Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jules62

'As much alcohol as you can carry in your hand'

Recommended Posts

So we've just received our information email from WV camping today, and it states:-   'You are allowed to bring your own alcohol to Glastonbury Festival, but we only allow a reasonable quantity for personal consumption (no more than you can carry in your hands on your first arrival to the campsite)'   Has anyone else queried this?  is this being said for the main camping as well?  

thanks J

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think that came up about the whole festival site though, and then they quickly back tracked.

 

not sure about worthy View

 

just take as much as you can on your trolley and  have words with them politely 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Heres the statement from Michael Eavis about it.

"In reference to the email about alcohol that went out to Glastonbury 2013 ticket holders this morning, my personal preference is for people that come to our festival to drink much less!

However, Glastonbury remains the only major festival that allows people to bring their own alcohol in, and you are still OK to bring your own alcohol through the gates, providing it's just for your own use (whether it's on a trolley or not).

We changed the rule when Jeremy Beadle attended the festival a few years back and he was only able to bring in one of those miniature vodka bottles like you see in hotel minibars."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

We changed the rule when Jeremy Beadle attended the festival a few years back and he was only able to bring in one of those miniature vodka bottles like you see in hotel minibars."

Gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jules62 said:

So we've just received our information email from WV camping today, and it states:-   'You are allowed to bring your own alcohol to Glastonbury Festival, but we only allow a reasonable quantity for personal consumption (no more than you can carry in your hands on your first arrival to the campsite)'   Has anyone else queried this?  is this being said for the main camping as well?  

thanks J

 

Yeah we got that today too.  it's nonsense, or rather its worded badly, so don't worry about it.  They don't want people selling it on.  If you're in a group and have a barrow-full nobody is going to say no.

Plus in worthy view once you've checked in you're next to the car park anyway, so you'd just head back for a second crate.

If they see you heading in and out of the site with barrow after barrow of booze and returning with wads of cash, expect to raise some eyebrows!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

6c8d61508321ac444175370124200350-640x360

I need these!

24 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yep. Heres the statement from Michael Eavis about it.

"In reference to the email about alcohol that went out to Glastonbury 2013 ticket holders this morning, my personal preference is for people that come to our festival to drink much less!

However, Glastonbury remains the only major festival that allows people to bring their own alcohol in, and you are still OK to bring your own alcohol through the gates, providing it's just for your own use (whether it's on a trolley or not).

We changed the rule when Jeremy Beadle attended the festival a few years back and he was only able to bring in one of those miniature vodka bottles like you see in hotel minibars."

Brilliant!

Sorry about other post ... it wouldn't let me delete it!  I've been and checked last years information email, and yes its there as well... panic over!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's nonsense. We stayed in WV last year and a few of our group didn't arrive until late on the Thursday night. On Friday morning we unpacked their boot which had an absolute shedload of booze (much to replace that which had been drunk on Wed/Thurs). They didn't question it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah but was it in the WV email last year? odd to include it for this year if so. wonder if it will be on the general info mail too?

i know there's a festival here in Ireland (Body&Soul) that has a free-flow policy of being allowed bring alcohol wherever you like (like Glastonbury) but it has a "alcohol permitted on first entry only" rule to stop people making multiple trips in and out of the festival and selling cans etc. presumably it's also to mildly appease alcohol sponsors as there's a better chance of people buying pints if they're running low.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was on there last year as well. Not one fuck was given by the team on the gate about the amount of alcohol we had with us, although it was clearly not for resale. They even offered to carry our stuff to our tent in a wheel barrow for us. Jolly nice of them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there's a lawyer or 2 kicking about but terms and conditions are only valid if available at the point of sale, you can't sell something to someone then introduce lots of t's and c's after the sale.

of course they can just not allow you access until you take the booze back to your car or ditch it if you came by coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jules62 said:

So we've just received our information email from WV camping today, and it states:-   'You are allowed to bring your own alcohol to Glastonbury Festival, but we only allow a reasonable quantity for personal consumption (no more than you can carry in your hands on your first arrival to the campsite)'   Has anyone else queried this?  is this being said for the main camping as well?  

thanks J

 

It's worded poorly and is surely discriminatory..........if you have a condition e.g. arthritis and can't carry any you're not allowed to bring any in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

6c8d61508321ac444175370124200350-640x360

Super hands Is djing in Stonebridge right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, saintfletch said:

It was on there last year as well. Not one fuck was given by the team on the gate about the amount of alcohol we had with us, although it was clearly not for resale. They even offered to carry our stuff to our tent in a wheel barrow for us. Jolly nice of them!

did it say the "first arrival" part? can probably just ignore it if so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a removals man of the past 20 years I could easily manage (at a slight struggle in mud) about 6-8 crates of 24 cans each in my hands through gate c (for a 100 yard stretch)  in one go, so don't panic folks. It'll be a struggle but what you have to do you have to do. On a sack barrow I could arrange them neatly and tightly stacked to over 20-25 crates/cases/whatever. Weather and mud permitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

did it say the "first arrival" part? can probably just ignore it if so.

The exact wording from the 2015 Worthy View info pack:

'If you intend to bring alcohol to Worthy View then you will only be allowed to bring a reasonable quantity for personal consumption into the site (no more than you can carry in your hands on your first arrival to the campsite). Spirits and glass bottles are not permitted.'

So pretty much the same wording as last year and the years before that. At least they seem to have removed the badly worded spirits and glass bottle wording this year. Basically don't worry about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Nal said:

Yep. Heres the statement from Michael Eavis about it.

"In reference to the email about alcohol that went out to Glastonbury 2013 ticket holders this morning, my personal preference is for people that come to our festival to drink much less!

However, Glastonbury remains the only major festival that allows people to bring their own alcohol in, and you are still OK to bring your own alcohol through the gates, providing it's just for your own use (whether it's on a trolley or not).

We changed the rule when Jeremy Beadle attended the festival a few years back and he was only able to bring in one of those miniature vodka bottles like you see in hotel minibars."

Is this in reference to beadles tiny hand? Or that beadle was a prankster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a vaguely related Worthy View note, it also says in the T&C's

9              Open fires are not permitted at “Worthy View” save for the communal campfire supervised by the Management and campsite staff. Small barbecues can be used in these fields, but they must be a safe distance away from any tents or other structures.

However I don't see on the map or any other documentation any reference to a communal campsite fire.  Is there such a thing?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cooter said:

As a removals man of the past 20 years I could easily manage (at a slight struggle in mud) about 6-8 crates of 24 cans each in my hands through gate c (for a 100 yard stretch)  in one go, so don't panic folks. It'll be a struggle but what you have to do you have to do. On a sack barrow I could arrange them neatly and tightly stacked to over 20-25 crates/cases/whatever. Weather and mud permitting.

I bet you charge a fucking fortune though and aren't adverse to rifling through the odd knicker drawer or two.

;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot about this. I kinda wish it were true though... In 2010, we were getting the National Express down, we'd booked the 4am one like twats but seemingly so had everyone else. I've had some fairly twatty experiences of National Express, seen people turned away for having one bag too many or whatever but this time they were fine with people loading trolleys of crates onto the thing. It had to go, probably about 15 passengers light just so they could fit everyone's booze on and we ended up being delayed ages.

I usually just take spirits which isn't a problem in this only in your hands non-issue mind. Mate's driving down this time so will be taking advantage of that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RichardWaller said:

Forgot about this. I kinda wish it were true though... In 2010, we were getting the National Express down, we'd booked the 4am one like twats but seemingly so had everyone else. I've had some fairly twatty experiences of National Express, seen people turned away for having one bag too many or whatever but this time they were fine with people loading trolleys of crates onto the thing. It had to go, probably about 15 passengers light just so they could fit everyone's booze on and we ended up being delayed ages.

I usually just take spirits which isn't a problem in this only in your hands non-issue mind. Mate's driving down this time so will be taking advantage of that...

What?  They left passengers behind rather than telling people to fuck off with their trolleys?  What did the 15 people do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×