Glastonbury food with pictures

mike99

• 2 weeks later...

Few things I noticed.

Some of the food was pricey - a la 2013. Or was it 2014? We saw a reduction the following year so fingers crossed. 

The jerk chicken stall in Williams Green is superb and have one of the hottest BBQ sauces I've ever tasted. Really fucking hot.

The coffee place in Williams Green has the best coffee in the festivals history. As good as you'll get anywhere. 10/10. 

The Hippy Chippy has gone to the dogs. Served in cones instead of trays. Overcooked, seasoned with cheapo woody dried herbs and really greasy. Sort it out lads. Dogshit.

Finally had the kedgeree from the Goan place and it was fucking beautiful. No queue as people seemingly couldn't be arsed trekking over there in the mud first thing. 

Was so busy this year I ate fuck all and I don't do queues either, twice for coffee aside.

The wood fired pizza near the Glade was superb, but extortionate. £10 for pepperoni and mushroom. Still paid it though and to be fair, it was quality.

Finally had a lobster burger from the lobster shack. Too expensive, but as a 1 off I paid it. Good, but not worth the money. 

Square Pie is still the best value thing on the site. I have one every year, but it's a good full meal.

Piggie Smalls - Great Hot Dog, shit bread this year (only went once though)

35 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The coffee place in Williams Green has the best coffee in the festivals history. As good as you'll get anywhere. 10/10. 

The one with 'Proper Coffee' as its sign? Absolutely bloody brilliant. We went there every day from Tuesday to Monday and it was always spot-on. Lovely people too. Seriously hope they're back next year. 

My biggest disappointment this year was how little I ate. The mud really did put me off trekking to our favourite food places or wandering off to get a cheeky snack or treat. Instead we found ourselves buying our meals conveniently and without much thought. It was more eat when you need to rather than because you'd like to which was a huge shame for me.

On the plus side the crab shack was a new find (next to the cornish arms) and did a lovely crab meat roll.

Lots of people complaining about prices, but we found some great bargains. 

Buddhafield still charges £5 for its burgers - all vegan, in a fluffy bun, served with lots of fresh salad and garlic mushrooms. Their main meals are £8 and very generous (or you can do some washing up and prep in return for a meal, if you're skint - they were looking for helpers all weekend). Served on proper plates with proper cutlery too.

Manic Organic hadn't put up its prices - the Breakfast Special was still £7.50 and filling enough to last you till dinnertime.

The sheep's milk ice cream place opposite Manic Organic was bloody brilliant. 

As was Proper Coffee at William's Green. Not just the best coffee on site but some of the best coffee I've ever had.

Greenpeace's cafe did tapas for £2.50 per item or three for £7 - and three was plenty for a meal.

Bath Organic Farms - bacon or sausage bap was £4 - properly good quality meat, well worth the money

Fluffy Rock Cafe - two BIG bits of eggy bread for £2 or an egg bap for £2

Rotisserie Chicken from William's Green - £8 for a half with spuds or £14 for a whole one with spuds. A whole one was too much for the two of us.

Paella (also at William's Green) - £4 for a 'small' or £7 for 'absolutely fucking massive' - fresh, tasty, very filling

Pizzas from the yurt near the Tiny Tea Tent are still £6 or £7 and are still quick, hot, and very tasty

The fish and chip van at the top of the Theatre field is FANTASTIC. Proper northern chippy, £8 for a BIG portion.

I'm sure Square Pie's portions have got bigger, too? I had more mash than I knew what to do with! 

G&T in the Spike Bar was £5, and let's just say it was *quite* a large double :D

So overall I had a great foodie festival and didn't really feel ripped off by anything I ate. 

19 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

The one with 'Proper Coffee' as its sign? Absolutely bloody brilliant. We went there every day from Tuesday to Monday and it was always spot-on. Lovely people too. Seriously hope they're back next year. 

Think so yeah. Shop beside it, loads of mud outside, payed first and then collected. Great stuff.

thought the prices were a little out of hand also the cosy camper in silver hayes were sky high 25 for wellington boots and 8 pounds for socks found exactly the same for 15 and 4 price of being nearest the camp field I guess but it was the first time I ever said no thanks at glasto.

Edited by Respectfatfrog
typo

My highlights 

Chips from the lighthouse in the Theatre feild were incredible, absolutly perfect proper chippy chips with plenty of cheese 

Bubble and squeak stall in the park, easily wins the best breakfast award for me, decent price and good size portion sorted me right out

Dosa Dosa on Williams Green - oh my god, complete perfection, I can't say enough good things about this, i had a chilli cheese Dosa meal and it was my festival highlight, I could have eaten there every single day 

5 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

thought the prices were a little out of hand also the cosy camper in silver hayes were sky high 25 for willies and 8 pounds for socks found exactly the same for 15 and 4 price of being nearest the camp field I guess but it was the first time I ever said no thanks at glasto.

If you can find willies for less than £25 you should grab a pair :D

I tried lots of stuff this year and didn't find it anymore expensive I don't think. We usually just buy the one meal a day usually on an evening but this year we bought a bit more during the day particularly at some of the "food for a fiver" stalls. So this year I had;

Wed - Bacon Burger from Holy Cow in the Park - Amazing! £8

Thur - Lamb Tagine - Opposite Leftfield stage - Go there every year. Great food. £8

Fri - Lamb Curry - Somewhere near Bandstand I think - £8

Sat - Cheeseburger from rugby club in Williams Green £5 , Bombay Potatoes from a place in WG also - £5. Portion for the potatoes was huge and came with naan and salad.

Sun- Duck wrap from a place near Pyramid - £5, Small portion of Nachos ( which was big!) near Stonebridge in Park - £5.50 

10 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Was unfaithful to crayfish bob and got a fish Laksa from another seafood place in williams green and it was fucking gorgeous. Got gumbo from bob the day after to apologise!

Never heard of laksa before but it was gorgeous!

What did you think of Bob's gumbo? My husband had been looking forward to it since he last had it in 2013 and it was completely different.

Last time it was a reddish soup/stew version whereas this time around it was a very thick grey stodge. Not as good, he said, and didn't go back this time, which was a shame.

Everything I had was lush. I had Annie macs twice. A burrito from Carlito? A hot dog of some kind from piggy smalls. A square pie.

i went to go for a curry and no bones jones but they weren't serving lunch yet... It was 1pm

I had a crepe from La Grande Bouffe at West Holts and was saying for days after that it was the best crepe I've ever had. The ingredients were top quality including the cheese which had a really nice creaminess to it. I suppose it helps that the staff were actually French and knew what they were doing as opposed to some of the other crepe stalls.

42 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

What did you think of Bob's gumbo? My husband had been looking forward to it since he last had it in 2013 and it was completely different.

Last time it was a reddish soup/stew version whereas this time around it was a very thick grey stodge. Not as good, he said, and didn't go back this time, which was a shame.

Yeah from cooking a lot of gumbo over winter, Bobs didn't look that great this year so gave it a skip.

29 minutes ago, hurdy said:

Beef brisket burger from Smokestack was possibly the most amazing thing I've ever shoved in my craw. Melted like butter. 

Fuckers ran out early again. Had one last year. Really good. Actually quite a difficult thing to smoke properly. Can turn to beef jerky very quickly.

Edited by The Nal

I echo the above in that SmokeStack was absolutely fantastic. Couldn't fault the beef brisket or the bun it came in.
I was however very disappointed with the Piggie Smalls hotdog I had, it was very average. The same goes for Le Grand Bouffe. After failing to have one my first 3 years I made a beeline for it on Wednesday when I arrived. It was the most bland & dull dauphinoise potatoes I have ever had. I was gutted after reading so many good reviews on here. 

8 minutes ago, Jamie D said:

I had a crepe from La Grande Bouffe at West Holts and was saying for days after that it was the best crepe I've ever had. The ingredients were top quality including the cheese which had a really nice creaminess to it. I suppose it helps that the staff were actually French and knew what they were doing as opposed to some of the other crepe stalls.

We always go for a Tartiflette from La Grande Bouffe - never fails.  And we had two trips to the Square Pie Company.  There's something comforting about mash and mushy peas.  But my top marks again go to No Bones Jones.