Films

Rufus Gwertigan

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

And speaking of jungle book, I thought the recent version was much better than I was expecting. 

Ditto, although I thought the kid was a bit hit and miss. Decent watch though, and that's coming from somebody who doesn't care for the original.

10 hours ago, The Nal said:

Yeah they're all awful. Fucking hated the Jungle Book as a kid. Never liked the muppets. 

The musical numbers in Willy Wonka were the bits I fast forwarded through.

My Fair Lady? Mama Mia. :lol: WTF?! .

Well I'll just let my case lie, as you've shown yourself to be clinically insane with the admission that you have "Never liked the muppets".

19 hours ago, CHRLY said:

No mention of West Side Story? One of the very best.

The 'umbrella bit' in Singin' in the Rain completely encapsulates the magic of cinema; Euphoric and transcendent. 

Bugsy Malone is one of the most charming films ever made.

#TeamMusical 

Haven't seen any of these. Will watch.

21 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Watched Arrival last night. Meh. 

Yeah I watched Arrival the other night. Was okay, nothing spectacular. I particularly enjoyed Renner's character develpoment of being the 'smart guy' - nothing more. They even managed to give him a scene where he had a whiteboard of formulas.

Well made film though - good score from Johannssonn.

Finally got round to Hell or High Water - can't remember watching a better film in the last 12 months. Foster and Bridges were superb and that's no slight on Pine. Well directed too - I'm unfamiliar with David Mackenzie's previous work, but may well dig out some of his back catalogue after that - any suggestions ?

28 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Oscar nominations are in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38716725

Nice to see Dev Patel doing well. Met him once and he was a genuinely lovely bloke. Will be watching Lion asap.

I'm very pleased to see Isabelle Huppert get a nomination. Every year I hope to see an erosion of the Academy's bias towards 'Anglocinema', so I'm hoping that the acknowledgement of her fantastic performance is the start. 

I knew Silence was incredibly divisive for audiences, but I'm surprised it got so few nominations.

Captain Fantastic is now straight to the front of my watchlist. I think Viggo Mortensen's talents are so underrated, so will definitely be giving it a watch ASAP.  

3 words for that episode and the 3rd is shark.  Sadly on the basis of this series I think they are going to go full moonlighting and completely shit things up with novelty episodes, 4th wall breaking moments and so on until someone pulls the plug on a show obviously past it's sell by.

9 hours ago, Spindles said:

3 words for that episode and the 3rd is shark.  Sadly on the basis of this series I think they are going to go full moonlighting and completely shit things up with novelty episodes, 4th wall breaking moments and so on until someone pulls the plug on a show obviously past it's sell by.

Give over. Its still the best current US comedy. They have mixed it up so far this season by taking things away from the bar. When you are into your 12th season you need to do some things differently to stop things getting way too stagnant.

What the hell are you lot on about?

Watched Moana last night, and pleased to say it was an enjoyable watch. However in this year of strong contenders for best animation, I don't think it'll trouble Kubo for my favourite of the nominations, although I haven't yet seen Red Turtle or My Life As A Zucchini.

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

What the hell are you lot on about?

Watched Moana last night, and pleased to say it was an enjoyable watch. However in this year of strong contenders for best animation, I don't think it'll trouble Kubo for my favourite of the nominations, although I haven't yet seen Red Turtle or My Life As A Zucchini.

I saw Kubo last weekend with my 3 year old - I enjoyed, but it was a bit dark for my son.  Amazing animation. 

Out of the Oscar list, then Zootopia/Zootropolis gets my vote.

54 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

I saw Kubo last weekend with my 3 year old - I enjoyed, but it was a bit dark for my son.  Amazing animation. 

Out of the Oscar list, then Zootopia/Zootropolis gets my vote.

Not surprised - those sisters are pretty scary. I think the animation used in Kubo is what sets it out from the other two I've seen. Zootopia is also very good, and would probably have been my choice any other year.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Saw Trainspotting 2 earlier. It's good, not as good as the original obviously, but still very enjoyable.

It's one long love letter to the original.

Good to hear.

Havent been to the pictures in years but going to go see this next weekend. 

Was worried it would be utter crap.

10 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Saw Trainspotting 2 earlier. It's good, not as good as the original obviously, but still very enjoyable.

It's one long love letter to the original.

Its worth a watch. It doesn't feel like its trying to just recreate the original (like star wars did) or feel like they are just doing it for the money. Its a new film. Which I liked.

But.... there is a massive plot hole you can drive a bus through & one thing I loved about the first was how believable it was. This loses some of it.

I felt on a couple of occaisions they were trying too hard to be funny (The catholic bit for example). Begbie having a pop or spud's gormless look was much funnier.

I think it was alright... didn't make me wish they didn't do it, but the original is miles better.