AIR... where are they?!

spencer1981

4 hours ago, henry bear said:

Every year lots of acts tour around Glastonbury time that don’t do the festival, including some that seem like an obvious choice. 

It’s almost like Glastonbury don’t have an infinite budget and some acts won’t budge on their appearance fees. 

Not every act thinks the festival is as important as we do! 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, gigpusher said:

It’s almost like Glastonbury don’t have an infinite budget and some acts won’t budge on their appearance fees. 

Not every act thinks the festival is as important as we do! 

maybe glasto  only found out they were touring on the same day that you did?!!¬

On 3/31/2024 at 2:34 PM, Neil said:

i saw them at a festival about 20 years ago, they were fabulous. 🙂 

Oh bugger. 

After watching Roger Waters my son and I took the decision to stay and watch Rod Stewart rather than move to Air. 

BIG BIG MISTAKE. ETERNALLY REGRETTED 

1 hour ago, airwaves said:

Oh bugger. 

After watching Roger Waters my son and I took the decision to stay and watch Rod Stewart rather than move to Air. 

BIG BIG MISTAKE. ETERNALLY REGRETTED 

Wasn't Glastonbury I saw them at. I saw rod Stewart too.

On 3/31/2024 at 11:59 PM, gigpusher said:

It is by far the most tedious bit of Glastonbury #discourse every time the line-up comes out. 

"WHY ISN'T *insert name of artist* PLAYING?!!??" like Glastonbury have the ability to book any artist touring the UK in late June and early July. There's a bit of an 'X artist has a new album out, therefore they're a lock for Glastonbury' mentality pre-announcement, which is understandable. But then it's weird to me when people complain that said artist isn't playing. It's hardly enough to lock someone into a Glasto slot.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

It is by far the most tedious bit of Glastonbury #discourse every time the line-up comes out. 

"WHY ISN'T *insert name of artist* PLAYING?!!??" like Glastonbury have the ability to book any artist touring the UK in late June and early July. There's a bit of an 'X artist has a new album out, therefore they're a lock for Glastonbury' mentality pre-announcement, which is understandable. But then it's weird to me when people complain that said artist isn't playing. It's hardly enough to lock someone into a Glasto slot.

30 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I find the need to temper people's honest disappointment even more tedious.

I don't mind anyone being disappointed but it's more the accusations that they've dropped the ball/not even tried when I imagine (all the time) but particularly at the moment they have lots of acts who simply are not willing to do it at a reduced rate. I know people think that they wouldn't be expensive because they are not a huge name but there are plenty of not huge names currently selling tickets for eye watering prices.

All valid comments - Yes, we have high expectations every year.  Yes, we underestimate the festival's appeal to artists.  Yes, we forget that Glasto's purse strings are tighter than most commercial festivals.  Yes, they can't book everyone who is active every June.

HOWEVER.

The fact that they haven't secured Chaka Khan's signature this year is a travesty of epic proportions.  She's touring, over here, is a global legend who is unlikely to do it again, has GSH like the Grand Canyon, black, female, has a back catalogue of tunes you would not believe.  On the dartboard of who should be at Glasto 2024, she is the bullseye.  If they pulled out the stops and she wouldn't sign then fair enough, but I'm gutted.

On 3/31/2024 at 2:16 PM, spencer1981 said:

Surely AIR will be added? 

Their latest live show sounds amazing and already playing Piece Hall in Halifax around Glastonbury time.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/mar/25/air-review-a-wild-jawdropping-widescreen-extravaganza

'Where are they?' Is a very good question 

Serious oversight from Glastonbury booking this year leading to a bleak and bland line up. AIR, Massive Attack - so many others touring that just aren't on the line up and would've been in years gone by.

4 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I don't mind anyone being disappointed but it's more the accusations that they've dropped the ball/not even tried when I imagine (all the time) but particularly at the moment they have lots of acts who simply are not willing to do it at a reduced rate. I know people think that they wouldn't be expensive because they are not a huge name but there are plenty of not huge names currently selling tickets for eye watering prices.

This is it, really. 

I'm disappointed that certain acts haven't made it. I'd have quite liked to have seen Air on the line-up. But it doesn't make the line-up bad or anything (I've seen this in a fair few instances, not specifically in this thread).

I don't think it's necessarily fair to critique the festival because a certain artist hasn't been booked. There are a tonne of factors involved and ultimately no one outside of a very select few really has the full picture of what's going on behind-the-scenes.

On 4/1/2024 at 3:23 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Air can't be charging that much. They're one album wonder Gen X shagging music, not Bruce f**king Springsteen.

Brilliant 😂 but entirely accurate. 

19 hours ago, Barkwin said:

'Where are they?' Is a very good question 

Serious oversight from Glastonbury booking this year leading to a bleak and bland line up. AIR, Massive Attack - so many others touring that just aren't on the line up and would've been in years gone by.

I guess they are both examples of acts that would be willing to do the festival if they were offered an appropriate slot. However I would suggest that they aren’t going to do it for a fraction of their usual fee in a slot they view as too small. 

The Glastonbury seemed to have moved on and those acts that appeal most to 35-50 year olds don’t appear to be a priority. Probably the right thing to do for the festival’s longevity but rather brave when you look at the demographics of the punters. This is why I suspect that one of  Avalon, Glade or West Holts will be the first to be announced; possibly while the balance window is open if numbers are looking a bit low….