• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gucci Piggy

• the wonderwhy

• dentalplan

• Com Truise

Of the many things that baffle me about your logic, gazza, the top is your obsession with Calvin Harris suddenly being a likely Reading and Leeds subheadliner.

Pretty much stuck on a sub there and not a lot was coming to mind so I following the whole dance kinda theme from C&S. there is no doubting he would be a sub header, R&L don't have an indoor place big enough for him, he's massive.

Paramore would be the worst possible headliner for next year.

Calvin Harris would be the worst possible sub for next year (although he won't play).

You Me At Six would be the worst possible 3rd placed act for next year.

Bastille would be the worst possible 4th placed act for net year.

That Friday should be banished from existence.

I agree it'd not be good. but tell me next year at reading time apart from calvin, who is going to be a bigger 3rd and 4th for this festival than yma6 and bastille?

It's no Bullet, Kaisers, Black Keys, Foos or Frank Turner, Deftones, System, Green Day is it?

No, but then those days aren't great either

pretty much agreed.

Paramore, Calvin Harris, You me at six and Bastille would go down in history as the worst top 4 that reading and Leeds has ever seen.

if you can find a top 4 for a day while keeping the other two days strong that is as strong as that based on R&L nowadays go for it?

again with the exception of paramore but i really don't know a sub that would still be around to go in under there, unless noel did play fests next year and played under Blur with Jack moving to the paramore sub spot, that could work but is he going to sub to them? i think there is way more chance of jack subbing the arctics with qotsa subbing to paramore. actually that might work.

if you can find a top 4 for a day while keeping the other two days strong that is as strong as that based on R&L nowadays go for it?

again with the exception of paramore but i really don't know a sub that would still be around to go in under there, unless noel did play fests next year and played under Blur with Jack moving to the paramore sub spot, that could work but is he going to sub to them? i think there is way more chance of jack subbing the arctics with qotsa subbing to paramore. actually that might work.

I don't need to find a top 4, that's FR job, not mine and not yours. My comment was merely my opinion that them 4 acts would go down in history as the worst top 4 R+L has ever seen. that's my opinion though, Influenced by the fact that a don't like any of the said 4.

the fest is a year away yet, alot can happen in a year, we don't know bands plans, who is planning on releasing albums etc.

Pretty much stuck on a sub there and not a lot was coming to mind so I following the whole dance kinda theme from C&S. there is no doubting he would be a sub header, R&L don't have an indoor place big enough for him, he's massive.

There is doubting he'd be a subheadliner because he'd be a nothing. Were you suggesting Rihanna to sub in 2010 after The Prodigy subbed in 2009? Because that genuinely makes as much sense as thinking Calvin Harris will sub next year after Chase and Status did this year.

I think if that mooted top 4 came to pass I'd work the festival again, and do a shift that night barring an amazing headliner for another stage. Paramore I actually wouldn't mind as much as the others (although they have been poor the last two times subbing, still quite like them though), but I wouldn't like the idea of my money going to the other three :P.

The flipside: I wasn't there, unfortunately, but the '09 top 4 of Vampire Weekend // Yeah Yeah Yeahs // Bloc Party // Radiohead (and Brand New before that, to extend to a top 5) is beautiful. Of those I've been to, agree about Friday 2013 being very solid. Jimmy Eat World // The National // Pulp // The Strokes in '11 had a lot of potential let down by The National's depressingly tiny crowd and the Strokes playing the worst set I've ever seen of any band.

Feeder, The Streets, Arctic Monkeys, Muse in 2006 or The Cribs, Dizzee, The Libertines, Arcade Fire in 2010

Well the second one wins just because it has Arcade Fire at the top. It could've been The Hoosiers // N Dubz // Chris Brown // Arcade Fire and it'd be better than most lineups.

EDIT: I've just looked at that again and I might take it back. Putting Chris Brown on there crossed a line.

Edited by theevilfridge

There is doubting he'd be a subheadliner because he'd be a nothing. Were you suggesting Rihanna to sub in 2010 after The Prodigy subbed in 2009? Because that genuinely makes as much sense as thinking Calvin Harris will sub next year after Chase and Status did this year.

I think if that mooted top 4 came to pass I'd work the festival again, and do a shift that night barring an amazing headliner for another stage. Paramore I actually wouldn't mind as much as the others (although they have been poor the last two times subbing, still quite like them though), but I wouldn't like the idea of my money going to the other three :P.

The flipside: I wasn't there, unfortunately, but the '09 top 4 of Vampire Weekend // Yeah Yeah Yeahs // Bloc Party // Radiohead (and Brand New before that, to extend to a top 5) is beautiful. Of those I've been to, agree about Friday 2013 being very solid. Jimmy Eat World // The National // Pulp // The Strokes in '11 had a lot of potential let down by The National's depressingly tiny crowd and the Strokes playing the worst set I've ever seen of any band.

I kinda took the Calvin thing from I thin it was lucky who suggested than he thought R&L would be all over Calvin next year. If you think he's a nothing then you're wrong. I don't really like him but he's a huge crowd puller, maybe too much of the dance side for R&L but the fest has had Nero play and that stretches no further than a female singer for a few songs so it might not be that hard to imagine.

I was htere in 2009 and yes that top 4 was ace, I also chose to go and see AFI in the NME tent as well after Bloc Party before Radiohead. What let that year down was Arctics and KOL being shit, The Prodigy sound being awful too.

2011 bar the odd few sets I thought was a fair let down. Muse and Pulp was it okay

Feeder, The Streets, Arctic Monkeys, Muse in 2006 or The Cribs, Dizzee, The Libertines, Arcade Fire in 2010

Good choices, not my preferred ones but I'd understand why you'd choose them!

Arctic's were really bad that day though and they were on the first album. So I saw them subbing as a bit of a cop out

Blink-182, Paramore, Weezer, Cypress Hill, Limp Bizkit was an amazing top 5 for me personally in 2010 :P although I missed Cypress Hill for some stupid reason -_- Metallica, Tenacious D, Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold looked great on paper in 2008 before all of the pull-outs.

Agreed on 2008 and weezer makes 2010 ;)

Weezer to headline NME opposite arctic monkeys so I'd have something to watch. Saw them in America a couple of years ago 2 night's in a row. The first night the played blue in full then a greatest hits set. The next night they played pinkerton in full (favorite album of all time) followed by a different greatest hits set. Absolutely the best gigs I've ever been to. And 2010 was the best performance at a fest I've seen. So yeah I'm a bit of a fan boy.If they were playing main it'd probably be third again but they should at least sub with how well they went down playing 3rd last time. Has to be a NME headline slot for me :)

Weezer to headline NME opposite arctic monkeys so I'd have something to watch. Saw them in America a couple of years ago 2 night's in a row. The first night the played blue in full then a greatest hits set. The next night they played pinkerton in full (favorite album of all time) followed by a different greatest hits set. Absolutely the best gigs I've ever been to. And 2010 was the best performance at a fest I've seen. So yeah I'm a bit of a fan boy.If they were playing main it'd probably be third again but they should at least sub with how well they went down playing 3rd last time. Has to be a NME headline slot for me :)

I'd really like that actually, get away from the big knob-ish arctics crowd and see a dedicated set of fans watching Weezer, would be perfect really! Never seen them at their own gig, I would love to though. Saw them at T and Reading and thought they were both fantastic, reading got me into them :)