Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

From another point of view Glastonbury may need them to make this year look a success. 3 average headliners is going to look weak from the worlds best festival! It may be the down fall of Glastonbury. Not just because of the Stones but the pull it has for big bands if general. This years success will determine if and how quickly it sells out next year

Yes, yes its not all about the headliners and all that shite. But i bet 90% of the people that bought tickets are expecting some big bands.

Could be, but nobody has a clue who the 3rd headliner is. If it ends up being Arctics, Mumfords and somebody big then people will forget about the Stones very quickly

Edited by Englishdragon

they had masses of bad publicity because of their shows in Sun City, I wasn't really aware of how popular they were.. UEF said they were finished. I'd really grown to hate them by then... we are the champions, no time for losers... shove it lads

In their case for The Sun City gigs the bad publicity the press agve at the time backfired and just goes to show how fickle the press and public really are.The difference with them at Live Aid was they out performed everyone else.

If the Stones are doing Hyde Park, that's an AEG show too - which suggests to me that the mentioned $80M will be for every show, not just in the USA.

Would a promoter guarantee an amount when they don't have control over all the shows? I'm not so sure they would.

But surely most acts which play at Glastonbury are on their own tours with their own promoters and still play at the festival?

I can't really see that this news makes a Glastonbury appearance any less likely for them as I think that if the stones at Glasto happens it will be a 'standalone show'

But surely most acts which play at Glastonbury are on their own tours with their own promoters and still play at the festival?

I can't really see that this news makes a Glastonbury appearance any less likely for them as I think that if the stones at Glasto happens it will be a 'standalone show'

those other bands are generally not doing a competing tour, and neither do they have a very stupid amount guaranteed to them for that tour.

Anyone who bought a Glasto ticket on the basis that the stones might be playing (and i doubt that the numbers of those are small) are far less likely to pay the premium prices for a stones ticket elsewhere - and so that impacts on the earning potential of those other stones dates.

The numbers of these with glasto tix might be comparatively small compared to the total number of stones tickets, but they're the people in the 'profit margin' area of the tour finances. The tour is going to need a full house every night to meet the cost obligations, and Glasto runs the risk of causing that not to happen.

Remember, we're talking $80M here - where the profits will be comparatively small if it maxes out, but the losses will be huge if it doesn't.

those other bands are generally not doing a competing tour, and neither do they have a very stupid amount guaranteed to them for that tour.

Anyone who bought a Glasto ticket on the basis that the stones might be playing (and i doubt that the numbers of those are small) are far less likely to pay the premium prices for a stones ticket elsewhere - and so that impacts on the earning potential of those other stones dates.

The numbers of these with glasto tix might be comparatively small compared to the total number of stones tickets, but they're the people in the 'profit margin' area of the tour finances. The tour is going to need a full house every night to meet the cost obligations, and Glasto runs the risk of causing that not to happen.

Remember, we're talking $80M here - where the profits will be comparatively small if it maxes out, but the losses will be huge if it doesn't.

Surely that's based on America mainly though rather than any big Hyde Park gig? I doubt Glasto would impact on any US tour. Since Glasto is sold out, maybe they would think a great performance on live tv would bump up any Hyde Park sales for Stones fans? If you are a Stones fan buying a glasto tic on the off chance of them playing, you'd go to both gigs anyway i'd have thought...

I can't really fathom this out. Would one show really impact them making that much profit in other concerts? If the Hyde Park shows do transpire to be the only ones in Europe the tickets will sell like hotcakes. The US show shouldn't have any impact on Glastonbury, esp as AEG has stepped in...

Are we saying they'd want to make up the money they'd 'lose' doing Glasto? Would they really want to do that? If we're talking such massive sums I'm sure they'd do that pretty easily over all their dates this year, or maybe the figures have been worked out to factor Glasto in already.

I guess what I'm saying is, they either want to do Glasto, or they don't. I can't see them working their whole tour around Glastonbury, and what they might 'lose' from headlining. In short, none the god-damn wiser!

Surely that's based on America mainly though rather than any big Hyde Park gig? I doubt Glasto would impact on any US tour. Since Glasto is sold out, maybe they would think a great performance on live tv would bump up any Hyde Park sales for Stones fans? If you are a Stones fan buying a glasto tic on the off chance of them playing, you'd go to both gigs anyway i'd have thought...

I would imagine they would like the shows to sell out before end of June.

With reports of Rolling Stones being poor/hit or miss during a live performance they may opt out of a full performance being recorded by BBC.

The odds are stacking up against a Glasto appearance

it depends if the deal is for the US shows only, or for all of the shows. Given that the UK shows (outside of Glasto) are AEG shows too, my guess is that it's for all shows.

As for going to both shows, there's a recession on. That's going to impact onto some of the people who might have done both, as well as impact onto sales generally.

Don't forget, a good number of people who "have to see the stones" will have done so with those shows a few months back, so some of the demand to see them has already been satisfied, again impacting onto the demand for these new shows.

The unknown equation in all this is what the demand actually is. The suggestion with the pay-to-view stuff with the last shows is that outside of a hardcore the demand is not spectacularly big.

and it'll depend on the price of the tickets. If they're really deluded - which they may well be - and do some large shows with tickets anywhere near what the last ones cost, they could end up retiring with their last shows not even being sold out

this is what I'm getting at - it's a case of everything having to balance out for AEG to see paying the stones $80M and making a profit for themselves all do-able within the whole tour situation.

While it might be the case that AEG can have no sway over a Glasto show because that's the condition that the stones have set, it's still very much the case that AEG would feel in a safer position if there was no Glasto show.

At the end of the day I reckon that Mick will be far more interested in the headline money figure than he will keeping a Glasto show, but I can only guess at it really.

Leonard Cohen wasn't filmed at all... yes, I know he wasn't a headliner. Neil Young only had a few songs filmed...

Not filmed... or not transmitted?

Only one I can think of off the top of my head that explicitly said "no filming" was Van the Man.

Do we know if the only European shows will be at Hyde park?

That bv guy on the IIRC forum said Hyde Park would be the only European shows, didn't he? (not to say he's definitely right, obv).

If these shows are the last ones they do, do you think Mick & co will realise the fact a glasto headline will potentially introduce their music to a whole new generation, thus giving them bundles of royalties? How far would that go to making up any shortfall on what they'd usually make for one gig?

That bv guy on the IIRC forum said Hyde Park would be the only European shows, didn't he? (not to say he's definitely right, obv).

If these shows are the last ones they do, do you think Mick & co will realise the fact a glasto headline will potentially introduce their music to a whole new generation, thus giving them bundles of royalties? How far would that go to making up any shortfall on what they'd usually make for one gig?

trouble is, the whole new generation don't pay for music!

trouble is, the whole new generation don't pay for music!

Maybe, but it's pretty well known that artists' music sales spike a lot when ther headline Glastonbury (and other festivals, I'm sure) - didn't someone put on here that Beyonce's increased by 800% or something? How much could that go towards compensating for a lower fee than they're used to? Or does Mick not give a shit about that and just want a massive flat fee, like Neil says?

I can't help thinking the Stones will do it because they havent got many, if any, touring years left in them. If it's good enough for The Who/ McCartney etc... Like I said, they'll either do it, or they won't - they certainly won't work any other tour dates around it so I can't see how any stories coming out about upcoming shows will impact Glasto.

this is what I'm getting at - it's a case of everything having to balance out for AEG to see paying the stones $80M and making a profit for themselves all do-able within the whole tour situation.

While it might be the case that AEG can have no sway over a Glasto show because that's the condition that the stones have set, it's still very much the case that AEG would feel in a safer position if there was no Glasto show.

At the end of the day I reckon that Mick will be far more interested in the headline money figure than he will keeping a Glasto show, but I can only guess at it really.

Am I the only one thinking that if Rolling Stones were to do two Hyde Park shows (as is predicted) then the original dates for Hyde Park would have meant that they couldn't, because Glasto and the first weekend of Hyde Park were the same weekend making it very difficult to do whereas now that Hyde Park have conveniently moved their dates they could do Glasto and then the following two weekends at Hyde Park?

Edited by jr1312

Either way, Glastonbury is way down the list in terms of priorities. Sad truth is that Mick gives more a of a shit about playing the Fed-Ex Arena in Maryland or the Donald Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Arkansas than he does about Glasto.

Middle America. A worthy fucking adversary dude.

Edited by The Nal