Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

Rolling Stones 2013 U.S. Tour: AEG In, Paul Dainty/Virgin Out, Sources Say

NEWS

By Ray Waddell, Nashville | March 19, 2013 7:00 PM EDT

A deal for Australian promoter Paul Dainty and Virgin Music to promote a North American Rolling Stones tour of a confirmed 18 shows has fallen through, and AEG Live has stepped in to promote the shows, sources tell Billboard. The Stones will still roll and an announcement for the tour -- which still has not been officially confirmed -- will likely come before the end of the month.

Billboard.biz said in a March 7 article that Dainty/Virgin would promote the run, and sources confirm that a deal was in place. But now sources say the promoters couldn’t come to financial terms with the band on a guarantee believed to be in the $80 million range. According to sources, AEG got the deal done today, even after AEG CEO Tim Leiweke stepped down on Thursday.

Dainty and Virgin ponied up an estimated $25 million to present the band’s 50th Anniversary shows late last year at the O2 in London, Barclays Center in Brooklyn, and Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. Those five shows grossed a total of $38,687,010 and sold 73,702 tickets. While that would seem like a strong profit, margins on Stones shows are especially tight, given the huge production values and other show costs; a pay-per-view live broadcast from the Newark show that was part of the deal did less-than-spectacular business, according to sources.

The deal for Dainty to promote this year’s shows was agreed to in principle, and the promoter tried to bring together a wide range of other promoters for financial support, but ultimately Dainty couldn’t deliver a deal that was palatable to the band.

Reps for AEG and Dainty could not be reached for comment at press

[www.billboard.com]

Rolling Stones 2013 U.S. Tour: AEG In, Paul Dainty/Virgin Out, Sources Say

NEWS

By Ray Waddell, Nashville | March 19, 2013 7:00 PM EDT

A deal for Australian promoter Paul Dainty and Virgin Music to promote a North American Rolling Stones tour of a confirmed 18 shows has fallen through, and AEG Live has stepped in to promote the shows, sources tell Billboard. The Stones will still roll and an announcement for the tour -- which still has not been officially confirmed -- will likely come before the end of the month.

Billboard.biz said in a March 7 article that Dainty/Virgin would promote the run, and sources confirm that a deal was in place. But now sources say the promoters couldn’t come to financial terms with the band on a guarantee believed to be in the $80 million range. According to sources, AEG got the deal done today, even after AEG CEO Tim Leiweke stepped down on Thursday.

Dainty and Virgin ponied up an estimated $25 million to present the band’s 50th Anniversary shows late last year at the O2 in London, Barclays Center in Brooklyn, and Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. Those five shows grossed a total of $38,687,010 and sold 73,702 tickets. While that would seem like a strong profit, margins on Stones shows are especially tight, given the huge production values and other show costs; a pay-per-view live broadcast from the Newark show that was part of the deal did less-than-spectacular business, according to sources.

The deal for Dainty to promote this year’s shows was agreed to in principle, and the promoter tried to bring together a wide range of other promoters for financial support, but ultimately Dainty couldn’t deliver a deal that was palatable to the band.

Reps for AEG and Dainty could not be reached for comment at press

[www.billboard.com]

if every word of that is true then I just can't see them doing Glastonbury, unless Glastonbury is something being done outside of the rest of the tour - which doesn't seem too likely to me, but I guess anything is possible.

The plot definitely thickens, but if Glastonbury was on the cards beforehand I'm not sure that would rule it out. I think it was always going to be separate from any US tour.

Announcement due in the next 10 days, though.

If the Stones are doing Hyde Park, that's an AEG show too - which suggests to me that the mentioned $80M will be for every show, not just in the USA.

Would a promoter guarantee an amount when they don't have control over all the shows? I'm not so sure they would.

"a pay-per-view live broadcast from the Newark show that was part of the deal did less-than-spectacular business, according to sources."

That's the bit that jumped out at me.

I'm not surprised, to be honest. Who wants to pay to livestream a concert in this day and age? Anyone who wanted it would have been torrenting it shortly afterwards...

If the Stones are doing Hyde Park, that's an AEG show too - which suggests to me that the mentioned $80M will be for every show, not just in the USA.

Would a promoter guarantee an amount when they don't have control over all the shows? I'm not so sure they would.

Perhaps that's why AEG stepped up to cover the American shows? Virgin had the 18 US shows,

AEG the 2 Hyde park dates, virgin pull out an AEG see it as a perfect fit?

Perhaps that's why AEG stepped up to cover the American shows? Virgin had the 18 US shows,

AEG the 2 Hyde park dates, virgin pull out an AEG see it as a perfect fit?

This: Could be an extra 80 million for the US shows as well as Hyde Park. If the Stones were always going to be doing Hyde Park, then the same AEG/Glasto clash would occur.

So if the 5 shows in last year got the stones 25mil as reported, that's 5 mill each show. It's being reported 18 shows in total for a new tour. If the ticket prices are similar with the same amount of people attending each venue that's 90mil.

The Virgin promoters could not guarantee 80mil.

Wonder if that means the ticket prices have been lowered or the fact that Glastonbury offer was taken into account and is considerably less than the 5 mil a show.