Other Stage 2017

Gucci Piggy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think if they were then the announcement of their support to sell tickets through would have come already. I'd be in an ultimatum as, as much as I don't feel the need to see them again, I don't think I'd be paying for BST regardless of Rancid or not. It would make them vs Ed very hard but he'd have to win.

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Personally I think if they were then the announcement of their support to sell tickets through would have come already. I'd be in an ultimatum as, as much as I don't feel the need to see them again, I don't think I'd be paying for BST regardless of Rancid or not. It would make them vs Ed very hard but he'd have to win.

It is odd they haven't announced support acts yet, unless they're finalizing a few bigger names. Catfish could well support them.

If they were ever going to do Glasto I think this would be their year. Seems they have peaked a little now, and with all this Trump rubbish that's going on, they may well want that exposure to make a statement at a festival that, much like them, is against everything Trump stands for. It's not exactly now or never, but not sure when their chance to headline the pyramid would come along

Edited by across97

3 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

If it is true, then it would make my decision a hard one. I'm seeing Green Day on July 4th at Bellahouston and I do like Ed Sheeran so wouldn't mind seeing him. However, to get to see them play at Glastonbury and potentially close the festival for me...they might swing it.

The only negative I see is would they be given the usual 2hr 30 slot they love to playing. Would seeing green day play for like 1hr 15 be the same?

Still, Good Riddance closing the festival would give me goosebumps

1 minute ago, jparx said:

It would have to be one of the biggest non-headliner gets in the history of the festival surely?

Which is why I don't think it'll happen. I know a lot of people have these pictures of Glastonbury going above and beyond with their bookings, but they've never done anything of this magnitude regardless of the rumours that crop up every year. Why poach people away from Sheeran's undoubtedly ginormous crowd by booking another headliner sized act to play at the same time?

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Which is why I don't think it'll happen. I know a lot of people have these pictures of Glastonbury going above and beyond with their bookings, but they've never done anything of this magnitude regardless of the rumours that crop up every year. Why poach people away from Sheeran's undoubtedly ginormous crowd by booking another headliner sized act to play at the same time?

What else is interesting though, is BST haven't billed them as  UK festival exclusive. So there must be another festival they're playing somewhere.

Download is out of the question, R+L not possible nor is V or IOW. So all that leaves is the new Scottish fest TITP replacement or Glastonbury? Unless I've missed out a festival 

Edited by across97

7 minutes ago, henry bear said:

It would be 3 gigs in 3 days (which they won't otherwise have done on this tour) if they do play on the Sunday.

There's less flexibility around festie dates, cos the band has to fit in the fest, rather than the dates fit their wants - so while it might be unusual, it's not out of the question. 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

They attempted to go bigger than Green Day the year it was planned to have Metallica as Other headliners, so it's not impossible. Metallica weren't Other headliners in the end, but only because the fest lost its hoped-for headliner (Prince, i think from memory), and tyhat gives a clear indication that something like Green Day isn't outside of what the festival might do.

In the case of Metallica, I'm pretty sure that the band approached the festival, and the festival fitted them in around what they already had planned. It might be the same here.

I've no idea if there's anything to this Green Day thing, but nothing says to me its impossible.

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

It would have to be one of the biggest non-headliner gets in the history of the festival surely?

Yep. Biggest for a few years definitely, but I'd suggest that Roger Waters would still be the absolute biggest. Beyonce maybe as well, although I'm not sure if that's just with the benefit of hindsight.

Metallica (if Prince had done it) and Neil Young (if he'd not cancelled in 97) would have been the other obvious candidates for that list.

The other name that came to mind is Leonard Cohen, but that's definitely hindsight talking - at the time many thought it was too high a placement.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They're playing Bellahouston Park, so wont be at the TRNSMT festival.

So by a process of elimination...

I'd think BST would bill them as a UK Festival Exclusive if they were one, but maybe they don't bill acts in that way as its different to the normal weekender festival

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

There's less flexibility around festie dates, cos the band has to fit in the fest, rather than the dates fit their wants - so while it might be unusual, it's not out of the question. 

They attempted to go bigger than Green Day the year it was planned to have Metallica as Other headliners, so it's not impossible. Metallica weren't Other headliners in the end, but only because the fest lost its hoped-for headliner (Prince, i think from memory), and tyhat gives a clear indication that something like Green Day isn't outside of what the festival might do.

In the case of Metallica, I'm pretty sure that the band approached the festival, and the festival fitted them in around what they already had planned. It might be the same here.

I've no idea if there's anything to this Green Day thing, but nothing says to me its impossible.

Did Emily not also suggest that they are cramming "two years worth of music" into 2017's event? Could this be a nod towards a strong Other Stage headliner or two?

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Green Day are one of those bands that I think understand the significance and can relate to what Glastonbury stands for. I don't think they'd be phased by a lower slot.

They've had a pretty illustrious career, the days of chasing success and big slots I think is now beyond them. They just love making music and playing shows, in any environment. So, it really wouldn't shock me to see them in a slot other than Pyramid Headliner

11 minutes ago, incident said:

Yep. Biggest for a few years definitely, but I'd suggest that Roger Waters would still be the absolute biggest. Beyonce maybe as well, although I'm not sure if that's just with the benefit of hindsight.

Metallica (if Prince had done it) and Neil Young (if he'd not cancelled in 97) would have been the other obvious candidates for that list.

Beyoncé and Metallica ended up headlining.

So clearly Ed's pulling out leaving Green Day to headline the Pyramid.