2017 festival

kaosmark2

1 hour ago, VCK said:

Wouldn't surprise me if HAIM did play third, but I think 4th or 5th is more realistic.

Odd that they haven't announced the sub on that day in general yet.

It's not so farfetched, assuming they'll be playing the evening in Zurich. It's only a two hour flight, and Reading is just down the road from Heathrow. I'm sure there's been bands who have played Reading and Leeds in the past, who have played elsewhere in Europe on the spare day.

I think people are underestimating how weak Sunday might be. They haven't announced what they have to just chuck a load of bands in above later. Anything we had from Wireless for example I'm fairly sure was there from the start including BBK who were thought of as a very weak top of line with KYGO.

30 STM, I know you didn't say them, would be reluctant to come over in that space for a sub spot exclusive or not, other fests they would play have announced.

1 hour ago, pepesilvia said:

Yeah, I remember loads of bands in 2015 including Libs playing Rock en Seine on the free Saturday, could def happen imo even though Zurich is further. 

Difference is though The Libertines were a headliner....worth the little extra effort, and yes I know they made last minute Glasto adjustments but they love them two.

1 hour ago, harryy said:

Royal Blood to sub Muse maybe????

There is no reason to hold back though, Glasto announcement won't stop it end of the month and there is no tour dates.

Speaking of these though, I am surprised their Eden Sessions show isn't sold out yet.

Edited by thewayiam

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if it's been mentioned but frank turner (solo) got announced at a festival in Portsmouth today for the Saturday of Reading/Leeds. Pretty much nails him on for his 11th consecutive Reading festival. Wonder where he will play this year? Hopefully headlining the lock up stage. 

2 hours ago, pepesilvia said:

Yeah, I remember loads of bands in 2015 including Libs playing Rock en Seine on the free Saturday, could def happen imo even though Zurich is further. 

Yeah the couple of years that Zurich has been the same weekend, the Wednesday and Thursday has been mainly acts at R+L and no crossover during the actual weekend. Rock en Seine has always crossed over so it must be the distance. Nice username btw.

Edited by dentalplan

Does anyone know why most kids go to Reading? Surely it would be better for everyone if those who listen to pop and rap go to Wireless and V instead of contaminating other festivals 

Edited by Steve1000
I mean the lineups, don't have an issue with the kids themselves

10 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Does anyone know why most kids go to Reading? Surely it would be better for everyone if those who listen to pop and rap go to Wireless and V instead of contaminating other festivals

Don't sound so entitled, dude. They can choose to go wherever they like. 

32 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Worded this poorly. What I meant was that I don't get why a rap fan would choose to go to Reading instead of say Wireless, because Wireless is specific to the genre, meaning they get exclusively the music that they enjoy, and the Reading wouldn't be in a position where they need to start changing their lineup, surely this would be the best for everyone. Obviously I don't have an issue with the kids themselves

4 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Worded this poorly. What I meant was that I don't get why a rap fan would choose to go to Reading instead of say Wireless, because Wireless is specific to the genre, meaning they get exclusively the music that they enjoy, and the Reading wouldn't be in a position where they need to start changing their lineup, surely this would be the best for everyone. Obviously I don't have an issue with the kids themselves

Someone who is solely a rap fan probably would go to Wireless instead. But obviously the majority are gonna like a mix of styles, which Reading offers.

39 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

At 15, I would probably be considered, one of them 'kids'. And without trying to sound as much of an arsehole, I am a fan of metal, rock, grime, country and everything in between. Contrary to your ridiculous beliefs, I wouldn't say that I 'contaminate' any festival I go to. I have chosen to go to Leeds since 2014 and have after 2017 will have gone two years consecutively  as press to review for 2 publications. This year, as well as many other people my age I will be going to celebrate/commiserate my GCSE results and would like to enjoy my weekend without the oh so horrible thought of 'contaminating' your precious weekend.  Festivals are a place for anyone to go, listen to live music and have a good weekend with mates. Stop being so moody, enjoy your weekend and let other people enjoy theirs.

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

Wireless isn't a camping festival so it isn't the same as a weekend away getting off your nut on Carlsberg, Ket and losing your virginity in a strangers tent. 

Also you're missing the point that Reading, for at least 25 years, has consistently booked what is popular among younger people. The sort of music your sort complain about showing up at Reading is only showing up because it's popular. Reading consistently sells out year after year even though the lineup seems to get more and more panned on here. 

What you're saying is basically like saying "why would a rock/metal/punk fan go to Reading instead of Download/Slam Dunk when they can get exclusively at those festivals". 

For the record I'd take these kids over losers like you any day. 

1 hour ago, FestivalPanda99 said:

At 15, I would probably be considered, one of them 'kids'. And without trying to sound as much of an arsehole, I am a fan of metal, rock, grime, country and everything in between. Contrary to your ridiculous beliefs, I wouldn't say that I 'contaminate' any festival I go to. I have chosen to go to Leeds since 2014 and have after 2017 will have gone two years consecutively  as press to review for 2 publications. This year, as well as many other people my age I will be going to celebrate/commiserate my GCSE results and would like to enjoy my weekend without the oh so horrible thought of 'contaminating' your precious weekend.  Festivals are a place for anyone to go, listen to live music and have a good weekend with mates. Stop being so moody, enjoy your weekend and let other people enjoy theirs.

I was going to make a post taking the piss out of the original guy for getting schooled on maturity by someone young enough to be born in 1999. Then I realized that if you were born in 1999 you're probably 18 anyway. Fuck sake :D 

1 minute ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

I was going to make a post taking the piss out of the original guy for getting schooled on maturity by someone young enough to be born in 1999. Then I realized that if you were born in 1999 you're probably 18 anyway. Fuck sake :D 

2001! Christ I feel young here, hadn't planned on putting out my age due to prejudice pricks like that guy!

Just now, FestivalPanda99 said:

Here comes the next generation ;)

We used to look at 90s line-ups and lament how we were too young to experience the festivals back then. I wonder if your lot are upset about being too young to witness the likes of Razorlight and Kaiser Chiefs headlining/subbing festivals.

Just now, VCK said:

We used to look at 90s line-ups and lament how we were too young to experience the festivals back then. I wonder if your lot are upset about being too young to witness the likes of Razorlight and Kaiser Chiefs headlining/subbing festivals.

I'm sour about not being at Radioheads 1997 glasto set, almost 4 years before I was born

I'm incredibly bitter about that QOTSA -> Killers -> Pixies night in 05. Perfect doesn't even come close to describing what that night would be for me, unfortunately I was 8 at the time.

This lad born in 2001 though is about 10 years old though if that, dunno what he's on about saying he's sitting GCSEs.

Re: why do the kids come to Reading, I think there are multiple reasons:

1) 16 years old is probably the first time they are allowed to attend and camp for the weekend.

2) It is straight after GCSE results, so it is a chance to celebrate/commiserate.

3) It may be the last chance to hang out with all their school friends, before they disperse to jobs, 6th form, colleges etc.

4) The Festival has a diverse range of music, so should appeal to a wide demographic.

5) The Festival is legendary and some kids will want to visit the mythical place that Nirvana headlined in ’92, The Stone Roses fell apart in ’96, 50 Cent was bottled in ’04 etc.

The Festival is always changing though and so is the demographic.

When I first started going in the mid-90s, it felt like the average age was early 20s and I don’t remember there being the vast numbers of 16-17 year olds that attend today.

I have no problem with the huge percentage of kids attending - it’s what the Festival caters to at the moment and I’m sure that it will be different in 10 years – when the kids have found a new ‘rite of passage’. Plus all the 16-17 year olds means that the bar queue is a fraction of what it used to be!

The only (minor) issue I have is that a lot of the 16 year olds never seem to come back again, but I guess music may not be the primary motive for many of them attending…

I've read a lot of strange stuff on here before including "tent masturbation", but these comments on 'kids' at Reading and Leeds are... I cant even find a word to describe what they are haha.

We were all 16 once, and we were, most likely, going to festivals then. My first festival was Leeds 2009 I was 16 (nearly 17). I rocked up in my white trainers and a white jumper! (fashion has never been a strong point of mine) I did not expect thick mud to be everywhere, how naive i was... anyway, walking through the village i slipped and fell in a giant puddle covered myself in mud at around 12:00 <_< a roaring cheer surrounded me, I waved and embraced the fall. 2009 was a wake up call... admittedly it wasn't as much of a wake up call as Poo girl got, that year. Long live poo girl. 

24 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I just saw this:

http://www.rocksound.tv/news/read/pvris-have-been-announced-for-a-european-festival

Pvris playing a Dutch festival 18-20th August, pretty much guarantees them for Reading too I would imagine.

That coupled with MTV rocks playing a video of theirs on the R&L line up show makes it look pretty likely.