Glasto is great and I've paid my balance!

kalifire

Not saying for one minute I don’t believe Emily or that she is lying, but her statement certainly just pours over all the negative comments re the lineup - which there is no denying there have been this year.

So even if her statement isn’t true, it is a very tactical and well placed one. 

Edited by st dan
  • Upvote 2

Just now, st dan said:

Not saying for one minute I don’t believe Emily or that she is lying, but her statement certainly just pours over all the negative comments re the lineup - which there is nk denying there have been this year.
So even if her statement isn’t true, it is a very tactical and well placed one. 

it’s great marketing anyway and it’s not like anyone is ever going to know if it is or not.

I also don’t think the lineup has made way more people than normal put their tickets back it will just be the same as normal so actually maybe it is true but it’s always about the same number 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Glastobation did an interesting poll on Twitter.

Rather than just asking are you still going, he asked how many from your group had paid up (x out of x) and then added them all up.

Around 9% were back in the pot. Difficult to quantify as the people responding are at the point where they follow a Glastonbury specific account but it is probably as good as you can get without access to the actual data.

There is way more that 138k tickets sold mind you. If there wasn't, you would be able to move come Saturday lol.

1 minute ago, Barneym said:

it’s great marketing anyway and it’s not like anyone is ever going to know if it is or not.

I also don’t think the lineup has made way more people than normal put their tickets back it will just be the same as normal so actually maybe it is true but it’s always about the same number 

Yeah.

Most people (me being one of them this year) are going to pay the balance even if they think the lineup is poor. What kind of tortured soul would give up a Glastonbury ticket without a better reason than "I don't like Coldplay"?

I'm sure the statement is truthful - but I doubt that it's by any significant margin, or miles outside the normal variation.

Just now, northernangel said:

There is way more that 138k tickets sold mind you. If there wasn't, you would be able to move come Saturday lol.

Not weekend ones that are available in the ticket sales.

384703558_Screenshot_20230111_184823_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.e85b0924486af1c42c0ca95714ed5e26.jpg

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

384703558_Screenshot_20230111_184823_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.e85b0924486af1c42c0ca95714ed5e26.jpg

The fact that Hospitality comes out of the Staff, Crew and Artists allocation should always be included as a huge caveat to those numbers though.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not accusing her of lying, but I am surprised. Coupled with the 'in the bones' vibe that a wet one's a-coming.

SZA's a bigger draw than everyone thought...

Was thinking that over the weekend, feels like it might be a wet one this year for sure. WHEN WILL IT STOP RAINING!

5 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

That seems odd.  I didn't see or feel a noticeable increase from 2013 to 2014 and beyond, but 2022 was obviously a lot busier crowds-wise than previous years.  A jump of 7,000 wouldn't account for that surely?

4 minutes ago, incident said:

What kind of tortured soul would give up a Glastonbury ticket without a better reason than "I don't like Coldplay"?

I'm sure the statement is truthful - but I doubt that it's by any significant margin, or miles outside the normal variation.

Abso-blooming-lutely.  Sometimes it's easy to confuse the comments with the mithering "it was better in my day" whingeing on FB comments.

Her comment would seem to back up the poll, returns aren't higher than normal, nothing to see here etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

That seems odd.  I didn't see or feel a noticeable increase from 2013 to 2014 and beyond, but 2022 was obviously a lot busier crowds-wise than previous years.  A jump of 7,000 wouldn't account for that surely?

Anecdotally, 2022 seems to have been quite bad for unauthorised entry.

Just now, 4AssedMonkey said:

The 2013 to 2014 increase was largely about juggling numbers rather than intended to be significantly more people on site.

Specifically - until that point it was fairly common for areas to reuse wristbands, so an artist would finish their set and have to leave site immediately so that someone else could take their spot. The increase was intended to make it so that 1 person = 1 wristband across the weekend. I believe there was also some form of amnesty on crews sneaking people in off the books - though not sure how successful it was, I know it's something that still happens.

9 minutes ago, northernangel said:

So the doubles staff and crew for 3k extra people is the reason why at times the festival is way over rammed? Where is this from?

It was in the planning permission application from a few years back when they were moving from having to renew the application every few years.

Reading a few of the replies to Emily’s post, it’s a bit sad to see some folk would rather cast doubt on the actual organiser of the festival telling the truth, than feel that their perception of the line up announcement is being challenged.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2024 at 10:45 PM, northernangel said:

Paid but Jesus parking at £55 is steep!

But the farmer who owns your car park field is very happy and won’t make any noise complaints! Thank you from all of us! 😀

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Reading a few of the replies to Emily’s post, it’s a bit sad to see some folk would rather cast doubt on the actual organiser of the festival telling the truth, than feel that their perception of the line up announcement is being challenged.

basically calling her a liar! Maybe they’ll realise they were being dicks after they fail in the 5 minute resale! 

27 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Was thinking that over the weekend, feels like it might be a wet one this year for sure. WHEN WILL IT STOP RAINING!

Think it might even out actually. I'm a doom-monger usually (vet of 97/05/07/16).

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I can understand being cynical over it, but I reckon it's kosher. Otherwise why even bring it up?

I guess it’s because she’s never posted something like this before, as far as people are aware? And assuming the record for biggest take up before this must have been at some point in the last 10 years - and most likely in the last couple of years.

So it does seem a conscious decision to choose to mention it now and never before, against the backdrop of the lineup being the most negatively received in recent times.
That, and everybody loves a conspiracy these days for every single event that happens. 

Edited by st dan

On 4/4/2024 at 10:45 PM, northernangel said:

Paid but Jesus parking at £55 is steep!

it is, but 

a) i imagine it's one of the ways of encouraging more people onto public transport
b) driving including petrol cheaper than coach from pretty much everywhere if you're sharing with at least 1 other person

of course the cheapest option would be make your own way via megabuses/shuttle from castle cary or whatever but....effort and that

No one seems to believe it but I would say most groups I've encountered are barely putting tickets back in the pot. Seems to be seconded by what I've seen on here, twitter, discord etc. Its an event that is getting harder to attend every year so its not surprising that so few are spooked by the line up, even if its let them down.