Weather v Line up

kpins

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

not much kit can deal with the energy sapping gluey mud though . It’s ok in its liquid phase but a bit later in certain parts of site it’s a massive challenge 

With the hat designs evolving, it can't be too long before you're able to incorporate rotor blades and fly around the site? 

17 hours ago, Superscally said:

That was the last year that you could get shrooms on the cheeky cheeky in the curio shops too. I remember staring at a puddle in hysterics as a group of people in tuxedos and wedding dresses filed past....was probably there for 2 minutes, but felt like a week.

Yeah, those were great times before that loophole got closed. First time I did mushrooms was a box bought from a head shop stall at Download 2003. I sat on the grass in the sun and watched Iggy Pop instigate a stage invasion, I wasn't ever sure if it had really happened or not until he did the same thing at Glastonbury a few years later.

17 hours ago, Simsy said:

The 1 benefit 2007 had over 2016 was the wed and thur were dry so you could sit & chill.

Are you sure? The way I remember it is it started raining as our coach entered Somerset and was pissing it down by the time we got to the site, and then didn't really stop raining right through to the Monday morning.

12 minutes ago, dirtysteve said:

Yeah, those were great times before that loophole got closed. First time I did mushrooms was a box bought from a head shop stall at Download 2003. I sat on the grass in the sun and watched Iggy Pop instigate a stage invasion, I wasn't ever sure if it had really happened or not until he did the same thing at Glastonbury a few years later.

Are you sure? The way I remember it is it started raining as our coach entered Somerset and was pissing it down by the time we got to the site, and then didn't really stop raining right through to the Monday morning.

2007 was unrelentingly wet but worse than that it was cold as well. I did get married that year though in a big dress, Mr Giantkatestacks in a tuxedo.

17 minutes ago, dirtysteve said:

Your coach must have been on the Thursday then.

The Wednesday in 2007 was fantastic. Perfect festival weather, and dry ground.

Then on the Thursday morning it started, as you described, and barely stopped all weekend.

10 minutes ago, dirtysteve said:

I don't blame you for doubting me because I generally have a terrible memory! Most years at glasto I've just been with my OH, sometimes with 1-2 friends, but there were 7 of us in '07 which makes it easier for me to differentiate that year.

There might've been some rain on the wed/thur but I don't think it was problematic until the fri.

This was the cinema field on the Thurs night, and people are sat on the floor. My friends wanted to see Ghostbusters, and when I pointed out it was followed by Blues Brothers they had no idea what I was talking about. Philistines 😂

Screenshot_20240317-114928.thumb.png.f7056cf198d73ad759a04a04bd6440ad.png

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, incident said:

Your coach must have been on the Thursday then.

The Wednesday in 2007 was fantastic. Perfect festival weather, and dry ground.

Then on the Thursday morning it started, as you described, and barely stopped all weekend.

Nah, we came on the Wednesday, coach got to the site by around 11am and it was pissing it hard, I vividly remember me and my girlfriend looking out of the coach window as the heavens opened and talking about how we hoped it would blow over quickly. It was definitely the Wednesday, I have only ever gone to the festival on the Wednesday. And I'm not confusing it with another year as 2007 was the only year I've taken a coach.

Edited by dirtysteve
Clarity

15 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I don't blame you for doubting me because I generally have a terrible memory! Most years at glasto I've just been with my OH, sometimes with 1-2 friends, but there were 7 of us in '07 which makes it easier for me to differentiate that year.

There might've been some rain on the wed/thur but I don't think it was problematic until the fri.

This was the cinema field on the Thurs night, and people are sat on the floor. My friends wanted to see Ghostbusters, and when I pointed out it was followed by Blues Brothers they had no idea what I was talking about. Philistines 😂

Screenshot_20240317-114928.thumb.png.f7056cf198d73ad759a04a04bd6440ad.png

Fair enough! It definitely rained as we were coming in, and I have always remembered it as being more or less unrelenting from then on, but maybe the first day or so was merely damp and then the rest of the festival was horrific and that has curdled in my memory. Like I said in my post upthread, I was plenty full of drugs that year... Either way, 2007 was absolutely bloody horrible. 

Weather far and way the most important factor. A sunny afternoon with friends and I couldn't give a f**k what's playing. Could be a band I absolutely love playing 200m away, someone I've been looking forward to for months, a tantalising prospect ever since the poster dropped, but cold pints and laughter and I'll stick around.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

2007 was unrelentingly wet but worse than that it was cold as well. I did get married that year though in a big dress, Mr Giantkatestacks in a tuxedo.

No way! You might have traipsed past me while I was tripping balls looking at that puddle. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

Weather far and way the most important factor. A sunny afternoon with friends and I couldn't give a f**k what's playing. Could be a band I absolutely love playing 200m away, someone I've been looking forward to for months, a tantalising prospect ever since the poster dropped, but cold pints and laughter and I'll stick around.

I remember thoroughly enjoying The Feeling at IOW due to that perfect combo of pints, laughter and sitting off in a field...

2016 way worse for than 2007 for me. I was 9 years older and didn't have the stamina, youthful exuberance and drugs to see me through in the same way. It seemed manageable in 2007, but 2016 was just brutal.

43 minutes ago, Mardy said:

2016 way worse for than 2007 for me. I was 9 years older and didn't have the stamina, youthful exuberance and drugs to see me through in the same way. It seemed manageable in 2007, but 2016 was just brutal.

Other than it being absolute murder getting onto the site on the Wednesday morning (9 hours in a traffic jam I think it was!!!) and James opening the Other Stage being delayed due to conditions, I don't remember anything else about the weather in 2016. So, on that basis, I'm concluding it wasn't that bad... 😛 I do have a jam jar filled with mud from 2016 that I scraped off my kid's buggy for a memento when we got home, though.

22 hours ago, dirtysteve said:

Nah, we came on the Wednesday, coach got to the site by around 11am and it was pissing it hard, I vividly remember me and my girlfriend looking out of the coach window as the heavens opened and talking about how we hoped it would blow over quickly. It was definitely the Wednesday, I have only ever gone to the festival on the Wednesday. And I'm not confusing it with another year as 2007 was the only year I've taken a coach.

Absolutely not,  it was raking hot on the Wednesday with no rain....... Thursday PM it started raining and pretty much didn't stop all weekend after that. 

20 hours ago, Mardy said:

Pfft 2016 was a laugh a minute compared to the abject misery of 2007. 

2007 just had so many unrelenting hours of cold rain, whereas 2016 had lots of mud but plenty of times the rain stopped. 

2007 is the only year I went home early, as the Sunday arrived, I was still wet and it was clear it was gonna be another 24 hours of rain. 

Less wet, but funnier (if you weren't affected), was 1985.  Folks had only seen decent weather, so often just came in denim or leather jackets and trainers or at best DMs.  Nobody wore walking boots or wellies, not everyone had changes of clothes and some didn't have tents - they'd plan to kip outdoors, in the cinema tent, car or whatever. Plastic bags wrapped around a trainer don't have a lot of grip. 

37 minutes ago, gfa said:

The lineup is always good

Exactly on the basis that the line up can never be that bad when you can choose so few from so many you'll always opt for good weather. What good weather means is of course different to every person.

Take the good weather every time - the music is a nice side bonus for me for what is a holiday with my mates away from the daily stresses. Good weather makes it much better (I'm ok with rain but sun much better!) - Lineup could be anything and I wouldn't care either way

My first Glasto was 2005 with the biblical thunderstorm early hours of Friday. That was nothing compared to the 2007 washout. 2016 wouldn't have been too bad apart from getting groin strain traipsing through mud on the way in. Also a pain not being able to sit down.Have to say though the last few have been scorching and made it a bit hard work, my other half got sunstroke in 2019. Thankfully I had borrowed a fresh and black tent last year which made morning naps a lot easier. Still would rather have it boiling hot than a wet one. I'm more often than not dancing about to DJ's with a few bands thrown in so line up is definitely not as important as a dry year

33 minutes ago, Helsbels said:

2016 wouldn't have been too bad apart from getting groin strain traipsing through mud on the way in. Also a pain not being able to sit down.

Ouch, that would certainly make it less fun. 

46 minutes ago, Helsbels said:

My first Glasto was 2005 with the biblical thunderstorm early hours of Friday. That was nothing compared to the 2007 washout. 2016 wouldn't have been too bad apart from getting groin strain traipsing through mud on the way in. Also a pain not being able to sit down.Have to say though the last few have been scorching and made it a bit hard work, my other half got sunstroke in 2019. Thankfully I had borrowed a fresh and black tent last year which made morning naps a lot easier. Still would rather have it boiling hot than a wet one. I'm more often than not dancing about to DJ's with a few bands thrown in so line up is definitely not as important as a dry year

I did 2016 with a broken toe. Getting through the mud in heavy boots felt like I had trench foot by the time I got home. I also think the factor that made 2016 so bad for some was how long it took us to get in. I left my house just before 2pm on Tuesday and didn't get in to the CV field until nearly 6am in the morning meant I was shattered from the off.