Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not to upset you too much but you'll be waiting even longer for the clashfinder.

It follows the same basic pattern every year:

Up to March - Headliners, legend and maybe one or two acts confirmed.

Around balance week (early April) - First poster

Mid-May - Bigger poster with stage splits

Late May/Early June - Individual smaller stage announcements

Mid-June - Full running order.

Yeah I know that the final one is only really available right up until the end, but I liked the fake one as it was good fun imagining where I could be and who I could be seeing - putting myself in the heart of the fest and thinking about all the possibilities etc. Seemed a bit petty I thought people got annoyed about it, but I guess that's another thread.

Really think the poster will drop around end of March - just before the balance payments, then those who don't think the music fits them can cancel their tickets (and let all my mates have a chance at buying them up :D)

Just now, mjsell said:

16 March was the date that Kanye was announced in 2015 - and to be fair (because you've got to be fair) by this date since 2008 we had at least 3 acts announced, so I can see why people might be getting antsy.

I mean, anybody who's been paying any attention at all knows it's Ed, so him being officially announced doesn't make that much difference, does it? :lol: Kanye came out of nowhere and it was exciting as fuck + all the 'controversy' that came with it - Ed's been known since the dawn of time and him being announced will just continue the 'he's shite' conversation.

The so-far lack of the Sunday Legend being announced is the biggest question mark for me and I hope it's because they're keeping it extra secret rather than it being underwhelming and not deserving of it's own announcement.

I have no problem with the three headliners, in fact Radiohead on the Pyramid stage will sort me out for the next 5 festivals, but it's a shame we haven't had anything really surprising over the past 2 years. As you said FF, the Kanye thing was mental, and then The Who coming out of nowhere. 

Hopefully for the next festival we get something a bit more unpredictable. I can obviously understand why they are trying to book the hot act each year, but it does take away a bit of the surprise. I guess there just aren't that many acts out there that would really shock you. 

2015 was a mix of them managing to somehow keep stuff extra secret + the whole Prince thing throwing everybody off and The Who not being booked until late on. Considering they've claimed to have last and this years headliners booked for a long time it's no surprise that they all managed to leak much earlier than usual. Like you say, even just one total surprise for 2019 would be nice, although I fear the two year gap will lead to it all coming out pretty early (they've already mentioned having one booked for bloody 2020, right?)

Yeah you can't really keep headliners a secret if they've been booked for that long. I think the headliners for 2019 will be obvious in the build up to that festival. 

I think that's where the 'Adele subbing Radiohead' nonesense is born from. I know a lot of people get annoyed about those kinda suggestions, but it's all part of the fun I think. 

3 minutes ago, merago said:

Maybe this year's surprise will come in the shape of the subs or the Other headliners.

I'm really holding out for something tremendous on the Other stage against Sheeran. I can't remember the last time they didn't have someone really awesome close the Other stage on the Sunday. They seem to throw us a bone in that slot.

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I mean, anybody who's been paying any attention at all knows it's Ed, so him being officially announced doesn't make that much difference, does it? :lol: Kanye came out of nowhere and it was exciting as fuck + all the 'controversy' that came with it - Ed's been known since the dawn of time and him being announced will just continue the 'he's shite' conversation.

The so-far lack of the Sunday Legend being announced is the biggest question mark for me and I hope it's because they're keeping it extra secret rather than it being underwhelming and not deserving of it's own announcement.

Yeah I have no problem with how they have announced so far, was just saying I can see why some are getting a bit desperate. But yeah like you said, Ed is basically announced already so we have the three headliners (which we havent had at this stage for a while).

I too am more worried about the legend announcement. I fear that if we dont get one before the first poster we may be in trouble with our predictions - unless there isnt a legend on the poster and it gets a special announcement after the resale (which doesnt make much sense unless they have their own dates to sell at some point)

14 minutes ago, merago said:

Maybe this year's surprise will come in the shape of the subs or the Other headliners.

I'm feeling this too

the catalog of artists touring does seem a bit small this year, so I'm fully expecting the lineup to look pretty varied.

however I'd much rather a glastonbury where acts clearly on the rise are given the shot opposed to recycling acts just because you can't think of where to put them!

7 minutes ago, mjsell said:

More worried about the legend announcement. I fear that if we dont get one before the first poster we may be in trouble with our predictions - unless there isnt a legend on the poster and it gets a special announcement after the resale (which doesnt make much sense unless they have their own dates to sell at some point)

Announcing the "legend" slot as a specific thing has only happened the past few years. It'd just be a sort of informal thing that the festival didn't even acknowledge prior to that.

41 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yeah you can't really keep headliners a secret if they've been booked for that long. I think the headliners for 2019 will be obvious in the build up to that festival. 

I think that's where the 'Adele subbing Radiohead' nonesense is born from. I know a lot of people get annoyed about those kinda suggestions, but it's all part of the fun I think. 

I'm really holding out for something tremendous on the Other stage against Sheeran. I can't remember the last time they didn't have someone really awesome close the Other stage on the Sunday. They seem to throw us a bone in that slot.

Massive Attack - Sunday, 2014. You could heard people coughing and sneezing it was so quiet. A really dull finish to a brilliant start from Metallica Friday

Edited by simian_mobile_mushrooms

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It's only over the last few years that poster has dropped before balance deadline. First  year I went 2007 line up was two months after ticket sale and in 2009 balance payment was first Feb and line up poster was end of may. Personally I wish it'd return to that. 

Agree with that. The festival is sold out. Supposedly most of the acts were signed up very early. Beyond a certain point this a bit annoying to keep us waiting and endlessly speculating. Like when a band keeps the audience waiting too long to come on stage and you start to  feel like....whose bloody well paying for this you bastards?!

16 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Sorry you said you agreed with me then posted the opposite to what I said?

Apologies. Yes, bleary eyes before bedtime. I misconstrued the balance deadline bit.

I understand the suspense element I guess, but it gets overcooked. I  reckon by about February every permutation and combination has been imagined. Some actual data would be welcomed.

Mind you delaying gratification has never been a strong point of mine.

Edited by BlackZeppelin

28 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It's only over the last few years that poster has dropped before balance deadline. First  year I went 2007 line up was two months after ticket sale and in 2009 balance payment was first Feb and line up poster was end of may. Personally I wish it'd return to that. 

I suppose it seems like in recent years there are festivals popping up everywhere, maybe the first line up poster coming earlier is a bit of way to assert some competition with that. And without descending into absolute madness of the ticket balance thread, I suppose as the ticket prices increase, it's good to give people a bit of a flavour of what they've paid so much money for.

I should add as a caveat though that I'd be buzzing if there were no announcements until I walked through the gate and opened the program.

1 minute ago, FrancisH said:

I should add as a caveat though that I'd be buzzing if there were no announcements until I walked through the gate and opened the program.

I love the idea of this, but as a guy who loves to plan everything to a tee and who usually has days jam packed with stuff to see, it would drive me insane trying to figure out who and what to see and I'd probably waste my Wednesday and Thursday doing so. Need that time between full lineup/day splits and the actual festival to cool off a bit about all the horrible clashes etc. Seeing them all at once whilst at the festival would break me.