Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Just got out from watching T2 - loved it! I actually only saw the first one earlier this year, having read the book many years ago in my teens. T2 is a less gritty but I found it so entertaining throughout. Spud really is the star of the show, the only one with any soul. @FuzzyDunlop - would love to know what the big plot hole was as nothing jumped out at me (spoilered, naturally!)

20 minutes ago, bunique said:

Just got out from watching T2 - loved it! I actually only saw the first one earlier this year, having read the book many years ago in my teens. T2 is a less gritty but I found it so entertaining throughout. Spud really is the star of the show, the only one with any soul. @FuzzyDunlop - would love to know what the big plot hole was as nothing jumped out at me (spoilered, naturally!)

Not sure how to do the "spoiler" tab......  I tell you my issue if I can figure it out

14 hours ago, big__phil said:

Re-watched Shindler's List over the weekend, ahead of a trip to Krakow in a couple of weeks. I think it's a masterpiece, and my favourite Spielberg film.

Let's have a vote: favourite Spielberg?

Jaws. As ttd said it was some scary shit at the time and that music......

Watched Duke Of Burgundy yesterday, because I'm classy and in to deep, artsy films. I barley noticed the lesbian BDSM. A compelling watch, with interesting shifts in the power between the characters.

Hacksaw Ridge on Sunday night as well, which was a movie of extremes. I didn't love it, but the second half was well executed.

Went to see John Wick 2 last night. Personal opinion is that it wasn't as good as the first (the whole dead dog/wife emotional aspect of that film was missing) but it was still excellent and the action sequences (which are pretty much non stop) were fantastic and some of the best I've seen in film for ages. It's ridicules and over the top and all the better for it. Great to see Keanu back in some good films after a long slog of being in a lot of shite.

What a hilarious/embarrassing cockup at the Oscars last night :lol: feel sorry for all of the La La Land people on that stage, although it seemed (to me) inevitable that Moonlight was gonna win despite me not even having seen it (which is something I must get around to together with the other nominees).

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

What a hilarious/embarrassing cockup at the Oscars last night :lol: feel sorry for all of the La La Land people on that stage, although it seemed (to me) inevitable that Moonlight was gonna win despite me not even having seen it (which is something I must get around to together with the other nominees).

Haven't seen any of the movies and couldn't care less about any of them. The Oscars are an embarrassment to the human race. So much drama and bollocks. 

Very very funny though. Best thing thats ever happened in the Oscars. 

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody explain to me what the fuck is the point of this new Beauty & The Beast? Cinderella and Maleficent were fine because they focus on side characters from the original films (Walt's Cinderella is largely about the exploits of anthropomorphic mice, the man wrote what he knew) and were completely different films. Then it looked to me like The Lion King from last year and Beauty & The Beast now are shot-for-shot, line-for-line recreations of the originals, with uncanny valley CGI thrown in for good measure. Why am I going to pay £10 to sit in a cinema to be annoyed by Emma Watson and everybody who can't sit through a film without moving around or crunching loudly, when I already have the same film but better on blu ray?

• Upvote 1

Right so I watched it out of morbid curiosity, and it's so shockingly bad, it's comfortably one of the worst films I've ever seen, yet it's getting loads of good reviews. What the fuck is happening here? I suppose if you'd never seen the original then it'd at least have extremely well written songs in it, and there are one or two amusing bits and the voice of Ian McKellen, but that's literally as far as it goes. Emma Watson's acting would barely be good enough to get her the part in a primary school panto, her singing is painful. The beast's CGI work is distracting, you can get more realistic than that playing a video game, and at least the characters in the video game fit their environment. His personality is really stunted in comparison to the original and there's no real chemistry between him and Belle, all of their scenes are awkward to watch. The majority of it is nearly shot-for-shot, word-for-word remaking of the original, but by a director who clearly has no understanding at all why the original was good or what made it work. It's so poorly done that it's jarring because the whole time you're being reminded of a far far better version of what you're sitting in front of, so if I'd never seen the original I'd probably just be bored by it, but because I already know the film I got this constant nagging deja vu-like sense of what total shit I was watching. Then there's the few bits that they do change, and some are like really minor weird rearrangements which just seem out of place at best, or completely fuck up the impact of a bit of dialogue or a scene at best. There's a couple of larger changes; one of which is an OKish new song, but the other ones just fuck up the sense of the film beyond what it originally was. The original Beauty & The Beast had a lot of dodgy things plot-wise, but it got a pass because it's nearly impossible to think about them when you're watching the film when it's so engaging and effective at communicating what it wants you to feel. With the new changes the plot gets pushed completely to its limit and you're just thinking about that because of how crap the film is, and they stick out as changes because it's a fucking remake and it's just like, what the fuck, why are these here? They're drawing attention to these ill-fitting plot elements which aren't thought out at all. Everybody I know who went to see it enjoyed it, which is why I ended up watching it; the main reasons give for enjoying it is the actor who was Gaston was funny and hot, and the costumes were good. Well it's true that Gaston is funny and hot, and the costumes are fine (tbh it'd be unforgivable if they weren't) but in the grand scheme of things, that's like a couple of little salad leaves in a giant turd sandwich.

All of the above sins, you would think would be enough, but they save the really egregious shit until right at the end. One of the big stories about this film during the promotion is that Disney's first gay character is in this film (Congratufuckinglations, you have one token queer, in a musical no less, in the year 2017. Let's get you a medal...). What this promise amounts to is something that would be a completely insignificant half-second gag if they weren't making a song and dance about it in the press, and if it wasn't like a 1970s Carry On version of what having a gay character in your film is. It's ham-fisted offensive shite.

These is but a breif summary of my full thoughts on what a shitshow it really was. Fuck this film.