Films

Rufus Gwertigan

On 9/15/2022 at 9:22 AM, Barry Fish said:

Dopesick is very good and being a bit of a Theme Park nerd I love the Imagineer documentaries.  Will check out the others thanks.

Have you seen the Defunctland series on youtube? All about rides that went wrong and were closed down, for different reasons. Found a lot of them fascinating, especially the one about how the Black Hole at Alton Towers was dangerous because they hadn't considered what happens when oil based smoke builds up on the coaster rails.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw Don't Worry Darling on Monday night, if only curiosity thanks to the press tour meltdown that it's hard. I thought it was quite watchable. Bit messy in its resolution, sure, but I went in expecting a trainwreck and actually was reasonably entertained. Not the best movie ever, and Styles' use of about 5 different accents was distracting, but I've seen worse.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw Black Panther 2 yesterday. Dunno if it's the lack of Chadwick, Marvel Fatigue in general or the cost of living crisis, but it was about a fifth full. Usually at the IMAX at lunchtime on the first sunday after a marvel release it's either packed out (Panther 1, Avengers 3 and 4) or 3/4s full (Dr Strange 2, Thors etc)

As for the film, it had too much going on. Would've been more interesting with Nakia as the focus, with Shuri [spoiler]causing beef with the Atlantis people by building the vibranium detection machine in her grief, trying to find the blue plant or whatever it is. Cut out Ironheart and all the yank stuff completely. It was nice seeing Julia Louis Dreyfus although her subterfuge led to nothing but the arrest and subsequent jailbreak of Ross. [/spoiler]

On 11/22/2022 at 1:37 PM, DomDom1984 said:

Amsterdam definitely had a "can't keep my eyes off this" feel to it, but by god, it's AWFUL.

I'd heard really polarised things when I saw trailers for it - some weren't calling it outright awful, others very much were.

I'm not sure I've watched enough avowedly terrible movies to the end tbf. Maybe this might be worth seeking out.

On 11/14/2022 at 12:02 PM, Padjeq said:

Saw Black Panther 2 yesterday. Dunno if it's the lack of Chadwick, Marvel Fatigue in general or the cost of living crisis, but it was about a fifth full. Usually at the IMAX at lunchtime on the first sunday after a marvel release it's either packed out (Panther 1, Avengers 3 and 4) or 3/4s full (Dr Strange 2, Thors etc)

As for the film, it had too much going on. Would've been more interesting with Nakia as the focus, with Shuri [spoiler]causing beef with the Atlantis people by building the vibranium detection machine in her grief, trying to find the blue plant or whatever it is. Cut out Ironheart and all the yank stuff completely. It was nice seeing Julia Louis Dreyfus although her subterfuge led to nothing but the arrest and subsequent jailbreak of Ross. [/spoiler]

Saw this earlier. Admit a 3pm showing on a Monday isn't exactly gonna be turning others away, mind, but it was a sparse screening.

It did feel to me like one of the MCU's sadder entries tbh - it's going to be tinged that way given the shock loss of Chadwick Boseman, and the tributes to him were well done, but it did have an over-arching feel of characters acting irrationally out of grief, which tbf feels a bit more authentically done than some Marvel fodder (Thor Love and Thunder could've had that but chose panto instead, for instance).

I'll agree with you on that tbf - even with a 2hr40 run-time, it felt like a crazy amount of shit was packed into it and some could've been parked without affecting the overall story.

A Bunch of Amateurs

Lovely documentary about an amateur film making club in Bradford. Apparently there used to be loads of these across the north of England but this is one of the remaining few. And things aren't going that well for the Bradford Movie Makers either tbh. 

Would guess if it isn't already online it soon will be. My local cinema only showed it once. 

8 hours ago, Padjeq said:

This played before Violent Night on saturday afternoon. Not many people there, but everyone was laughing at the end of this trailer. Might end up being a big hit.

Violent Night any good? Seemed like a focus group recommendation turned into a movie when I saw it trailed, though can imagine it having the odd good set piece or wisecrack.

13 hours ago, charlierc said:

Violent Night any good? Seemed like a focus group recommendation turned into a movie when I saw it trailed, though can imagine it having the odd good set piece or wisecrack.

David Harbour is great. The supporting cast outside of Beverly d'Angelo and John Leguizamo are low budget netflix level. A few good gags, and some good set pieces, but overlong and uneven. Be worth a watch on streaming next xmas. The Menu, which is also out and also stars Leguizamo is the superior Rich People in Trouble film.

9 hours ago, Padjeq said:

David Harbour is great. The supporting cast outside of Beverly d'Angelo and John Leguizamo are low budget netflix level. A few good gags, and some good set pieces, but overlong and uneven. Be worth a watch on streaming next xmas. The Menu, which is also out and also stars Leguizamo is the superior Rich People in Trouble film.

I have seen The Menu, so if that's the better one, maybe I'll be content with that.

Seems like the kind of thing I might give a more curious glance if it was on a streaming platform I have rather than traipsing to a cinema for it. Maybe that's the nature of why cinemas are having difficulties getting people in through the door.

14 hours ago, charlierc said:

I have seen The Menu, so if that's the better one, maybe I'll be content with that.

Seems like the kind of thing I might give a more curious glance if it was on a streaming platform I have rather than traipsing to a cinema for it. Maybe that's the nature of why cinemas are having difficulties getting people in through the door.

It's nice that a relatively outlandish idea is released at the pictures. If it was a better film, it'd have word-of-mouth to carry it. Fair play to Universal; they're releasing Cocaine Bear too.

A trailer for another Universal film was well received (by me at least): Puss in Boots 2. Looks great. Not often a trailer has a gag-rate that high.

On 12/5/2022 at 1:15 PM, philipsteak said:

A Bunch of Amateurs

Lovely documentary about an amateur film making club in Bradford. Apparently there used to be loads of these across the north of England but this is one of the remaining few. And things aren't going that well for the Bradford Movie Makers either tbh. 

Would guess if it isn't already online it soon will be. My local cinema only showed it once. 

It's on bbc4 tonight at 10pm as part of Storyville. Definitely worth a watch. 

I remember watching the first Avatar in cinemas back in 2009/10 and thinking it looked technically great but had a bit of a thin story with too many nods to other things to it. What I don't recall is being suitably enticed to think it needed a sequel, to say nothing of it needing 13 years to actually reach the big screen.

Anyone bother with Avatar Way of Water?

59 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I remember watching the first Avatar in cinemas back in 2009/10 and thinking it looked technically great but had a bit of a thin story with too many nods to other things to it. What I don't recall is being suitably enticed to think it needed a sequel, to say nothing of it needing 13 years to actually reach the big screen.

Anyone bother with Avatar Way of Water?

I mean, I don't think many other people thought that highly of it? A huge part of it was just being the biggest new effects thing, and it did pull that off.

I won't be bothering though, despite thinking the original pulled off what it was trying to do.