Lineup 2014

Hawky

Well that's ok then. Next time I can't be arsed turning up for work I'll just blame it on illness. Or the next time I feel like spraying an innocent with possible infectious blood I'll just put it down to my get out of jail free "illness". It's bollox. Ilnesses can be cured. He doesn't want to be. Oh pour a few crocodile tears on and talk to a sympathetic reporter for a nice fat cheque to spend on more heroin, thanks very much, don't mind if I do.

The others mentioned above at least had talent and then either got clean or got dead.

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gucci Piggy

• the wonderwhy

• dentalplan

• Com Truise

Pete Doherty is a junkie oxygen thief and anything he has been involved in could never have been described as exciting. Also, during Oct, Nov and Dec I'm spending close on a grand going to gigs so I'm not sure the live scene is dead either. Maybe it's just shite junkie fuck bands aren't popular anymore?

By live scene I meant gigs in my area; I've been to nearly 100 shows in the past three years and only two of them have been less than an hour journey on the train away (and both of the venues I went to have now been shut down.) However from what I've read it appears that live pubs and clubs are closing down in every town. Of course arena and large academy tours will always survive but people's interest in going and checking out new music has waned a lot it seems.

As much as some people don't agree, you can never accuse Devilman of mincing his words :P I largely agree with quite a lot he has said here today though. Doherty doesn't want to get better.

As a sidenote, did anyone here see The Libs in 2010? I wish I could have been there, the YouTube footage looks brilliant.

By live scene I meant gigs in my area; I've been to nearly 100 shows in the past three years and only two of them have been less than an hour journey on the train away (and both of the venues I went to have now been shut down.) However from what I've read it appears that live pubs and clubs are closing down in every town. Of course arena and large academy tours will always survive but people's interest in going and checking out new music has waned a lot it seems.

Yeah I suppose there is a lot of truth in that. Our venues shut down a long time ago, probably before you were around. There does seem to be a bit of an upsurge just now though in the smaller venues but worryingly most of the audiences are old knackers like me.

As much as some people don't agree, you can never accuse Devilman of mincing his words :P I largely agree with quite a lot he has said here today though. Doherty doesn't want to get better.

As a sidenote, did anyone here see The Libs in 2010? I wish I could have been there, the YouTube footage looks brilliant.

Yeah I saw them in 2010, really enjoyed them and I'd definitely see them again if they did ever play. And on the whole 'heroin addiction is an illness' thing, you try telling that to a cancer victim, or anyone that's been through a life threatening illness. Yes addiction is a horrible thing, and yes it can be a really hard thing to beat, but nobody forced him to put that first needle in his arm, he made a conscious choice to do so even though he must have known the dangers.

Yeah I saw them in 2010, really enjoyed them and I'd definitely see them again if they did ever play. And on the whole 'heroin addiction is an illness' thing, you try telling that to a cancer victim, or anyone that's been through a life threatening illness. Yes addiction is a horrible thing, and yes it can be a really hard thing to beat, but nobody forced him to put that first needle in his arm, he made a conscious choice to do so even though he must have known the dangers.

100% agree with this statement.

I doubt any addict fully understands the dangers otherwise they wouldn't do it. And yes you're right, nobody forced him physically but peer pressure weighs in heavy on that one, it always does doesn't it?

Edit: also I doubt it was a fully conscious choice,

Edited by dentalplan

The coolest frontmen are ones with a clean lifestyle.

Springsteen, Morrissey, Henry Rollins, Chuck D, James Dean Bradfield.

They let their music do the talking.

Some great musicians have been smackheads though :ph34r: It's cocaine that makes bands turn shit. Oasis, The Clash and The Stone Roses all being case in point.

I doubt any addict fully understands the dangers otherwise they wouldn't do it. And yes you're right, nobody forced him physically but peer pressure weighs in heavy on that one, it always does doesn't it?

Edit: also I doubt it was a fully conscious choice,

I'm pretty sure the dangers of heroin are quite well documented, and if you're with the type of people who are going to pressure you into trying something like that then you either need to be strong enough to say no, or be smart enough to walk away. I'm not saying that these people don't need help, but they also need to help themselves. Nirvana are probably my all time favourite band, but I'd never defend Kurt for his decision to turn to heroin.

:lol:

All of them are cool as fuck. They go against this notion that you have to lead a decadent lifestyle to be considered an iconic frontman.

I'm not anti-drugs myself, I don't take them because it's not my thing, but it's now a bit of a boring, tired cliche that the best singers are the ones who turn up to gigs absolutely shitfaced.

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks they can just inject heroin the once and not become an addict must be ill to begin with.

It's happened before though. I'm sure I read once that Julian Casablancas tried it a few times and he never became addicted.

He has had his problems with alcohol though, but, yeah... :ph34r:

I'd never touch the stuff by the way. Mainly because I hate needles. :lol:

I'm pretty sure the dangers of heroin are quite well documented, and if you're with the type of people who are going to pressure you into trying something like that then you either need to be strong enough to say no, or be smart enough to walk away. I'm not saying that these people don't need help, but they also need to help themselves. Nirvana are probably my all time favourite band, but I'd never defend Kurt for his decision to turn to heroin.

Not everyone is strong enough or smart enough though, and I believe that most people are in a vulnerable state when they decide 'oh I'll do heroin!' And how can an addict help themselves when the problem is, literally, 'they can't stop themselves doing something'?

Not everyone is strong enough or smart enough though, and I believe that most people are in a vulnerable state when they decide 'oh I'll do heroin!' And how can an addict help themselves when the problem is, literally, 'they can't stop themselves doing something'?

They can help themselves by facing it head on and seeking help. There are plenty of people that have gotten themselves clean over the years, but it all comes down to actually wanting to do it and facing those dark times. I know it's not always totally black and white, but to imply that it's just an illness, and that these people aren't at all accountable, is wrong in my eyes.

Wasn't Julian Casablancas an alcoholic at 14? I swear I read he got sent to a boarding school in Switzerland to cure it, met Albert there, and formed one of the biggest bands in the world. I'm sure that was a great way of curing alcoholism.

I may have dreamt that or something. Seems a bit weird reading it back.

And he's clean now, isn't he?

ps. I love Julian Casablancas.

All of them are cool as fuck. They go against this notion that you have to lead a decadent lifestyle to be considered an iconic frontman.

I'm not anti-drugs myself, I don't take them because it's not my thing, but it's now a bit of a boring, tired cliche that the best singers are the ones who turn up to gigs absolutely shitfaced.

They're not cool at all and their music doesn't do the talking.

I actually agree with that second line, I don't think many great frontpeople can turn up off their head and still put on a show, it's that specific selection I'm laughing it.