Films

Rufus Gwertigan

On 9 November 2016 at 1:27 AM, CHRLY said:

Finally off to see I, Daniel Blake tomorrow.

I wasn't massively bothered at the midpoint of this. It was nice but it felt like there was a load of cheap devices used to make the audience feel for the characters (3 legged dog). The second half was really hard hitting, though. It's stuck with me since. Very good.

On 08/11/2016 at 11:35 PM, Spindles said:

After a bit of a drought on interesting new films in the usual places I came across War dogs tonight.  Entertaining in the same way as Wolf of wall street or Lord of war, which it sort of sits comfortably in between.  As ever Jonah Hill shines in the role of a ludicrous character and from the moment he walks onscreen he dominates.

Watched this last night because of your comment. You've perfectly desribed it as sitting between Lord of War and Wolf, I quite enjoyed it - so cheers.

Whats the next few month looking like film wise? I am a bit out of the loop. What is looking to be in the Oscar collection this year?

Edited by mjsell

A good question.  Obviously we have Rogue one and the new Harry Potter film coming out December, so that will cover your family blockbuster market.  Usually awards season is good for leaks of some interesting stuff that otherwise wouldn't get the attention if released elsewhere in the year (I'm thinking of films in recent years like Birdman, Silver linings playbook and so on).

6 minutes ago, Spindles said:

A good question.  Obviously we have Rogue one and the new Harry Potter film coming out December, so that will cover your family blockbuster market.  Usually awards season is good for leaks of some interesting stuff that otherwise wouldn't get the attention if released elsewhere in the year (I'm thinking of films in recent years like Birdman, Silver linings playbook and so on).

Yeah, I've noticed they have delayed the release of the Snowden film in the UK compared to the September release in the US and Germany - I can only assume that is something to do with the oscars, but then I dont think it has recieved wholely successful reviews.

Past that and those family blockbusters you've mentioned I dont know of what else is in the pipeline.

Edited by mjsell

On 11/10/2016 at 11:01 AM, big__phil said:

Watched The Tale of the Princess Kaguya last night. It was decent, with some very nice watercolour visuals, but not quite up to the usual high standards of Studio Ghibli. Can't put my finger on why I didn't like as much as many others though, although it could be to do with a couple of the characters

Baffling.One of the standout films of the millennium.

On 11/11/2016 at 7:34 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Baffling.One of the standout films of the millennium.

On 11/12/2016 at 5:25 PM, Winslow Leach said:

Yeah I'd agree with that, it's beautiful. One of Ghibli's absolute best.

I know, I know. It just didn't GRAB me like I was expecting. Looking back, I really didn't care for James Caan's voice acting. Perhaps I should re-watch it subtitled.

Song of The Sea I think will go down as my favourite animations of recent years. Seek it out if you haven't already seen it. Gorgeous. 

Over the weekend I watched Joy (all over the place), He Named Me Malala (a missed opportunity) and 10 Cloverfield Lane (very enjoyable - got to love John Goodman). Cartel Land this evening.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Really enjoyed Hell or High Water. Terrific performances, shot beautifully, very funny in parts and the music was perfect. 

I really wish Ben Foster would be given bigger roles. Superb actor. Stole 3.10 To Yuma aswell. 

Love that film. I always find it strange it didn't get more praise than it did.

Watched Hell of High Water the other night after the good opinions of it on here. I'm not usually a fan of a western but this was quite good. Jeff Bridges is fantastic, as is Foster - was never entirely convinced by Pine though.

Wouldnt mind seeing this Sully movie, I'm a bit of a sucker for a Tom Hanks flick.

32 minutes ago, Spindles said:

The dialogue in the second matrix film is like a sixth former trying to sound clever.  Awful stuff, some of the fight scenes are worth watching again though.  I watched all 3 back to back on acid the other month, was an entertaining time.

The Architect scene is one of the worst to ever be committed to film.

Somehow the third one is even worse. The Wachkowskis (sp) were very much one hit wonders.