Wednesday & Thursday 24

Bike_Like_A_Mum

Saw the programming/crowding being discussed, thought it needed it's own topic and couldn't find one to dig out... What do you think should be going down on those days?

Clearly I'm in the minority because I loved the atmosphere on those days across the site over the last couple of years! Didn't think it was that bad at all. My favourite days of the festival tbh. 

Just saw someone suggest it just needs to be shut on Wednesday! Nooooooooooo don't take my greenfields day! 🤣

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum
  • Upvote 5

I think it just needs more sensible booking, with no one too famous on (but yeah, that's probably an old fuddy duddy thing to say). Personally, I like the green futures areas on these days. Loads of random unknown acts playing. 

I love the 2 days before the madness starts. What needs to happen, to help a little on the Thursday, is bring back the silent disco. There is not enough going on to spread the crowd over the site. Last 2 years have been horrendous with overcrowding.

19 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Saw the programming/crowding being discussed, thought it needed it's own topic and couldn't find one to dig out... What do you think should be going down on those days?

Clearly I'm in the minority because I loved the atmosphere on those days across the site over the last couple of years! Didn't think it was that bad at all. My favourite days of the festival tbh. 

Just saw someone suggest it just needs to be shut on Wednesday! Nooooooooooo don't take my greenfields day! 🤣

It's a hard balance to strike. Wednesdays and Thursdays are great for getting in and adjusting before everything kicks off properly. Sometimes it can take me 12-24hrs to slow down due to the excitement, normally having worked right up until Tuesday, then the mad rush of having to pack, get organized and travelling from Ireland. I love traditionally heading straight to the park after my first cider immediately upon getting pitched and then milling around, refamiliarising myself with the site and any changes etc. on Thursday. Sometimes I do want there to be a bit more on those nights in fairness and the prospect of crazy crowds for some of the stuff that is on doesn't inspire me.

I absolutely love that slightly daunting feeling of excitement waking up on Friday morning in the tent after 2 days of drinking and generally having a great time and realizing it hasn't even really started yet. 

If everything kicked off for real on Thursday rather than Friday and there were 4 full days across all stages I think it might be too much for me. As much as I am resigned to having to go home the next day come Sunday, I am nearly always ready for it when it comes. 

Closing the site on Wednesday and just opening on Thursday is the worst idea of the lot.

33 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Just saw someone suggest it just needs to be shut on Wednesday

Shutting Wednesday would be madness. That means everyone trying to arrive Thursday so would be complete grid lock. These early days help to ease traffic. 

Theres a potential but controversial solution. Do early bird tickets for non coach arrivals. This could be done by vastly increasing the car parking ticket if you want to arrive on Wednesday with only limited numbers available bought at time of balance payment. 

It would ease the strain to spread the load on Wednesday so not as many people on site initially. 

People already taking the green option by using coach or won’t be hit by additional costs so this will encourage more people to be environmentally conscious and also bring in some more income for the festival. 

I love the Wednesday and Thursday, more relaxed and combined with all the anticipation. If the weather is fine I’ll spend some time at the Croissant Neuf Bandstand, Greenpeace and Green Futures - have a tea in the Small World - and up to Strummerville for a beer.

Do nothing often the best days and I agree with the earlier post just don’t book anything big then you don’t have an issue.

The Thursday is nearly always my favourite day no stress of arrival and getting set up, get up slowly wander and start drinking then dance the night away until 3 am somewhere 

move never really has an issue with overcrowding tho but probably because I’d just walk away, remember trying to go to see the Smiths tribute at WG once and gave up long before I got close to the tent as just wasn’t worth it, I’d love to see Faithless but it won’t be fun for me if it’s that busy so I won’t go and will sit drinking somewhere else with some dj or something on and still have a wonderful time 

Weds and Thurs are a huge chunk of what makes GF special.

The should never be changed and Thursday really should just stay as it has been and I am quite happy if they just book grass roots bands to play on both days with no 'big' names.

3 days of all go is more than enough and if it is cut to 4 days or Thursday becomes just another day then it will change the entire festival.

If it ain't broke, don't mend it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Don’t worry it was only one lone madman I think. 

I love those 2 days too, just easing into the big party 👍

As others have (effectively) said. Nothing much needs to change on Weds/Thurs.

Just that the Festival (or more accurately, the individual areas given that the likes of The Glade are not centrally run) need to be smart enough to avoid putting on name-value acts. And that people generally should probably learn that they'd get more out of it if they bimbled around randomly rather than going chasing after stuff they already knew.

6 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

We absolutely love Wednesday and Thursday, assess any changes, just wander about, do the shops and green fields. A quiet sit up at the stone circle, meet up with a few folk, check out the food stalls. And a walk up to the sign when it gets dark to marvel at the site. There’s always a bit of music somewhere, the Avalon cafe used to be a place we went to. 

Love the 1st 2 days. Wednesday is exploring, I think a part of glade was open, and meeting up with others at the cider bus early evening, then attempting to find somewhere to watch the fireworks (although that did not happen this year 🍺)

Thursday was spent around the SE corner - last year for sports bangers and Mike skinner then more exploring. 

Gives me butterflies thinking about arriving and getting set up then going for a wander. There must be some innovative ways to change it up a little bit though. The notting hill carnival was a great idea, but I think that could be bigger and better....like a Disney parade through the whole site for an opening ceremony lol. All the different areas having a little float...

Finding all the good food is also an important part of Weds and Thurs am I right?! 🤣

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Gives me butterflies thinking about arriving and getting set up then going for a wander. There must be some innovative ways to change it up a little bit though. The notting hill carnival was a great idea, but I think that could be bigger and better....like a Disney parade through the whole site for an opening ceremony lol. All the different areas having a little float...

Finding all the good food is also an important part of Weds and Thurs am I right?! 🤣

Where were the best food spots you found last year?

Edited by Kaboom Boxer

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Where were the best food spots you found last year?

Everywhere!! Haha

On the music days you just have to go with what's near the acts you wanna see don't you.... so I'd be lying if I didn't say the main thing my eyes are clocking everywhere on the first two days, is the food traders lol. Don't know how people just eat burgers or chips all weekend! I'm making sure I know where the good stuff is nearby at all times

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Weds and Thurs are a huge chunk of what makes GF special.

The should never be changed and Thursday really should just stay as it has been and I am quite happy if they just book grass roots bands to play on both days with no 'big' names.

3 days of all go is more than enough and if it is cut to 4 days or Thursday becomes just another day then it will change the entire festival.

If it ain't broke, don't mend it.

This!

• Like 1

Idk, I was saying this in reddit - last year Thursday was bearable was 2019 - I even remember no issues watching The Orb at The Glade. Last year it was unbearable everywhere, massive crowds in Silver Hayes, Park, up, down, SE corner... I ended up in one of the Shangri La enclosed places but every time I needed to go to the loo or to have a drink it was hell. 

"Change nothing", really?

I love the first two days.. it’s all stretching out in front of you and there’s the excitement of reacquainting yourself with the site and seeing what’s new.  By the time Friday rolls round I’m already feeling like times slipping away 🙃 I would repeat Wednesday and Thursday a few times before Friday hits ideally! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

hello!

I think that was very probably me you were referring to...

believe me, I dont REALLY want to lose a day on the farm.

I was just trying to make the point, rather badly probably, that Glastonbury used to be sold as a 3 day festival that just happened to be open for 5 days.

there was nothing going on for the first two days, and nobody expected anything to be going on and the site filled up gradually over a few days.

these days the site is at capacity by about 9.30am on Wednesday so I was just saying that in that sense it has completely and totally changed and its now expected to be a 5 day festival and perhaps a rethink is needed.

outside of actually making it a five day festival, I have no idea of a solution.

trust me - I love being in those fields as much as anyone.

45 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Everywhere!! Haha

On the music days you just have to go with what's near the acts you wanna see don't you.... so I'd be lying if I didn't say the main thing my eyes are clocking everywhere on the first two days, is the food traders lol. Don't know how people just eat burgers or chips all weekend! I'm making sure I know where the good stuff is nearby at all times

This!! 

I do always start my Thursday with a Mezze up at the park though. Walk up the hill a bit and just sit and eat some nice healthy food before it all goes wrong 😂