JoeyT

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Oh, did they get tickets?

Harsh but fair :lol:

One of the worst gigs I've ever been to was Travis back in the day. It was at the SECC which is a shite venue at the best of times. Travis were, unsurprisingly, very dull. At one point (I think it might have been during 'Turn') they projected a screen behind them on stage and had a PS2 hooked up with Gran Turismo playing. They then got a kid up from the audience to play it while they did the song. It was bizarre. Kinda like in Come Dine With Me when someone has a weird 'entertainment' thing set up during their night which just perplexes their guests.

When I saw they were touring again this year they were my prediction for the Other opener. Wouldn't be surprised if they were on after James actually.

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

One of the worst gigs I've ever been to was Travis back in the day. It was at the SECC which is a shite venue at the best of times. Travis were, unsurprisingly, very dull. At one point (I think it might have been during 'Turn') they projected a screen behind them on stage and had a PS2 hooked up with Gran Turismo playing. They then got a kid up from the audience to play it while they did the song. It was bizarre. Kinda like in Come Dine With Me when someone has a weird 'entertainment' thing set up during their night which just perplexes their guests.

When I saw they were touring again this year they were my prediction for the Other opener. Wouldn't be surprised if they were on after James actually.

i have to give Coldplay credit, for a while, I lumped the two of them in together doing similar, nice but a bit wet songs.  Coldplay's back catalogue for all its horrors, contains more variety 15 years on than Travis's.

27 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Was it Gran Turismo 2? That's nothing short of a stone cold classic.

Still, a bit weird to have as your backdrop. At least it might have kept a few more people awake.

28 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

One of the worst gigs I've ever been to was Travis back in the day. It was at the SECC which is a shite venue at the best of times. Travis were, unsurprisingly, very dull. At one point (I think it might have been during 'Turn') they projected a screen behind them on stage and had a PS2 hooked up with Gran Turismo playing. They then got a kid up from the audience to play it while they did the song. It was bizarre. 

Yeah I saw them on this tour. 

They covered Rocket Man......

You guys....:rofl:

I actually have a bit of a soft spot for Travis.  Stumbled across them touring before the first album came out and they were brilliant.  First album is great, second one is good, then they got - as one of you put it - a bit wet.

I may even go and see them if they turn up in a non-clash slot.

*awaits backlash*......

In my opinion the first Travis album was a great indie pop album - More Than Us, All I Wanna Do Is Rock, Tied to the 90's - ace pop songs. The problem was they then went all wet and acoustic (which became all the rage after Wonderwall) and the next 2 albums simply didn't have as strong songs on them. Flowers In the Window is awful, U16 Girls was a great tune. They rode the wave of success around that acoustic music at the time.

6 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

In my opinion the first Travis album was a great indie pop album - More Than Us, All I Wanna Do Is Rock, Tied to the 90's - ace pop songs. The problem was they then went all wet and acoustic (which became all the rage after Wonderwall) and the next 2 albums simply didn't have as strong songs on them. Flowers In the Window is awful, U16 Girls was a great tune. They rode the wave of success around that acoustic music at the time.

Agree entirely.  Went with fashion and worsened for it.  Still some good songs on The Man Who though IMO.

57 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Great stuff :lol:

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Just out of interest, why did you go and see them if you thought they would be deathly dull? I assume they were at their commercial peak as well, playing arena's Zzz.

Edited by ericlered

44 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Was it Gran Turismo 2? That's nothing short of a stone cold classic.

Still, a bit weird to have as your backdrop. At least it might have kept a few more people awake.

Weirdly enough, I have had the dusty old playstation (1) out the last couple of weeks and GT2 has been the game! Better than all that followed so I'm told... I haven't kept up with new fangled consoles this century.

Edited by ericlered

6 minutes ago, ericlered said:

Just out of interest, why did you go and see them if you thought they would be deathly dull? I assume they were at their commercial peak as well, playing arena's Zzz.

It was back in my early 20s when I was single, disposable cash heavy and went to loads of gigs. There was a crowd of us and if one or two fancied going to see someone we all tended to go along. As others have mentioned above the first album was good so I certainly didn't hate them, just found the gig pretty boring.

I have a list of bands I went to see around then that I don't tend to talk about.

Just now, SwedgeAntilles said:

It was back in my early 20s when I was single, disposable cash heavy and went to loads of gigs. There was a crowd of us and if one or two fancied going to see someone we all tended to go along. As others have mentioned above the first album was good so I certainly didn't hate them, just found the gig pretty boring.

I have a list of bands I went to see around then that I don't tend to talk about.

Yeah I must say I was (and still am) a fan of the first album, having seen them support Oasis before it was released I think? But they went slowly/swiftly (delete as appropriate) downhill after that, think I gave up after the 3rd album.

58 minutes ago, ericlered said:

Yeah I must say I was (and still am) a fan of the first album, having seen them support Oasis before it was released I think? But they went slowly/swiftly (delete as appropriate) downhill after that, think I gave up after the 3rd album.

I saw Travis support Oasis in 97 at the GMEX. It was as their first album was out.

I saw Travis at the IOW festival as they were a late replacement for Morrissey. I liked their 1st album and about half of the 2nd so thought I may as well see them as back then IOW had hardly anything else to do. They were surprisingly good. They didn't take themselves too seriously and had a laugh. They were very drunk and kept forgetting the words which helped. Don't think I would see them again especially at a festival like Glastonbury with so much else going on but they are more fun than their albums suggest.