars was Adam Cohen, Leonard Cohen's son - rather have his dad to be honest, but I did like the girl(s) with hair (Ibeyi - they're both twins!).

Also thought Labrinth channelling Ray Charles was rather brilliant - I'd put myself out to get me a bit of that on West Holts (or is he massive enough to take the Pyramid nowsabouts?)

Absolutely first class tonight. Holly, Sinead, Rumer, and most of all Labrinth. A revelation. He's just been fucking around until now.

I on the other hand I thought it was the worst episode of the show I've seen in my years of watching it. Bloody bland dreadfulness throughout.

But, y'know, each to their own.

Edited by theevilfridge
  • Downvote 1

U2 ..have run out of songs and looked like bono wanted to fight some one lol

sam squeaky smith ..........was he on x factor sounds shite enough to of been

zola jesus...........funny looking bird doing power walking and weird dancing trying to be flo

Interpol...........bit franzy but not to bad for half the time

the old sons dave and phil great stuff but that Jools HAD TO RUIN IT why cant he just leave that bloody piano alone ...go back to playing the Lamar tree every year Jools

and its back to sam smith and a song that sounds just like the last one only this ones not even his own squeak squeak ahhhoooooooooooaahhoooooooooo sqeak

slaves .........NOW THATS BETTER get in there old son

AND

U2 better than the first