John Peel Stage moving location

jackarmy

1 hour ago, Bradders said:

What's everyone's problem with the Beat Hotel? They have some great lineups, what's wrong with people sitting on a pyramid thing outside it?

Find it has some of the best electronic on sight- Gerd Janson b2b with Ata on Thursday was sensational it was hardly full as everybody else was seeing JESUS, Circoloco or somewhere else. The Donkey Punch was a great way to get going again in the morning.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Mmm, any stage moving closer to another stage makes me worry about sound overspill.  The Pyramid acts can be heard right through what's on in the Acoustic.  Let's hope JP will not go the same way.  It will help that the acts there tend to be louder.

Don't think that's much of a concern in this case. Long Ground was used as the Outdoor Cinema Field for years, and they used to have films starting at 10pm - I never saw a film there but I don't remember any mention of noise bleed. The field is pretty isolated.

As for the Acoustic, since the new Pyramid sound system was introduced a couple of years ago, the amount of noise bleed into the Acoustic Stage seems to have reduced massively when I've been there. Can't say I even noticed it anymore whereas it used to be terrible.

Though obviously all of this can vary depending on weather conditions - pretty much any sound can end up anywhere if the conditions conspire, like in 2008 when apparently The Killers set was louder off-site than the back half of the Pyramid Field.

1 hour ago, Jakkkkobz said:

Find it has some of the best electronic on sight- Gerd Janson b2b with Ata on Thursday was sensational it was hardly full as everybody else was seeing JESUS, Circoloco or somewhere else. The Donkey Punch was a great way to get going again in the morning.

those Donkey Punches were lovely but lethal, and hard on the wallet too! so easy to go through them quickly with the weather last year.

Happy with the move. Hopefully get a nice bar up there and make it a new little area. Whenever I've been to see a band at the jp I'm always in and out, don't like the area around it, sort of like going to Brixton academy. Would be nice to know if I'm walking from the park area I've a nice bar to reward me with the trek 

4 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Happy with the move. Hopefully get a nice bar up there and make it a new little area. Whenever I've been to see a band at the jp I'm always in and out, don't like the area around it, sort of like going to Brixton academy. Would be nice to know if I'm walking from the park area I've a nice bar to reward me with the trek 

Yeah, make it an area rather than just a big tent slapped in where it can fit.  Add some food stalls as well as a bar.

22 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I think the Beat Hotel should be moved into SH. it makes that area a real trial. A containment strategy is a good one.

Am also selfishly worried that the area around the Beat Hotel will now become part of the Pyramid team litterpicking area instead of the JP team as its horrid along there. 

I don't think everything similar should be shoved together. I like that the Beat Hotel is a separate location to other late night spots.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

To be fair there are (some) food stalls and a bar in the vicinity of the JPT.

Are there?  Do you mean the ones in the random bit between Pyramid and JPT?  It all seems a bit random and jumbled.  If they can rework it like they did round William's Green to get more focus then I'll be happy.

If there is a bar and food stall actually in the JPT area, then they must be fairly unmemorable.  Or maybe it's just because it's been 18 months and I've forgotten!

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Are there?  Do you mean the ones in the random bit between Pyramid and JPT?  It all seems a bit random and jumbled.  If they can rework it like they did round William's Green to get more focus then I'll be happy.

If there is a bar and food stall actually in the JPT area, then they must be fairly unmemorable.  Or maybe it's just because it's been 18 months and I've forgotten!

There's one on the corner just as you start walking towards the Pyramid.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Aren't there two or three (bog standard burger bar) places along the wall on the LHS as you look towards it, backing onto the wall that blocks access to the road.

Maybe I've got it wrong. It's not exactly my most frequented bit of the site.

There are a few food stalls on the left as you walk from the pyramid stage, like you say, just standard burger vans. There's also the place along there to do your hair and make up and it's always really busy, don't understand it 

The Beat Hotel is wonderful. Don't be put off by the people at the back, make your way to the front. Always a great vibe with more than enough boogie space, the DJs always seem to be in a great mood, and it's not full of ladz. I've spent many nights there over the past 3 years. It's really nice in the day too. 

23 minutes ago, Tuna said:

The Beat Hotel is wonderful. Don't be put off by the people at the back, make your way to the front. Always a great vibe with more than enough boogie space, the DJs always seem to be in a great mood, and it's not full of ladz. I've spent many nights there over the past 3 years. It's really nice in the day too. 

I'd agree with this, and it was me that had negative comments about the outside, it's the only thing that's ever been the problem with it for me, there's nothing wrong with the music going on, and there's was some good food being dished out there last year too 

4 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I'd agree with this, and it was me that had negative comments about the outside, it's the only thing that's ever been the problem with it for me, there's nothing wrong with the music going on, and there's was some good food being dished out there last year too 

The sign thing that people sit / climb on...it always makes me feel like when you get on the coach for the school trip to the Natural History Museum and all the fifth years were sat in the 'cool' seats at the back so they could hilariously flick the Vs to mororists behind while I had to sit next to smelly old Mr Price (aka Womble 'cos he allegedly only had one ball) near the front.

It's perhaps time I let this stuff go.

Edited by Woffy

5 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

There are a few food stalls on the left as you walk from the pyramid stage, like you say, just standard burger vans. There's also the place along there to do your hair and make up and it's always really busy, don't understand it 

There are actually a couple of really good food stalls there. A french one that does meat and veg casseroles and one that does a mean chilli, heavy with garlic. Also a small bar and (I think) a wine counter. I quite like that little stretch.

2 minutes ago, Waapster said:

There are actually a couple of really good food stalls there. A french one that does meat and veg casseroles and one that does a mean chilli, heavy with garlic. Also a small bar and (I think) a wine counter. I quite like that little stretch.

There's a place that does amazing organic fry ups in the morning. The farmhouse kitchen I believe it's called. Nice organic coffee and amazing elderflower juice also. Perfect start to the day from our michael's mead campsite! 

tbh this JP move can only be a good thing - that whole area for me was a total deadzone. only reason i ever went there in 2014 was cause i was camped there. don't think i ventured there once last year, even though there were occasionally acts i would've liked to see. might be swayed to go there more if they make more of an area of it rather than a tent in the middle of a giant mud heap