2024 Ticket Price & Sale Date Announced

Dukeicon

35 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

My perception on this (and its really to do with festivals in general) is people used to go to them and get to a certain age point or start to struggle with camping and then bow out.....glamping arriving in the early-mid 00s has changed the game, as when people now get to the traditional 'bow out' stage (which I'm now pushing towards) they now just pay their way out of it with glamping.

It means they get to still go the festival without all nasty bits (trekking in with bundles of stuff, setting up tents, sweating in queues for hours etc) and the festival still makes a lot of money from them paying for the pre-errected tents or glamping option.

What has come with that (and this is just my opinion) is that other people who would have previously never gone near a camping festival now see it as a more luxurious way of doing a festival so the glamping areas are now very popular,  have a mix of ex-standard older campers and new-glampers and the various organisers can charge the earth for it. 

Excellent post. That's really got me thinking. If there were no campervan pitches, what do you think it would do to demand for the festival as a whole, and the demographic of attendees?

49 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

My perception on this (and its really to do with festivals in general) is people used to go to them and get to a certain age point or start to struggle with camping and then bow out.....glamping arriving in the early-mid 00s has changed the game, as when people now get to the traditional 'bow out' stage (which I'm now pushing towards) they now just pay their way out of it with glamping.

It means they get to still go the festival without all nasty bits (trekking in with bundles of stuff, setting up tents, sweating in queues for hours etc) and the festival still makes a lot of money from them paying for the pre-errected tents or glamping option.

What has come with that (and this is just my opinion) is that other people who would have previously never gone near a camping festival now see it as a more luxurious way of doing a festival so the glamping areas are now very popular,  have a mix of ex-standard older campers and new-glampers and the various organisers can charge the earth for it. 

The same thing has happened at the football since the removal of standing (at least up the higher leagues). Where I go is full of old buggers like me, when years ago, a lot would have moved out to the main stands or packing it in, and more younger people would be filling up the areas that traditionally generated the atmosphere. 

57 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

and to sort of add to my own post another knock on effect especially for Glastonbury is you’re now competing for tickets against a much higher amount of people than you would have before all these options appeared as the festival is retaining an audience who might otherwise have retired from going. 

5 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

The same thing has happened at the football since the removal of standing (at least up the higher leagues). Where I go is full of old buggers like me, when years ago, a lot would have moved out to the main stands or packing it in, and more younger people would be filling up the areas that traditionally generated the atmosphere. 

Yep, agreed. My ST at Arsenal is behind the goal and is broadly the same people who got it when we moved stadiums in 2006.

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

The pitch your own thing is telling, honestly. 

Lots of people willing to double the cost of the festival because they're not willing or able to carry their stuff and camp up in regular camping. Because that's literally the only difference. I'll admit to being one of them, it's the only way I can see myself doing the fest in the future (but not this year). 

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm one of these you describe! I hit a wall last year and bought myself a van project - never going back to general camping and all that comes with it - deflating airbeds, back pain, sciatica etc. 

If I didn't have that choice I'd have to hang up my boots but I've done 5 festivals this year in absolute comfort! 

Its interesting to note space wise glamping is far far less efficient, you can probably fit 1/3 as many people per field

If glamping hadn't become so popular and the festival instead just kept growing in people, maybe some price rises could have been prevented to an extent. Sure for the teepees maybe not, but fitting 3x as many people on a worthy view small pitch which is only a few hundred quid could be beneficial

17 hours ago, stuie said:

I'm one of these you describe! I hit a wall last year and bought myself a van project - never going back to general camping and all that comes with it - deflating airbeds, back pain, sciatica etc. 

If I didn't have that choice I'd have to hang up my boots but I've done 5 festivals this year in absolute comfort! 

I think, had we still been committed to camping festivals, we'd have done the same. For us the extra cost of glamping or a van doesn't justify the enjoyment we get from it anymore. 

17 hours ago, gfa said:

Its interesting to note space wise glamping is far far less efficient, you can probably fit 1/3 as many people per field

If glamping hadn't become so popular and the festival instead just kept growing in people, maybe some price rises could have been prevented to an extent. Sure for the teepees maybe not, but fitting 3x as many people on a worthy view small pitch which is only a few hundred quid could be beneficial

Never actually been in a glamping field, though I wonder how true this is - at least with pre-erected camping they can actually space it very efficiently, and the fact you pay a lot more for a bigger tent means there's less "bring a six-man tent for two people" that you get in general camping.

Not saying you're wrong though, but I guess there's no real way of knowing how many people are camped in eg. Pennards.

If you're right, it raises an interesting question though - some of the driver for glamping is from people who can't carry their own stuff such long distances - I do wonder if a shuttle from the car parks to the gates could have actually reduced that. Or even offer parking at Bath & West - you're further away but can get dropped at Gate A. Wonder what sort of impact that would have had.

On 10/9/2023 at 3:13 PM, gooner1990 said:

We reached the age related bow out stage in 2017 and went down the pre erected route at worthy view. We enjoyed it but guess  what, if we are lucky enough to get tickets for next year then it’s back to our old fav spot up at lime kiln😉😊(as long as Mrs c can be convinced). Just something special about being on site.  

13 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

We reached the age related bow out stage in 2017 and went down the pre erected route at worthy view. We enjoyed it but guess  what, if we are lucky enough to get tickets for next year then it’s back to our old fav spot up at lime kiln😉😊(as long as Mrs c can be convinced). Just something special about being on site.  

I've resisted pre-erected so far, but 90% of the people I go with do it these days. 

Its the getting in and out that does me really than the camping part itself!

• Upvote 1

The getting in and out of Worthy View on Wednesday morning bit is what might swing me back up there again this year, ticket permitting - I took five people's bags as they were on the coach, and was able to drive in and park 50 yards from the entrance at 9am on Wednesday morning, did three trips back and forth to get everything to our tents, and was drinking a can on site by 11am. I'd probably need to be lined up at 10pm the night before at a regular ped gate to make that happen. Then on the Monday, easy to do a couple of trips to pack the car up, then a straight drive out and back on the A361 in 15 mins with no fuss.

On 10/9/2023 at 3:13 PM, gooner1990 said:

On 10/9/2023 at 3:49 PM, Mardy said:

Excellent post. That's really got me thinking. If there were no campervan pitches, what do you think it would do to demand for the festival as a whole, and the demographic of attendees?

an excellent post indeed.. I have been attending since 2007 (aged 48) and have only stayed in CVE

If there were no CV fields it would have a big change on demographic... I would suggest the majority of CV'ers are 40+ and quite a number 60+ like myself..

I dont think it would change the demographic of SE Corner / Late night venues per se though, more the main stages where the music can be more mainstream..

What would change is the festivals economic model... the CV crowd are less likely to carry their own beer and food around the site and so bars and food vendors would take a hit. (I assume this is true for the pre-erected crowd too?)

13 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

What would change is the festivals economic model... the CV crowd are less likely to carry their own beer and food around the site and so bars and food vendors would take a hit. (I assume this is true for the pre-erected crowd too?)

Why on earth would you "eat out" if you have a CV.

Surely one of the benefits is being able to easily make your own meals

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

once iam out for the day (around 10/11am) I never go back to my campervan to cook , it would take too much time out of my day and I think most others are the same.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

You do realise it’s quite a walk back to some of the caravan fields . One reason I’ve never considered it as I quite nipping back to the tent . However im mostly the tent side of site anyway 

4 minutes ago, gazzared said:

once iam out for the day (around 10/11am) I never go back to my campervan to cook , it would take too much time out of my day and I think most others are the same.

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

You do realise it’s quite a walk back to some of the caravan fields . One reason I’ve never considered it as I quite nipping back to the tent . However im mostly the tent side of site anyway 

Fair enough.

I'm lucky in that my CV is about 2 minutes from SE corner, 10 minutes from WH and about 15-20 from The Park

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Not to put you off but Lime Kiln was really busy and hard for us to get a spot when we arrived around 4pm Wednesday this year. With the removal of Pylon and Rivermead this year there appear not to be any non-crowded camping spots left. Part of what factored into our decision. (LK not huge fun this year after previously camping at the back of Rivermead since it opened)/

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

I mean we've had this discussion before but the food offering is really quite good and its the same reason I'd ever eat out rather than make my own food when I have a house.

Also aren't half the campers in Bath and West?

On 10/9/2023 at 3:49 PM, Mardy said:

Definitely it’d deter the older contingent. I know people who wouldn’t go. I’d revert to a tent if that was the only option.  Not sure it would make much difference to demand, what proportion currently go in a CV? 10%?

4 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

an excellent post indeed.. I have been attending since 2007 (aged 48) and have only stayed in CVE

If there were no CV fields it would have a big change on demographic... I would suggest the majority of CV'ers are 40+ and quite a number 60+ like myself..

I dont think it would change the demographic of SE Corner / Late night venues per se though, more the main stages where the music can be more mainstream..

Definitely true for pre-erected (plus they've spent more already)