Acts with planned activity on or around June 2013

Guest gibbin82

Without trying to start another guess the headliners thread and leaving the Stones aside, what acts have already announced plans for a tour or an album release on or close to June next year that may make them a Glastonbury possibility. For a couple of starters Roger Waters will be touring Europe with The Wall again (Glastonbury possibility very unlikely due to the size of the show) and Steve Hackett is also doing a tour of his Genesis Revisited II album that was released this week (IMO Glastonbury possibility very likely)

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Day are playing Emirates Stadium on 1st June, and I got all excited until I checked the rest of their tour dates for next year, which include:

June 23rd - St Petersburg, Russia

June 28th - Bravalla Festival, Sweden

June 30th - Oslo, Norway.

Bugger.

Good idea for a thread!

A quick Google throws up several candidates for the legends slot:

Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler both have dates lined up around Europe in June '13

The Moody Blues have a UK tour ending on 23 June

Also:

Depeche Mode playing around Europe, but in Kiev on the Saturday night

Iron Maiden at Download on 15 June

Still not sure I believe Emily was telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

The Eavi do have form with economies of truth and headliners. Stevie Wonder being a classic example.... I think he was back up for The Stones? But Im sure he would have had conversations even at the point he was ruled out by Emily.

I have zero information on this but cant help thinking there is something in it.

Emily assured me that at the time she said Stevie Wonder wasn't playing he'd not been approached by Glasto; while I can't be sure that's the truth, I'm inclined to believe her. It might even be the case that the tweet about Stevie that she replied to to say he wasn't playing was what caused Glasto to go off and book him.

Long before Emily said that Glasto didn't have the Roses for next year, Melvin Benn (who runs Reading/Leeds) had said that R/L didn't have them and that Glasto wouldn't either. It's a very reasonable presuumption that he said that because he knew they were tied into other shows that made Glasto impossible.

There's a history of Michael making over-statements about bands being booked as headliners when they're not 100% booked, but that's as far as any 'untruths' go from the Eavii as far as I'm aware.

And given that Michael has quite happily been dropping the stones name as a possible headliner, why would they do the exact opposite over another band?

I of course can't be 100% sure about whether Emily was being truthful about the Roses - I'll only know for sure when the headliners are announced. But I'll be surprised like I've never been surprised over everything festival since i've been running efestivals it it turns out that the Roses are a headliner after all.

It might be the case that they end up popping up at the fest for a 'secret' show, but if that happens that'll be something which is sorted out at a later date, and whuich wouldn't make Emily's statement from a few weeks back untruthful. It's off-the-scale unlikely that they'd agree to a secret show now before their just-announced shows have even gone on sale; the promoter of those shows wouldn't allow it to happen until he's sure of having sold all of the tickets.

It's exceedingly clear that everything the Roses have done since reforming has been about maximising the money. Playing Glastonbury next summer is something which would subtract from maximising the money to a massive extent.

Why would it subtract from them making money? Glasto may not pay as much, but you get much more coverage than other festivals. The Roses will sell these dates out on Friday, and I'd assume that they would then be free do what they want. I've not heard anywhere that these dates are exclsive and I'm assuming there will be more dates next year. They can't headline the festivals that they did last year, which kind of leaves Glastonbury.

I'm 50/50 that they might do it. Especailly now that we know they are playing big shows around that time, so will have crew, merchandise, stage set, all planned and ready.

I think they're more likely than the Rolling Stones to be honest. I just don't think Mick gives a rats arse about Glastonbury, and they don't pay enough for them.