Getting to Glastonbury from Ireland

LeFreak

I’m with @The Nalhere…fly into Bristol, by far the path of least resistance (have done the other options previously). My camp (tent, thermarest, sleeping bag, rain gear etc) all goes in a checked rucksack (20kg is enough…no issues getting it through the airport on either Ryanair or Aer Lingus), clothes in a 10kg carry on duffel. We rent a car and stop off at a petrol station (around Langford) just south of the airport along the A38 before we branch off towards axbridge & cheddar and pick up supplies (spirits already bought in the duty free at Dublin airport, just cold beers on the other side), but have gotten a cab before as well (cheaper than bus back into Bristol and coach down between 4 and much quicker…book your return while you are at it!). Far more leisurely than the ferry. The drive takes longer than it says on Google maps! (7am Holyhead ferry, plan on arriving at festival site well after 5pm if there is no traffic…took over 10 hours in 2007!)…Most of what you might want is available at the festival, you don’t need to cart a small village with you. Pack light and enjoy! 

11 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

I’m with @The Nalhere…fly into Bristol, by far the path of least resistance (have done the other options previously). My camp (tent, thermarest, sleeping bag, rain gear etc) all goes in a checked rucksack (20kg is enough…no issues getting it through the airport on either Ryanair or Aer Lingus), clothes in a 10kg carry on duffel. We rent a car and stop off at a petrol station (around Langford) just south of the airport along the A38 before we branch off towards axbridge & cheddar and pick up supplies (spirits already bought in the duty free at Dublin airport, just cold beers on the other side), but have gotten a cab before as well (cheaper than bus back into Bristol and coach down between 4 and much quicker…book your return while you are at it!). Far more leisurely than the ferry. The drive takes longer than it says on Google maps! (7am Holyhead ferry, plan on arriving at festival site well after 5pm if there is no traffic…took over 10 hours in 2007!)…Most of what you might want is available at the festival, you don’t need to cart a small village with you. Pack light and enjoy! 

Yeah done a load of ways myself and its by far the easist.

Just on the rentals from Bristol airport, rented a car for EOTR last year and this place was far cheaper than the places at the airport. 

https://greenmotion.com/locations/united-kingdom/bristol-airport

Its a 2 minute drive from the airport (actually about 1 min past Hertz et al) and theyll collect you and drop you back. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/3azf9HNg7FsSWqZy7

9 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah done a load of ways myself and its by far the easist.

Just on the rentals from Bristol airport, rented a car for EOTR last year and this place was far cheaper than the places at the airport. 

https://greenmotion.com/locations/united-kingdom/bristol-airport

Its a 2 minute drive from the airport (actually about 1 min past Hertz et al) and theyll collect you and drop you back. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/3azf9HNg7FsSWqZy7

Yep, used them before and definitely cheaper. We’re flying back out of Cardiff though as flight timing is betterj, so don’t think we can leave it back there this time…need to decide on whether we’ll just get cabs or rent something this year! 

Slightly unrelated.....I'm going to Ireland on holiday, with a ferry from Fishguard > Rosslare just before Glastonbury festival (8th - 15th June) with my wife and dog..........I've heard the journey on the ferry can be a bit rough, and the dog isn't good in the car let alone in a car on a ferry and not allowed up on the deck with us.

Anyone know much what its like?  

Will be a long day for us as we are driving from Oxford > Fishguard > Ferry to Rosslare > drive to Wexford all in one hit.

20 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Slightly unrelated.....I'm going to Ireland on holiday, with a ferry from Fishguard > Rosslare just before Glastonbury festival (8th - 15th June) with my wife and dog..........I've heard the journey on the ferry can be a bit rough, and the dog isn't good in the car let alone in a car on a ferry and not allowed up on the deck with us.

Anyone know much what its like?  

Will be a long day for us as we are driving from Oxford > Fishguard > Ferry to Rosslare > drive to Wexford all in one hit.

Worked on the ferry on that route (well Pembroke - Rosslare) for years part time around school/college/early 20s age. 

It depends. One week the sea can be like a lake. I remember being out on deck having a smoke during a night shift admiring the porpoises following the ship as the full moon reflected onto the water like a mirror. I felt a special bond with nature that night. Just me, the porpoises and the sea.

Another week it was so rough the shelves in the off license collapsed and the whole deck was drenched in glass and booze. The canteen and restaurants were covered in food and smashed plates. All of the decks were covered in passengers vomit. 3 hours of people screeching like gibbons everytime the ship hit a big wave. The toilets were knocked about so badly the stench of urine and faeces permeated throughout the entire ship and if people didnt flush, their turds ended up skidding back and forward across the floor in a sea of steaming piss.

Enjoy Ireland. 

Edited by The Nal

9 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Another week it was so rough the shelves in the off license collapsed and the whole deck was drenched in glass and booze. The canteen and restaurants were covered in food and smashed plates. All of the decks were covered in passengers vomit. 3 hours of people screeching like gibbons everytime the ship hit a big wave. The toilets were knocked about so badly the stench of urine and faeces permeated throughout the entire ship and if people didnt flush, their turds ended up skidding back and forward across the floor in a sea of steaming piss.

Sounds like at least one of the pubs I used to drink in back home

On 1/3/2024 at 6:43 PM, LeFreak said:

Excellent replies @CbmRules and @ghostdancer1 thanks a million.

It is our first time going but I'm a little bit restricted in time off pre festival (ie would suit better not to take Tuesday off) but after the festival it's not an issue. I'm leaning towards the ferry option as I just think either bringing all the gear through an airport or picking it up over there sounds like a huge pain in the hole. 

It would mean we probably wouldn't get there until around 4ish on the Wednesday but we would be fed, get a chance to nap on the ferry and be able to load up the car at home and bring it straight to the festival. Hopefully the queues and traffic might have died down a bit by this time as well. 

Plans subject to change of course! 

If you can't take the Tuesday off, there's a 19:30 sailing from Rosslare, gets you into Fishguard at 23:00. Could check in somewhere then for the night and then have a 3hr drive the next morning. Also slightly later ones to Pembroke/Holyhead, but they get in after midnight, so you'd have to have somewhere that is OK with you checking in at that time (lots of B&Bs in those places, so might be OK). Depending on what time you need to finish work at though, 19:30 sailing (ie be checked in at Rosslare before 19:00) might be too tight. If WFH is an option that day, there's a whole load of workarounds that you could probably do, from driving down half the way in the morning before work and then sitting in a coffee shop/pub for the morning working, then continuing on to Wexford at lunch and doing the same for the afternoon (as a friend of mine once did for All Together Now!), to getting the train all the way to Rosslare during the afternoon and working on that, while others drove down.

If you want to fly, there's a 19:30 Tuesday flight from Dublin to Bristol, you could get that, rent a car at the airport, and then check in somewhere outside Bristol for the night. Next morning get breakfast, do supermarket shop, and be on-site by midday.

As said above, splitting the group with some driving and some flying would be an option too, with some sailing/driving and being able to take tents and pick up booze, and others that can't go over on Tuesday daytime getting a flight instead (either Tues night, or Wed morning).

• Like 1

Non-driver / solo traveller, going over every year with a fair amount of camping gear for one person.  I always take Rail & Sail, Dublin-Holyhead and then on to Bristol. Shuttle bus from Bristol.  It takes time but is the cheapest option.

8 hours ago, The Nal said:

Worked on the ferry on that route (well Pembroke - Rosslare) for years part time around school/college/early 20s age. 

It depends. One week the sea can be like a lake. I remember being out on deck having a smoke during a night shift admiring the porpoises following the ship as the full moon reflected onto the water like a mirror. I felt a special bond with nature that night. Just me, the porpoises and the sea.

Enjoy Ireland. 

ffs 🤦‍♂️😂

I drive back 15th - one night at home then off to the euros in Germany with a mare for a week, fly back Sunday - two days at work then off to Glastonbury.

No rest for the wicked eh 😁

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

ffs 🤦‍♂️😂

I drive back 15th - one night at home then off to the euros in Germany with a mare for a week, fly back Sunday - two days at work then off to Glastonbury.

No rest for the wicked eh 😁

If you're worried about the boat, the Swift is far quicker and usually smoother. Oxford to Holyhead is a similar distance as it is to Fishguard too.

If your plans arent firmly set, its less than a 2 hour drive between Dublin & Wexford and there's plenty of beautiful places to stay in between too if you don't fancy the drive off the boat.

Have travelled from Ireland to glastonbury 9 times and have done all the above. If flying I much prefer the bus over the car rental if you're travelling fairly light just so you can have a drink in the airport, on the bus etc. down side is it limits how much drink you can bring. 

Last time (2022) my partner and I took our 3 kids so driving over and taking the ferry became a necessity as needed to bring so much stuff and the tent is f**king massive. 

This year we are going again and this time my in laws are also heading over. Last time I queued overnight but this meant having to pay for somewhere for the rest of the gang to stay on the Tuesday night. 

In another thread a few people said Wicket generally still had plenty of space even past Wednesday. Was considering driving down from Liverpool off the ferry from 6.30am. I've not driven down in years on the Wednesday. Is traffic likely to be horrible arriving at that sort of time and does anyone know what likelihood there would be of being able to choose which car parks/ gate to head for at that stage?

I drove from Liverpool twice early morning in the past and it was nightmarish although both were 10-15 years ago.

Hey @northernringo we are going to take your good advice and pack the same way as you on our flight. Going to check in 1 x 23kg hold bag and 1 x 15kg hold bag between us. Was just wondering what trolley you use, one of the square black ones with wheels or the more upright types? 

Think we will then get the coach from airport down and back. It will then just be wondering what coach to book on the Monday morning for our flight and how much extra time we need to account for traffic etc, our flight back is at 1pm, any guidance from anyone would be appreciated 👍😊

31 minutes ago, dicko_belfast said:

what coach to book on the Monday morning for our flight and how much extra time we need to account for traffic etc, our flight back is at 1pm, any guidance from anyone would be appreciated 👍😊

As early as possible. 

On 1/5/2024 at 12:54 PM, Toilet Duck said:

I've flown from Dublin every year since 2016 doing this, I think it's the easiest way. Especially if you can't take Tuesday off work. I'll also work Tuesday and I've booked the early flight Dublin to Bristol on Wednesday morning.

Edited by Madyaker

13 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I've flown from Dublin every year since 2016 doing this, I think it's the easiest way. Especially if you can't take Tuesday off work. I'll also work Tuesday and I've booked the early flight Dublin to Bristol on Wednesday morning.

Yep. I had a ferry booked last time as car rental prices were insane…but in the end I cancelled it and flew…the lads that got the ferry had a long journey there and a nightmare return home (ended up missing the ferry and sleeping in the car after a very slow exit from the car park on Monday). Just the least stressful option all things considered.

8 hours ago, dicko_belfast said:

It said on the coach website it takes an hour - but surely that's a lot longer with traffic etc. Thinking the 8am coach maybe even though flight isn't till 1? 

Very probably ok. But things can very easily get to a standstill on Monday morning. Weather, accident etc... The coaches have to take you away but they have to get to the site too. So yes I wouldn't take anything later than that for a 1pm flight.

17 hours ago, dicko_belfast said:

Hey @northernringo we are going to take your good advice and pack the same way as you on our flight. Going to check in 1 x 23kg hold bag and 1 x 15kg hold bag between us. Was just wondering what trolley you use, one of the square black ones with wheels or the more upright types? 

Think we will then get the coach from airport down and back. It will then just be wondering what coach to book on the Monday morning for our flight and how much extra time we need to account for traffic etc, our flight back is at 1pm, any guidance from anyone would be appreciated 👍😊

Barring an absolute disaster it's about 90 mins inc traffic. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 2:09 PM, dicko_belfast said:

We use a sack truck style (i.e., the more upright ones). When it comes to wrapping it, we have it packed as if we were pushing the trolley (the two tents stacked on top of each other).

Just make sure you bring extra cling roll with you so that you can wrap it up again for the flight home!

• Like 1