Films

Rufus Gwertigan

On 1/25/2024 at 9:00 AM, philipsteak said:

Although with the weather in Cumbria recently it did feel a little close to home at times

I guess that's why I'm unsure about seeing it. With the news getting increasingly apocalyptic, I'm not sure watching an end of the world movie is a great escape anymore.

41 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I guess that's why I'm unsure about seeing it. With the news getting increasingly apocalyptic, I'm not sure watching an end of the world movie is a great escape anymore.

I mean you can say this about everything she's in but worth it for Jodie Comer's performance alone

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Has anyone seen Madame Web yet?

Sounds spectacularly bad

Went on Saturday with my lad.  It was ok - plenty of flaws but filled in the time well enough.  Does make you wonder if the Spiderverse type movies will continue beyond Venom.  Kraven due out later in the year I think, but not sure I can be bothered with it.

The MCU side is feeling very lacking too - Marvels was average, Antman 3 the same, GOTG was decent.  TV wise enjoyed Loki, but Secret Invasion was bad and Echo feels unneeded.

3 hours ago, gary1979666 said:

Went on Saturday with my lad.  It was ok - plenty of flaws but filled in the time well enough.  Does make you wonder if the Spiderverse type movies will continue beyond Venom.  Kraven due out later in the year I think, but not sure I can be bothered with it.

The MCU side is feeling very lacking too - Marvels was average, Antman 3 the same, GOTG was decent.  TV wise enjoyed Loki, but Secret Invasion was bad and Echo feels unneeded.

I enjoyed Marvels more that I expected based on the reviews, but I had found the Ms Marvel shows good fun, GOTG was better than many of their other recent efforts.  I ran out of steam with Loki, but liked Echo - great that it was short, had good characters and a decent tale. 

17 hours ago, clarkete said:

I enjoyed Marvels more that I expected based on the reviews, but I had found the Ms Marvel shows good fun, GOTG was better than many of their other recent efforts.  I ran out of steam with Loki, but liked Echo - great that it was short, had good characters and a decent tale. 

I tend to agree - don't think any of them are bad - they're just not as good as they were.  Though not sure if that's just because there were so many of them. I quite enjoyed Eternals and Thor 4, but both were panned.  Saying that, you know when a good one comes along - No Way Home was amazing.

Even the Flash was a good superhero romp.

17 hours ago, clarkete said:

Same.

I mean it still wasn't that good, just wasn't as bad as expected. Glad I waited and watched it on Disney+ rather than at the cinema though.

i watched, or rather endured, Asteroid City over the weekend.

i hated it.

it was basically 1.45 hours of Wes Anderson w*nking.

you could actually hear him through the screen saying "ha, i'm Wes Anderson and you will consume any f**king shite i shovel your way..."

the last time i hated a movie this much was Birdman...

On 2/10/2024 at 1:28 AM, clarkete said:

Sadly reviews thus far are mostly pretty disappointing, which is a big shame. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bob_marley_one_love/reviews?type=top_critics

i actually find it kind of offensive to glue fake dreads to ones head and pretend to be rasta.

i have no intention of sending any money in the direction of this movie.

(speaking personally as a dreadlocks myself).

4 hours ago, -TLR- said:

i actually find it kind of offensive to glue fake dreads to ones head and pretend to be rasta.

i have no intention of sending any money in the direction of this movie.

(speaking personally as a dreadlocks myself).

Oh I didn't know they'd done that 😔

4 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Huh I liked Birdman. But I can see how it be a bit cloying and full of showbiz navel-gazing. Any particular cause for the dislike?

same reason as Asteroid City really - smugness to a truly unbearable level.

• 2 weeks later...

Must say, broadly happy with the choices we'll likely see at the Oscars. Hope Murphy edges it for Actor, but can understand why they would go for Giamatti too - not sure how many chances either will, frankly, get again down the line to be up for the big one.

Dune Part Two was outstanding in the moment, but the more I sit on it, the more I think it is likely inferior to the first entry. There's something less readily tactile this time around, and a few of the character arcs don't fully satisfy beyond two-dimensional processes - which isn't strictly an issue, were it not for the fact they appeared to be set for more complicated pathways at the end of the last one.

• 2 weeks later...

Seen a few that are darker and in some cases far longer than I've seen for a while:-

Oppenheimer, Killers of the Flower Moon, Poor Things and Midsommar. 

They certainly all made a distinct impression in different ways. 

On 3/7/2024 at 6:54 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Dune Part Two was outstanding in the moment, but the more I sit on it, the more I think it is likely inferior to the first entry. There's something less readily tactile this time around, and a few of the character arcs don't fully satisfy beyond two-dimensional processes - which isn't strictly an issue, were it not for the fact they appeared to be set for more complicated pathways at the end of the last one.

I saw both Dune 1 and 2 this week and I wasn't 100% sure if I got it. It was visually impressive and there were some neat performances, but I do ponder if I wanted something more within a near 5 hour run time for the pair of them.