Films

Rufus Gwertigan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 7:45 PM, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I am more than a little obsessed with Studio Ghibli.

I waited so long for this to come back to the Barbican, not least that as soon as I heard of it the original run was entirely sold out, really looking forward to finally seeing it... 

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2022/oct/19/my-neighbour-totoro-review-barbican-london

Last week I'd seen a review claiming that the Hunger Games prequel movie The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes was the best Hunger Games movie released so far.

Having seen it, I don't see what that reviewer saw in it. It was fine, and the central two performances were good, but it lacked something that made me just go "Wow"

On 12/9/2023 at 8:27 PM, charlierc said:

Seeing as I can't find a video games thread, it is something to note how filmic video games like this have become.

Whether it'll be worthy of the 12 years in waiting, only time will tell I guess.

Seems to have been deleted but I I cant remembner why? I've given the thread before that a bump.

I did enjoy Wonka the other day. It's pretty much what you'd expect from a Wonka origin story from the makers of the Paddington films (as long as you're expecting a musical, of course) and that's absolutely fine by me. Things are a bit rubbish in my world at the moment and for 2 hours this hit the spot perfectly. 

Timothy Chalamet is great as Wonka, but it was also lovely seeing the random Brits who popped up in it. On a side note Chalamet feels like one of those actors who should annoy the f**k out of me but he just doesn't. I always like him when ever I see him in stuff

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

The wife and kids are watching it soon as well.  I am being grumpy and won't go lol.

With such a hatred for all things Hugh Grant - I can't bring myself to watch it.  I really don't like they cast him in a role that would of been bettered served by an actor with restricted growth.  Clearly these actors and actresses already have limited options when finding work (wrongly).

I've never been a big Hugh Grant fan (all the crappy romcoms, etc), but the last couple of things I've seen him in, he's done a decent job and poked a bit of fun at himself.  He stole the show for me in Paddington 2.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I am dogmatically apposed to his existence. I don't think anything could win me around.

There is something wrong with him. Has Liz Hurley at home but needs a blow job from a hooker in the front set of his car. I don't understand.

Edit: that should be sex worker not hooker 

Edited by Rufus Gwertigan

3 hours ago, gary1979666 said:

I've never been a big Hugh Grant fan (all the crappy romcoms, etc), but the last couple of things I've seen him in, he's done a decent job and poked a bit of fun at himself.  He stole the show for me in Paddington 2.

I kinda get the impression that Hugh Grant wasn't the biggest Hugh Grant fan. He certainly made a lot of shite. But like you, and I'd imagine most people, I have liked his, I suppose, reinvention. And that very much includes Paddington 2. I've seen some people describe his role in Wonka as like that, and it sort of is, but doesn't steal the show in quite the same way. 

There is one element of the film that seems very out of place in a film like this, especially in 2023, involving the chief of police. Seemed unnecessary to the story too. 

15 hours ago, charlierc said:

Given how het-up the political atmosphere is being in America of late, I dread to think what the discourse will be like discussing this one when its released in April.

Yeah, don't see it helping. Does look good though. A24 making it is usually a good sign.

I listened to a really good podcast series a couple of years ago about how a civil war could kick off in America. Was really interesting. Unfortunately I can't remember it's name and Googling things like 'new american civil war podcast' just gets you new podcasts about the civil war.

Edit

Found it. "It could happen here". Although it seems to have carried on and morphed into something else now. I only listened to Season 1.

Edited by philipsteak

On 12/13/2023 at 5:38 PM, philipsteak said:

I kinda get the impression that Hugh Grant wasn't the biggest Hugh Grant fan. He certainly made a lot of shite. But like you, and I'd imagine most people, I have liked his, I suppose, reinvention. And that very much includes Paddington 2. I've seen some people describe his role in Wonka as like that, and it sort of is, but doesn't steal the show in quite the same way. 

There is one element of the film that seems very out of place in a film like this, especially in 2023, involving the chief of police. Seemed unnecessary to the story too. 

That part he played after Paddington 2, in a Very English Scandal was incredible and he was fabulous in Operation Fortune. 

Regarding his scandal it's amazing looking back on it, that he'd essentially had to go straight on the telly and do a mea culpa as they had a film to promote and it was too late to pull it.   He's taken a pretty bold stance since then with the hacked off stuff - didn't need to step up to the plate and engage with it, but has for many years. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/hugh-grant-arrest-divine-brown-sex-worker-nine-months-elizabeth-hurley-a9584341.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/hugh-grant-phone-hacking-leveson-hacked-off-b2328037.html

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 6:36 PM, steviewevie said:

Watched Rebel Moon last night. It was sh*t. Can't wait for part 2.

17 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Star Wars rip off

Zack Snyder himself said it was meant to be a Star Wars movie but became it's own solo project after they couldn't make it work with Disney. So there's that as to why it might well be a Star Wars rip-off.

• 3 weeks later...

The end we start from. 

A good film elevated to something more by an incredible cast, particularly Jodie Comer. She really is superb.

It's about a woman who gives birth just as flood waters overwhelm London. An interesting, fairly low key take on the disaster film.

Although with the weather in Cumbria recently it did feel a little close to home at times

16 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

All of Us Strangers is beautiful and sad.

It looks superb.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I'm going to get chance to see it before it leaves my local cinema. Same with The Holdovers and One Life. So many good films out at the moment.

Will try to make time for one of them next week.

5 hours ago, philipsteak said:

It looks superb.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I'm going to get chance to see it before it leaves my local cinema. Same with The Holdovers and One Life. So many good films out at the moment.

Will try to make time for one of them next week.

I loved that one, really enjoyed Wonka too.