Battle of the Burn 1992, 1999 or 2010

funkyuk

Mmmmmmm Sunshine  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Your best sunshine year?

• Other

3 minutes ago, little_jim said:

2010 was just bliss, i'd have that every year, sitting on the hill with a cup of cider bus brew, singing along to Ray Davies was fun.

I think that was the afternoon where we had Norah Jones, Ray Davies, Slash and someone else all in a row on the pyramid. A load of us sat up the back of the hill, we had booze and food and plenty of water, and a blanket to lie on in between acts. It was bloody brilliant. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'99 was lovely for the first few days but it fucked it down Saturday afternoon/evening and was fairly rainy overnight, leading to a soggy start to Sunday.  Mentioning it in the same breath as the perfect weather of 2010 is almost heresy ;)  

I didn't attend in 1994 but friends who did came back with serious heatstroke and major sunburn, only to repeat the experience a couple of weeks later when we went to Phoenix and it was WAY hotter/more unrelenting than g2010.

I'd take 2010 again without question, I'd also take adequate precautions for the weather (which I did last time).

2 minutes ago, craigb said:

Surely 2013 gets an honorable mention. I know it rained on the Thursday? But the weekend was scorchio. 

Yep. Was dry again by 2am and that was that.

2010 was hot obviously and I was only really uncomfortable for a few hours one of the days (whenever The Stranglers and Willie Nelson were on, Friday?) due a fucking horrific hangover. 

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

When there are mass cases of heatstroke then I think it's fair to say it's a bit too hot.

When this came up a year or two back I had a quick scan of the weather data for that weekend to see if there was anything unusually hot about it and came up with squat.

What actually happened was a tonne of folk out of their trees not taking care of themselves.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

When this came up a year or two back I had a quick scan of the weather data for that weekend to see if there was anything unusually hot about it and came up with squat.

What actually happened was a tonne of folk out of their trees not taking care of themselves.

Yep, didn't actually get anywhere close to 30c. 26/27 was as high as it got I believe. But anyone sitting out in that all day with no water, sunscreen etc is going to feel it. 

The real issue is that staying up till 5 or 6am means a couple of hours sleep at best in a tent. 

I remember having a particularly hedonistic Thursday night in 2010 and got back to the tent about 6.30am, by 8.30 the tent was like an oven. Managed to watch Willie Nelson then spent the afternoon in the Acoustic Tent, managed to get a few hours kip in there as well. Took a bit of time to get used to the heat, but when did was one of my favourite years, being able to move around site easily and sit down anywhere and not worry about any mud was a treat

2010 was cold at night though wasn't it? The relief when the sun dipped down was palpable, I'm sure it wasn't just me :lol: I'm a really pasty bloke who has to slather on factor 30 twice a day in those conditions, so that's exactly what I did. I had a very nice kip in the shade by the boat near the greenpeace field, that was lovely but did mean I missed cassetteboy. Bad times. Being baked alive out of the tent at 8am every morning was fun too, and I had to avoid pints until 2-3pm which is frankly despicable behaviour at Glastonbury as far as I'm concerned. 

All things considered though, id take that weather again for this year, but I'd need to fashion some form of testicle cooling device. A kind of iced dip tank for the genitals. Lovely! 

2010 was amazing. Loved it. Although I had zero sympathy for people queuing for hours in the heat to get into various venues to watch the fucking football. WTAF?

Drinking plenty of water rather than alcohol steadily throughout the day also increased my general enjoyment. Fucking revelation, that was.