One act you want there more than anybody

Sketchead

Why does Taylor Swift have such a large ironic hipster following? Why her over other trash pop acts?

It’s not ironic and I don’t consider her ‘trash pop’, whatever that is. She’s pretty talented. She’s my favourite current major pop act because I like her songs the most. I’d guess people might also like her because she seems more relatable and down to earth than a lot of pop stars. But mainly the songs, like Shake It Off, which is sensational. I also really like Beyonce, quite like Rihanna, and am too partial to some Katy Perry songs, to a lesser extent.

Its not ironic and I dont consider her trash pop, whatever that is. Shes pretty talented. Shes my favourite current major pop act because I like her songs the most. Id guess people might also like her because she seems more relatable and down to earth than a lot of pop stars. But mainly the songs, like Shake It Off, which is sensational. I also really like Beyonce, quite like Rihanna, and am too partial to some Katy Perry songs, to a lesser extent.

Well it's not localised to you, she has a huge following amongst DiS and /mu/ music boffins. I just find it mad because her songs that I've heard are trash, including that Shake It Off thing. You're allowed to like whatever pop music you like but it's just a weird phenomenon.

Edited by dentalplan

Yeah, I know, I’m not even a fan in comparison, really, but I’m glad she does have that kind following as I’d have never bothered to listen to her otherwise. I just imagine my reasons for liking her are the same for a lot of people. I don’t see why it should be seen as ironic. I don’t think fans of Muse or Foo Fighters are being ironic just because I don’t like their music, but they have no more credibility to me than Taylor Swift.

I wouldn’t know about that, the term seems pretty obsolete to me. There's a patronising (not meaning to have a pop at anyone in particular, I can *kind of* see where you’re coming from) assumption that because she’s a pop star who stereotypically fits a certain demographic, there must be some kind of ulterior motive for people liking her as well as ‘credible artists'.

Edited by bocumaroy

Well it's not localised to you, she has a huge following amongst DiS and /mu/ music boffins. I just find it mad because her songs that I've heard are trash, including that Shake It Off thing. You're allowed to like whatever pop music you like but it's just a weird phenomenon.

I just listened to that for the first time out of curiosity now. I lasted about a minute and a half. It just annoyed me, and I really don't get it.

If that's what people are into though, then live and let live

I like Taylor Swift's attitude, music is pretty hit and miss. Mostly like her though because my girlfriend can't stand her.

Pretty much the first part of that, although I do now feel obliged to listen to her albums, and I genuinely love the new single. In answer to dentalplan’s original question, her likeable character might contribute a bit to her popularity in more ‘indie’ circles, or whatever, in comparison to other big pop stars. But even that seems a bit dated, and I think those boundaries barely exist now. It’s not that different to the relationship between ‘alternative’ scenes and all the big hits. See Nicki Minaj.

David Bowie

R.E.M.

and LCD Soundsystem

+1

If R.E.M. did reform would they be realistic headliners? Obviously they’re big enough in terms of history, but their reputation was (unfairly, in my opinion) tarnished in the last decade, and they seem to be very ‘uncool’ these days. Plus they’ve done it (twice?) before. Not that it would happen, I guess. The way they ended seemed perfectly understated.

LCD, though, I do expect to be back one day. Give it a few years.

I would love Taylor Swift as a late afternoon, lets get the drinks in for the headliner, kind of act!

Stop trolling!

It’s not ironic and I don’t consider her ‘trash pop’, whatever that is. She’s pretty talented. She’s my favourite current major pop act because I like her songs the most. I’d guess people might also like her because she seems more relatable and down to earth than a lot of pop stars. But mainly the songs, like Shake It Off, which is sensational. I also really like Beyonce, quite like Rihanna, and am too partial to some Katy Perry songs, to a lesser extent.

This disappoints me, with you being a massive Arcade Fire fan :P.

I don't get the Taylor Swift love in either, shes just like all other "pop" acts really. Plus her video wasn't as good as Beyonce's according to King Kanye.

I can't really see LCD getting back together. James is pretty clear that it's over isn't he? I thought the last goodbye was his final gift from the band. I would love it, they are/were one of my favourite bands but I never expect them to return as they were.

I can't really see LCD getting back together. James is pretty clear that it's over isn't he? I thought the last goodbye was his final gift from the band. I would love it, they are/were one of my favourite bands but I never expect them to return as they were.

He has been pretty emphatic, but it would be strange not to be just a couple of years after disbanding. You’re probably right, but it’s just something I can envisage happening in the future. Not as they were, but it was always mainly James Murphy’s thing, anyway. Strangely, it’s not something I’d really have a lot of interest in. Or R.E.M., either, so I withdraw my +1 from admscott’s suggestions.

I just listened to that for the first time out of curiosity now. I lasted about a minute and a half. It just annoyed me, and I really don't get it.

If that's what people are into though, then live and let live

I listened to it out of curiosity too, took me 45 seconds to get bored and turn it off

most of my "would loves" are pretty unrealistic. LCD being at the top i think. Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk etc will never happen but i'd love.

Even my nice-to-sees are unlikely, but possible. Hot Chip (possible but they aren't very current), Royksopp is a good shout and would like to see them again, but same problem. I reckon London Grammar might have a main stage slot this year. Would love it if deltron came back.

For me the problem is a lack of good, current music. A problem thats been lingering since 2013. Or is this just me getting old?

I thought a lot of the T.Swift 'hipster' love came from the 'mainstream' pop fans rejecting her because of all the boyfriend crap? Dunno.

Anyway, I think she's great. Then again I enjoy Beyonce, Rhianna and Katy Perry too. Think they do pop music well.

There's Taylor Swift hipster love because NME journalists tweet about listening to her in the office most days. So the rest follow suit.

There's Taylor Swift hipster love because NME journalists tweet about listening to her in the office most days. So the rest follow suit.

That’s that then. Mystery solved.

Her new single is out. I’m not so sure about this one, the verses in particular. More reaction to follow.

Edited by bocumaroy