Films

Rufus Gwertigan

3 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I watched 28 Days/Weeks Later over the last 2 nights. I don't know if it was just Sky or not but the first film seemed to be pretty poor picture quality and the sound seemed to be a bit all over the place.

Wasn't just Sky, the first film was mostly shot on pretty small digital cameras, so it's a deliberate choice. My problem with 28 Days Later is that the first twenty minutes or so are so good that the rest of the film just never has a hope of competing.

On 7/22/2016 at 9:42 AM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I thought Into Darkness was great. Never saw any Stark Trek before the JJ Abrams films, so I didn't really care that people thought they ripped off the other ones or weren't proper Star Trek films. Taken on their own merit they were exciting a well made space action blockbusters. I thought the whole point of the new one was to actually make a proper Star Trek film, but it's just a really shit space action blockbuster. The plot is really boring, nobody gets any character development, all the scenes feel like recycled versions of scenes from the last two. It's an utter empty vessel.

saw this the other night and i pretty much agree. i didn't hate it, but i left without it leaving much of an impression. shit bad guy with a shit plan, been there done that action sequences and i just didn't care much about what was happening. i see they've already green lit a fourth film - i hope they mix things things up a bit

Finding Dory was full on Saturday, not wanting to suffer Suicide Squad we opted for the evergreen whimsical joy of Roald Dahl and watched The BFG instead. Except it was a bit shit. The actual BFG himself is brilliant, and the young girl they've found to play the other lead was quite good as well, but Spielberg spends too much of the film lingering around and gazing at things. All the kids in the cinema got bored about a third of the way through and started being loud, then calmed down again in the final act when it gets exciting. The final act itself feels disjointed and out of place because of how meandering the rest of the film was. Worth giving a miss tbh.

Seems like pretty much all the films I see this year are shaping up to be shit, I reckon the universe is punishing me for missing Green Room and Room and Zootopia and Mustang and Love & Friendship and April & The Extraordinary World (tbf, couldn't find a screening) and Warhammer and The Lobster and pretty much everything I wanted to watch.

3 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Finding Dory was full on Saturday, not wanting to suffer Suicide Squad we opted for the evergreen whimsical joy of Roald Dahl and watched The BFG instead. Except it was a bit shit. The actual BFG himself is brilliant, and the young girl they've found to play the other lead was quite good as well, but Spielberg spends too much of the film lingering around and gazing at things. All the kids in the cinema got bored about a third of the way through and started being loud, then calmed down again in the final act when it gets exciting. The final act itself feels disjointed and out of place because of how meandering the rest of the film was. Worth giving a miss tbh.

Seems like pretty much all the films I see this year are shaping up to be shit, I reckon the universe is punishing me for missing Green Room and Room and Zootopia and Mustang and Love & Friendship and April & The Extraordinary World (tbf, couldn't find a screening) and Warhammer and The Lobster and pretty much everything I wanted to watch.

Just watch World of Tomorrow. It's on Netflix and it's better in 17 minutes than most films are in two hours.

I was talked into watching "Pride" by my housemate over the weekend and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had no idea of the story and found it incredibly heartwarming. The only negative for me were some of the terrible Welsh accents. One guy must have had a thick Irish accent because his "Welsh" sounded rather dodgy. Unless Belfast is now part of Wales, of course.... :lol:

How can you even think there is a tiny chance that suicide squad will be good?? It looks utterly awful.

I saw diary of a teenage girl last night after a colleague said it was amazing. I found it distinctly average and quite dull. The acting was good and I liked the soundtrack, but the film did nothing for me. Very underwhelming and nowhere near as profound as the makers think it was.

Fish Tank is a similar film, and much better.

On 8/9/2016 at 0:30 AM, Winslow Leach said:

Just watch World of Tomorrow. It's on Netflix and it's better in 17 minutes than most films are in two hours.

Well it wasn't on Netflix, you lying liar, but it was brilliant. Thanks for the recommendation.

On 8/12/2016 at 5:05 PM, FloorFiller said:

the Han Solo film will be the one to fuck it all up. seems like a huge mistake and i don't really understand why they're doing it

Nah, I reckon they'll have learned from Marvel how to run your studio so that you never release a mess, but some will definitely feel like a pointless exercise without being bad. I'm completely against a young Han Solo film, but they've made a pretty great casting choice for Han. Word is Donald Glover will be Lando. It all seems to be heading in the direction of "you should definitely 100% never make this film.... but if you really must, you're doing alright".

• 2 weeks later...

Watched The Martian last night.

Not normally a fan of films that mainly involve 1 character (might be one of the only people that wasn't a massive fan of Gravity) but I thoroughly enjoyed it. At 2 1/2 hours I thought it might have dragged on a bit but I was fixed to the screen for the entire film. Thought Matt Damon was brilliant in it.
Though he only had a fairly small role, I am yet to see a bad film with Chiwetel Ejiofor. (2012 was a bit iffy but he was good in it).

• 3 weeks later...