Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in terms of sales he isn't, not close. ITLH has done 5m worldwide, 21 almost did that in this country alone.

I think the meaning was that if the consensus is that Adele could headline then Sam Smith does a pretty similar style of music and is getting massive so it's not outside the realms of possibility for the future. He's not as popular as Adele yet, of course, but he's very quickly getting there and his debut album has only been around a year; Adele's debut didn't get the numbers his has done in it's first year.

I certainly think one would be a fool to write it off. As I've said, his star has risen to the point where he's subbing major festivals on his debut album (he even played halfway down the Other Stage four weeks after it was released!) and his second one will make a bigger splash as he obviously wasn't a household name when his debut was released. Him having a year off Glasto this year could play into headlining next year but I don't think it'll be out that quickly, thankfully. :lol:

I think the meaning was that if the consensus is that Adele could headline then Sam Smith does a pretty similar style of music and is getting massive so it's not outside the realms of possibility for the future. He's not as popular as Adele yet, of course, but he's very quickly getting there and his debut album has only been around a year; Adele's debut didn't get the numbers his has done in it's first year.

I certainly think one would be a fool to write it off. As I've said, his star has risen to the point where he's subbing major festivals on his debut album (he even played halfway down the Other Stage four weeks after it was released!) and his second one will make a bigger splash as he obviously wasn't a household name when his debut was released. Him having a year off Glasto this year could play into headlining next year but I don't think it'll be out that quickly, thankfully. :lol:

Okay I get ya. Personally I think Sam is a bit of a one trick pony, which is only highlighted when you see him alive (and that's only one of numerous problems with his current live show), and people could/will move on quickly unless the second album is a lot better and more varied. But when you put it like you just did, I guess it's not impossible his ascension could accelerate further still.

Okay I get ya. Personally I think Sam is a bit of a one trick pony, which is only highlighted when you see him alive (and that's only one of numerous problems with his current live show), and people could/will move on quickly unless the second album is a lot better and more varied. But when you put it like you just did, I guess it's not impossible his ascension could accelerate further still.

You speak like his general audience is one that appreciates variation and sees a lot of live music. :P

He's already headlining American festivals.

Nah he will probably release his second album during the fallow year so we could miss it

hopefully 2017 will be a terrible terrible year for new albums, so we manage to avoid the likes of Sheeran, Smith and the rest headlining Glastonbury for a few years at least*

*fingers crossed they release the albums in the first half of the year or there could still be a horrible chance

Heard Coldplay for 2016

Their last live performance as a band before splitting.

It's been in place for a while, possibly why Neil believed they were headling this year? Info he had was right but just a year out.

Someone I know mentioned this a while back, took it with a pinch of salt. Remember chatting on here about it, just at that point wild speculation and guess work. Since then had it from someone close to the band from waaaay back when they used to make their albums up here in Liverpool

Edited by Mud Dweller

Heard Coldplay for 2016

Their last live performance as a band before splitting.

It's been in place for a while, possibly why Neil believed they were headling this year? Info he had was right but just a year out.

whilst i'm not saying it won't be them, because they're a very realistic possibility, i think this whole 'last album before splitting' thing has been taken out of context and i don't think they'll be splitting up any time soon

Aye he was much better when I saw him dead.

Born this way wasn't her peak, but it sold nearly a million copies in the UK and 2,3 million in the U.S.... not all just her manic Little Monsters. Artpop sold 200k in the UK and 750k in the U.S. That is a flop.

Although Yeezus only sold 700k world wide I think, so take from that what you will.

Yeezus was obviously a very different album from stuff like Artpop - it was very much a deliberately divisive and controversial album, while Artpop was the same accessible stuff she'd always been putting out.

• 2 weeks later...

Biffy, Foos and Coldplay are all reasonable shouts on their own but that seems like a very lousy set. Surely Glastonbury would go for a bit more variety?

Well I did have Biffy/Coldplay/Rihanna but had to get rid of one for Foos. Actually I could see it being Biffy missing out, and headlining Download instead.

Biffy Clyro

Kendrick Lamar

Bon Iver

Foo Fighters

Royal Blood

Disclosure

Coldplay

Emeli Sande

The National

You might not be far off. I think you'll be right with two of the main headers, two of the Other headers if not all of them. I'm not so sure you'll be right with the subs though but I do think Royal Blood will probably get a 3rd placing.