Will They Show The Football?

Gnomicide

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

If it comes to it I will just watch it in one of the bars or on my phone (if it works)

I'm out in Germany for a week just before I go to Glastonbury, got 6 games in 7 days including England v Serbia, but I can understand why they have chosen this stance.

In 1998 England's group game v Colombia was shown and that meant a very low crowd for the Foo Fighters, similarly in my time of going in 2004 the Q Final v Portugal and in 2010 the final group stage game v Slovenia were both shown which didn't clash with music as they were on Thurs and Weds respectively.

Then the 2010 disaster v Germany was shown on the Sunday afternoon and that pulled big crowds of people away from Ray Davies and Slash, and in turn meant large areas of the site had to be kept clear to accom the football.

I'm sure if the games were on the Weds or Thurs they would show it, but I can see why they won't do it during 'prime' festival time.

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

If it comes to it I will just watch it in one of the bars or on my phone (if it works)

I'm out in Germany for a week just before I go to Glastonbury, got 6 games in 7 days including England v Serbia, but I can understand why they have chosen this stance.

In 1998 England's group game v Colombia was shown and that meant a very low crowd for the Foo Fighters, similarly in my time of going in 2004 the Q Final v Portugal and in 2010 the final group stage game v Slovenia were both shown which didn't clash with music as they were on Thurs and Weds respectively.

Then the 2010 disaster v Germany was shown on the Sunday afternoon and that pulled big crowds of people away from Ray Davies and Slash, and in turn meant large areas of the site had to be kept clear to accom the football.

I'm sure if the games were on the Weds or Thurs they would show it, but I can see why they won't do it during 'prime' festival time.

Please don’t remind me of 2010!!! Thankfully my wife is a counsellor and I’m still speaking to her about my stupidity of watching it instead of Ray Davies 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Surely if you're not interested in the football, showing it somewhere is a good thing for you as it makes the site less busy elsewhere.

I am interested in football. It's a distraction I could do without at Glastonbury though. Pre smartphone era I can see why they would show games but anyone who wants to watch it can do so now and a contemporary performing arts festival shouldn't be having to cater for football fans.

• Upvote 2

Football is of the outside world, and as such i dont want anything to do with it at glastonbury until i'm back out in the world of carpets, sofas and televisions. 

this is in no way attached to the fact that Ireland are particularly crap at the moment and wont be bothering tournaments for a good few years yet

( well, ok, maybe it is )

Edited by balti-pie

8 minutes ago, incident said:

As expected, and consistent with the approach they've taken since 2010. Won't stop people moaning though.

Didnt they show the women's games a few years ago? 

11 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

Please don’t remind me of 2010!!! Thankfully my wife is a counsellor and I’m still speaking to her about my stupidity of watching it instead of Ray Davies 

I have the same regret.  Got dragged to the footy as I was the only one in the group who couldn't be arsed (We're at a music festival FFS!).  Wish I'd have just stayed behind solo for Ray. (kicks self)

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Football seems to be a more popular topic than the common lineup 😂

I could name more European teams than I could acts on The Common 😁

25 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Didnt they show the women's games a few years ago? 

That was on the Thursday. They've not shown any on Friday to Sunday since 2010. The festival attendance has increased significantly since then and the field they used for the Sunday England v Germany game is now (I think) camping.

Just now, Gnomicide said:

That was on the Thursday. They've not shown any on Friday to Sunday since 2010. The festival attendance has increased significantly since then and the field they used for the Sunday England v Germany game is now (I think) camping.

They used two fields in 2010, one of which is now (I think) Dairy Ground and the one I went to which is now part of Campervan East.

Huge football fan. Never watched a game (or any other sporting event) at Glastonbury in all my times there. 

I get that lots of people want to but for me I only get 5 days a year (if I'm lucky) at the festival. Definitely something else to see on site 

I am a huge football fan, but it’s utterly mad that people would waste two hours of time at Glastonbury watching football. I’ll check the score if England are playing but not really that arsed whilst I’m there really! 

Correct decision to not show it. 

Edited by ModernMan

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Good, it’s usually a bit of a nightmare for me watching Scotland at a major championship😉😉😊😊

1998 would have been the last one! 😄