Fantasy Who Would Have Headlined In 2018 Thread

MrZigster

I can remember being annoyed in 2012 that there was no Glastonbury. And then hearing that Scissor Sisters had a new album out and were touring and feeling relieved that we wouldn't have to suffer them.

For 2018 however!

What The Serious Fuck?

Roger Waters. Pearl Jam. Depeche Mode. The Cure. Taylor Swift.

All doing shows around that time. They're just the ones that have caught my attention.

What could've been?

Thoughts please.

I've been pondering this for a few weeks, not just the headliners but the rest of the bill too. Saw Billy Idol is playing the UK in June, he'd have been a fun afternoon Pyramid set. 

From that list in the original post though, I think they could all feasibly still be touring in 2019 apart from maybe Depeche Mode.

Feel like we might have ended up with The Killers due to a lack of obvious options. Would probably have guessed Depeche Mode, The Killers and Sam Smith which isn't a vintage year but not unlike the last couple of years headliners. 

2018 would have been all about the undercard though, good chance we'd have got some, if not most of Jack White, Bjork, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, The War on Drugs, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Nine Inch Nails, Massive Attack, David Byrne, Chvrches etc

55 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Feel like we might have ended up with The Killers due to a lack of obvious options. Would probably have guessed Depeche Mode, The Killers and Sam Smith which isn't a vintage year but not unlike the last couple of years headliners. 

2018 would have been all about the undercard though, good chance we'd have got some, if not most of Jack White, Bjork, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, The War on Drugs, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Nine Inch Nails, Massive Attack, David Byrne, Chvrches etc

Also reckon The National would have been saved until 2019. Could have been a ridiculous undercard.

I reckon Arctic Monkeys, Depeche Mode and Taylor Swift

also think we could of got sam smith if taylor didn’t wanna do it

tbh bar depeche mode, who we probably are just gonna get in 2019 as I reckon Arctic Monkeys and Sam smith are surely in the frame for 2019

Edited by Matt42

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I reckon Arctic Monkeys, Depeche Mode and Taylor Swift

also think we could of got sam smith if taylor didn’t wanna do it

tbh bar depeche mode, who we probably are just gonna get in 2019 as I reckon Arctic Monkeys and Sam smith are surely in the frame for 2019

Yeah, it seems like Sam Smith is touring Stateside for most of the summer incl. late June so I think he's planning a romp around the European festivals the year after anyway. Doing it in 2018 woulda worked better tho - I'm not sure he'll stir up any more excitement in eighteen months' time.

I don't think Depeche Mode nor Taylor Swift particularly want to headline Glastonbury anyway because of the fee. (edit: that's an assumption on Taylor Swift, just to be clear)

Edited by dentalplan

I reckon Sam Smith touring stateside during Glastonbury time is more because Glastonbury isn’t on rather than him being unavailable. If the fest was on I highly doubt he’d double book himself.  Probably would have a brief gap to come back for it anyway.

I think that’s a fact for many artists as quite a lot of them plan their tour dates around glastonbury in hope they’d get asked to play.

@dentalplan fair point about the mode, maybe U2 in their place?

I also am in the boat that if Taylor Swift was lined up to do Glasto she’d probably do it now. Too many people in her very close circles that would inform her that it’s a good idea. Plus Ed headlining in 2017 would definitely grab her attention.

Just thrown this together quickly, reckon it could've looked something along these lines:

Friday

Pyr: Taylor Swift // Chvrches // The Specials // David Byrne // ?? // Dave
Oth: Nine Inch Nails // Catfish & the Bottlemen // Wolf Alice // Cage the Elephant
WH: Santana
JP: The Vaccines

Saturday

Pyr: Arctic Monkeys // Queens of the Stone Age // Van Morrison // Dua Lipa // The War on Drugs // Declan McKenna
Oth: Bjork // N.E.R.D // Friendly Fires
WH: Schoolboy Q
JP: Yeah Yeah Yeahs // St. Vincent // The Horrors

Sunday

Pyr: U2 // Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds // ?? // Billy Idol // ?? // Alvvays
Oth: Bastille
WH: Orbital
JP: Jungle // ?? // Sampha
Par: King Krule

• Upvote 1