Films

Rufus Gwertigan

11 hours ago, charlierc said:

I remember watching the first Avatar in cinemas back in 2009/10 and thinking it looked technically great but had a bit of a thin story with too many nods to other things to it. What I don't recall is being suitably enticed to think it needed a sequel, to say nothing of it needing 13 years to actually reach the big screen.

Anyone bother with Avatar Way of Water?

I thought it was okay, and probably made worse by its length. This new one I was completely against until it started getting great reviews. Now I'm conflicted as I generally watch every big release at the pictures. Over 3 hours though...

31 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

I thought it was okay, and probably made worse by its length. This new one I was completely against until it started getting great reviews. Now I'm conflicted as I generally watch every big release at the pictures. Over 3 hours though...

got lousy reviews in guardian.

I'm going to see new one this week because kid wants to see it...probably at imax too. I wonder if I will suffer from post avatar real world is so shit depression, or maybe it will be why did I spend so much money on that dull overlong screensaver depression.

8 hours ago, Padjeq said:

I think scale doesn't help either. Historically I've felt sci-fi works better on bigger screens, as felt when I re-watched Interstellar on TV and felt it just looked oddly small.

Reviews seem mixed for Avatar WoW, though I've noted that in general the less enthusiastic reviews seem to be coming from British critics. Which is one interpretation I guess.

On 12/23/2022 at 12:28 PM, steviewevie said:

Watched Love Actually for first time last night. Good god what a load of shite.

Anyone watched RRR? Now that is a film.

I only saw Love Actually for the first time last year. Had mixed things - some stories in it worked, some didn't. Might have had a better time watching full length versions of the ones I felt worked best.

On 12/19/2022 at 6:03 PM, Barry Fish said:

I can't get excited about Avatar...  The first film was alright but the idea they can make a number of sequels off the back of it just seems far fetched.  It wasn't that great of a story.  Basically Fern Gully for slightly older people 😛. Nothing original about the whole yarn.

The ride at Disney World is as equally uninspiring I found.  Sorin with Smurfs 😛 

... there's an Avatar ride at Disney World now?

To me the original film felt OK as a self-contained exercise. 5 sequels or whatever number it is they're aiming for just feels ridiculous.

Edited by charlierc

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I'm exhausted just watching the trailer!

He he, this couple of reviews from Rotten Tomatoes are very accurate

"To call this the best blockbuster of 2022 is only partially accurate; it’s really several of the best blockbusters, plural, you’re apt to catch this year." 

"The movie is such an irresistible and intoxicating celebration of cinematic excess that even after 187 minutes (including intermission or, as the title card announces, InteRRRval), you are left exhilarated, not exhausted." 

• 1 month later...

Watched Avatar. Better than what I was expecting, 3d is good as expected as are the uunderwater scences. They better change up the story for the next few. Oh and make that ending shorter.

All Quiet on the western front. Man it's a grime watch, as it should be. Really great film I thought

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone off to catch Marcel the Shell with Shoes On in the next few weeks? Doesn't look like it'll stick around much in the wake of Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania.

Speaking of the latter... ooooh, boy, those knives are out now. Superhero fatigue might be fictional for some, but an MCU strand of it feels mighty real for others.

27 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Anyone off to catch Marcel the Shell with Shoes On in the next few weeks? Doesn't look like it'll stick around much in the wake of Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania.

Speaking of the latter... ooooh, boy, those knives are out now. Superhero fatigue might be fictional for some, but an MCU strand of it feels mighty real for others.

I still need to watch the second ant man, as you say MCU fatigue had set in but I feel ready to start again now haha. The new ant man looked brilliant when they showed the trailer before Avater and Ive just changed my Halifax current account rewards settings so I get 1 free cinema ticket a month and you have 12 months to use them 👍

As a blockbuster fan, never want to see an MCU joint sink like a stone, and they've typically had a good hand with a trailer song - the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road remix worked excellently for me.

But I don't know, while I doubt it is as bad as the early reviews are saying, there certainly feels like there's a gradual critical dissent for MCU films. (As cliche as it is to say, my issues nearly always stem from the quality/filter/palate of their VFX productions, which is not a reflection on the teams who get overworked and crunched to produce them on a tight schedule.)

Different kind of films, naturally, but guess both Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar: The Way of Water showed what you can do with plenty of time in the bank to finetune those technical elements. But think the only MCU film after Avengers: Endgame that's come close to the first three waves of works is Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

8 hours ago, clarkete said:

Very sad news about Bruce Willis, as most of us of whatever age spent plenty of time with his films or TV shows. 

Hats off to them for publicising the cause 

BBC News - Bruce Willis has dementia, his family announces
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64670521

Aye, that's awful news.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...