2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, harry_6955 said:

Any ideas on who will headline the NME stage on the Sunday? I don't see anyone who has already been announced being big enough to do it, but this time last year we had all 3 NME headliners announced

London Grammar I reckon 

37 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Hmm perhaps although R+L always avoided them on their first album. I was expecting Stormzy but he's ended up at V now. Possibly Skepta

Skepta is too big for the NME stage honestly- rather put him on Main subbing Muse then put Chance on NME

5 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

I think Drenge are big enough to headline The Pit. It's more that they have more or less nothing to do with that sort of thing and wouldn't sell a ticket to anyone who would be going for The Pit, so would be a waste of a Pit headliner.

Recent ones have mostly been big enough to do their own Academy tours haven't they? Drenge have only been playing those as supports for acts like Wolf Alice or Bloc Party on the NME tour, and are usually below that level. You're right on your main point too but I wouldn't be surprised if it made a turn for a bit more alt rock at some point.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

HAIM headlining the NME with Chance and Shikari under Muse seemed like a good shout. No way are HAIM going from third down NME to subbing/playing third down main stage. 

Still think we have sub, third down and NME headliner to be announced. The only issue is everytime I think of bands (other than chance who I think is 3rd down main) to fill the sub and NME void, I just can't figure out why they haven't been announced yet (e.g. Clean Bandit/London Grammar on NME surely would have been announced during the last round).

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Still think we have sub, third down and NME headliner to be announced. The only issue is everytime I think of bands (other than chance who I think is 3rd down main) to fill the sub and NME void, I just can't figure out why they haven't been announced yet (e.g. Clean Bandit/London Grammar on NME surely would have been announced during the last round).

It saddens me that I think that's a bit too optimistic. I would definitely like to be proven wrong cause there does feel like there's a definite void for those spots but I also can't see why they'd hold back so many of the day's big slots back.

8 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

After Gorillaz announcing their first date for this year, headlining their own festival in June, do people think that maybe it's possible that they'll sub for MUSE? It might explain why they haven't announced them yet....

Though tbh I think maybe their too big to sub, especially as it's their comeback. A man can dream though...

They are too big to sub

Anyone else see a gorillaz secret set happening, setting them up for 2018 ?

Seems abit odd they haven't been announced for any proper festivals , and glasto seems unlikely now.

Not to sure they'd fit in at reading any more though.

1 hour ago, thelemon said:

Could MGMT headline the NME?

Nah. Not touring Europe yet anyway.

I've grown more pessimistic about the acts added upon hearing how few options we can think of plugging into those gaps. Can only think Chano or Skepta, maybe Enter Shikari but I can't remember if they have any exclusivity. Probably just gonna be an awfully weak day.

Just now, supasum said:

Anyone else see a gorillaz secret set happening, setting them up for 2018 ?

Seems abit odd they haven't been announced for any proper festivals , and glasto seems unlikely now.

Not to sure they'd fit in at reading any more though.

Well we heard they weren't doing any festivals this year before this year had started, Demon Dayz is obviously a festival but it's their own gig basically so it's practically exempt.

Couldn't do a secret set though - when you think about their live show there's no way it's being set up for a dinky slot in the middle of the day.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well we heard they weren't doing any festivals this year before this year had started, Demon Dayz is obviously a festival but it's their own gig basically so it's practically exempt.

Couldn't do a secret set though - when you think about their live show there's no way it's being set up for a dinky slot in the middle of the day.

Yeah I though after posting, far to elaborate to be popped up on nme in 25 minutes ! 

Just desperate wishful thinking for a decent big band ! 

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Nah. Not touring Europe yet anyway.

I've grown more pessimistic about the acts added upon hearing how few options we can think of plugging into those gaps. Can only think Chano or Skepta, maybe Enter Shikari but I can't remember if they have any exclusivity. Probably just gonna be an awfully weak day.

The only exclusivity around Enter Shikari at Slam Dunk is the Take to the Skies celebration set I believe.
That and the fact they're writing a new album probably pushes their chances of being at R+L even more

16 hours ago, Andre91 said:

HAIM headlining the NME with Chance and Shikari under Muse seemed like a good shout. No way are HAIM going from third down NME to subbing/playing third down main stage. 

I feel like Haim are no more relevant since they cancelled last year. There's no reason why they should move up in the ranks at all. I think they'd make a good NME sub but I can't think of who would headline that stage.

50 minutes ago, harry_6955 said:

I feel like Haim are no more relevant since they cancelled last year. There's no reason why they should move up in the ranks at all. I think they'd make a good NME sub but I can't think of who would headline that stage.

Tbf they were NME sub last year (not sure why people keep saying they were 3rd down) but they could easily have headlined the stage imo. Most people would have expected them to headline it rather than sub it before they were announced. May just have been the case that they had too many big acts available so gave them a smaller slot. If they headline NME this year it's fair enough imo.

20 minutes ago, VCK said:

Chance to headline the NME stage. alt-J, Royal Blood or The Prodigy to sub to Muse, and Frank Turner playing 3rd, HAIM 4th.

Not ITK BTW.

Why wouldn't they have announced alt-J, The Prodigy or Royal Blood the other week? That day looks weak as fuck as things stand so I doubt they held the sub back through choice. It's gotta be Chance or Skepta imo. Not sure if there's any reason for Frank to have been held back but if there is then it's probably not a bad shout.

17 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Why wouldn't they have announced alt-J, The Prodigy or Royal Blood the other week? That day looks weak as fuck as things stand so I doubt they held the sub back through choice. It's gotta be Chance or Skepta imo. Not sure if there's any reason for Frank to have been held back but if there is then it's probably not a bad shout.

It's pretty odd that they haven't announced the sub for that day in general, but then the line-up came out a bit earlier this year anyway, usually the big one is around March/April.

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Tbf they were NME sub last year (not sure why people keep saying they were 3rd down) but they could easily have headlined the stage imo. Most people would have expected them to headline it rather than sub it before they were announced. May just have been the case that they had too many big acts available so gave them a smaller slot. If they headline NME this year it's fair enough imo.

I think people keep saying they were 3rd down cause that was the same day that there was a 'special performance' from NAS.

58 minutes ago, VCK said:

It's pretty odd that they haven't announced the sub for that day in general, but then the line-up came out a bit earlier this year anyway, usually the big one is around March/April.

Last year at least there this poster that came out 1st of march (only 4 days later than this year):

12819453_10153282495765738_4157327960008

And then there was another one on the 26th of April, so in theory we should get a similar one this year too:

13095895_10153411569800738_3859834325562

20 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I think people keep saying they were 3rd down cause that was the same day that there was a 'special performance' from NAS.

But even after that Nas set got moved up a few slots Haim were still subbing. Nas' special performance was third down.

1 hour ago, VCK said:

Nah this was definitely the big March announcement. It isn't strange that the sub has been held back if it's to help sales at another FR event (Wireless), same as alt-J being held back in 2015 because they were headlining Latitude.

15 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

But even after that Nas set got moved up a few slots Haim were still subbing. Nas' special performance was third down.

Nah this was definitely the big March announcement. It isn't strange that the sub has been held back if it's to help sales at another FR event (Wireless), same as alt-J being held back in 2015 because they were headlining Latitude.

Hmm, maybe so. Thinking about that, the sub on the Muse day probably is being held back due to headlining another festival. It's a case of guessing who.

Also looking at that 2016 announcement, every band in the the top seven on each day of the Main Stage was announced, so I wonder if that's also the case this year.