Other Stage 2017

Gucci Piggy

18 minutes ago, across97 said:

So by a process of elimination...

I'd think BST would bill them as a UK Festival Exclusive if they were one, but maybe they don't bill acts in that way as its different to the normal weekender festival

BST have the other 5 acts all billed as UK or European festival exclusives. Which leads me to think Green Day must be playing elsewhere. Process of elimination leaves Glastonbury as the most likely option. 

Hell of a booking if so.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As unlikely as it may seem for a number of reasons (logistics, money, non-headline slot) maybe Greenday just want to tick Glastonbury off their bucket list. It is the most famous festival in the world after all.

They are past their peak and are extremely unlikely to ever headline the Pryamid, so why not take a Other Stage headliner slot whilst they're in Europe at the same time? It's not that unbelievable of a scenario imo. 

What else is interesting is Green Day were mentioned in NME's 2017 rumours, but not under the headliner section but on 'Best of the rest' section.

I know that you should never really believe anything NME writes, but, it's an interesting stance/opinion to have

http://www.nme.com/blogs/festivals-blog/glastonbury-festival-2017-headliners-1554775

5 minutes ago, across97 said:

What else is interesting is Green Day were mentioned in NME's 2017 rumours, but not under the headliner section but on 'Best of the rest' section.

I know that you should never really believe anything NME writes, but, it's an interesting stance/opinion to have

http://www.nme.com/blogs/festivals-blog/glastonbury-festival-2017-headliners-1554775

yep, but it's quite recent (written after Kris K confirmed himself) and there's enough wrong'uns (eg: Kasabian & Phil Collins) in there to know with certainty that it's poorly researched and based on nothing but (poor) guesswork.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

yep, but it's quite recent (written after Kris K confirmed himself) and there's enough wrong'uns (eg: Kasabian & Phil Collins) in there to know with certainty that it's poorly researched and based on nothing but (poor) guesswork.

I agree, NME just base most of their articles on what seems logical and what looks likely.

They did say in the article that Kasabian were announced for R+L so that's ruled out. I just found it interesting how 99% of people would put them in the potential headline slot but NME sided with something else.

Probably (definitely) nothing in it though :P 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Which is why Neil says they must be the Sunday (with Sheeran also being the Sunday contrary to what we've been thinking thus far)

To be honest time wise Foo's on Saturday works better, but still not sure I can see it happening. More so as Alt-J would probably have to be Friday Other given their Germany date commitments and that rules out The Prodigy that night which is all I could see them going opposite. Also people seem to think Alt-J looks too obvious not to be Sunday.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Metallica weren't Other headliners in the end, but only because the fest lost its hoped-for headliner (Prince, i think from memory), and tyhat gives a clear indication that something like Green Day isn't outside of what the festival might do.

In the case of Metallica, I'm pretty sure that the band approached the festival, and the festival fitted them in around what they already had planned. It might be the same here.

Prince – why did it never happen?

Michael: We got very close several times.

Emily: He was actually confirmed to do it two years before he died, but unfortunately he pulled out after it was leaked that he was playing. And then we were actually really close again last year. We were told that he really wanted to do it. It’s such a pity that he never did.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/20/michael-emily-eavis-the-variety-bazaar-glastonbury-festival

Was it eFests that leaked it? :blink:

5 minutes ago, craigb said:

Prince – why did it never happen?

Michael: We got very close several times.

Emily: He was actually confirmed to do it two years before he died, but unfortunately he pulled out after it was leaked that he was playing. And then we were actually really close again last year. We were told that he really wanted to do it. It’s such a pity that he never did.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/20/michael-emily-eavis-the-variety-bazaar-glastonbury-festival

Was it eFests that leaked it? :blink:

Yep - it's Neil's fault we never got Prince. Don't ever let him forget it :P (although that Prince vs. Metallica clash would've sucked)

13 minutes ago, theDandy said:

Are Foos 100% nailed on? Maybe Green Day will just headline the Pyramid instead of them on the Sonnetag? Or have I missed something? Haven't managed to read back all too much 

I've been told by a very decent source that one of the headliners is 100% as Ed. The same source says that his own very-well-placed source has been told the other one is Foos.

The Foos bit was presented to me as 'gossip', tho only really because my guy's source isn't directly involved with that (where he is with Ed). Because of his involvement with Ed, it seems very unlikely that word he's heard of others on the bill would be wrong. It was given as 'gossip' only because of that non-direct involvement.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep - it's Neil's fault we never got Prince. Don't ever let him forget it :P (although that Prince vs. Metallica clash would've sucked)

because of course Michael and Emily never hinted about Prince year after year after year to cause me to rumour him. :P

(I did start to take the piss in the end tho, and rumoured him only because it seemed to annoy him. Anyone that precious deserves a pisstake :P)

Everyone speculating about Green Day not being marketed as a UK exclusive meaning they MUST be somewhere else, could it not be the case that BST booked Green Day without and exclusive tag but they have ended up not being able to agree on an offer from another festival?

Edited by Gozpot

10 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Everyone speculating about Green Day not being marketed as a UK exclusive meaning they MUST be somewhere else, could it no be the case that BST booked Green Day without and exclusive tag but they have ended up not being able to agree on an offer from another festival?

yep, all things are possible.

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Maybe the festival are just booking 4 headline-worthy acts as a matter of course now because of the issues with drop-outs in the past?

from what's been said to me, they very definitely have a back-up plan of some kind - presumably acts who are told they'll get bumped up to headline in particular circumstances (which is what I heard was the deal with Kasabian), and I know they had a back-up plan in place for if the Stones didn't come thru (tho I don't know who).

Surprised by the love for this rumour. They're shite and also shite live (2.5 hours of man running around screaming AYYYYYY OOOOOH does not an enjoyable night make).

We do this all the time and it never happens. They won't play unless they headline the Pyramid, which they'll never get asked to do.

We also always do the "they're not billed as exclusive so must be elsewhere" thing all the time and the act often just ends up not playing elsewhere. As said above, BST probably just didn't tie them down as exclusive like the rest.

Anyway I hope it doesn't happen as I'd like a decent option opposite Sheeran.

12 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Surprised by the love for this rumour. They're shite and also shite live (2.5 hours of man running around screaming AYYYYYY OOOOOH does not an enjoyable night make).

We do this all the time and it never happens. They won't play unless they headline the Pyramid, which they'll never get asked to do.

We also always do the "they're not billed as exclusive so must be elsewhere" thing all the time and the act often just ends up not playing elsewhere. As said above, BST probably just didn't tie them down as exclusive like the rest.

Anyway I hope it doesn't happen as I'd like a decent option opposite Sheeran.

Yeah it probably won't, but when it's someone like Green Day who easily headline festivals it feels more realistic than the likes of The Cure or whoever, who aren't doing much to stay a headliner, because they haven't really anything to lose and could just do it for the fuck of it.

Hope they don't play anyway. Would like to see the last headliner for a couple of years or more with friends rather than solo, and Foos I could manage and my mates might not all wanna go anyway, whereas Green Day on the Other Stage I would have no interest in (they're good showmen but I've seen it at perhaps their peak) and it would also be impossible to tempt others elsewhere, so it'd be a nightmare scenario.

Edited by dentalplan