Green Man 2024

bexj

Echoing the sentiments that it's a disappointing set of headliners aside from Big Thief. Plenty of solid stuff on there though that I'm looking forward to seeing and a lot still to discover so I'm pretty happy overall. 7/10.

Think its a decent line-up with good headliners (although i love the Mods), the real treasure is in the undercard, as usual.

Recommended:
Explosions in the Sky
BCNR
Blond Redhead
Omar Souleyman
John Maus
Sheer Mag
John Francis Flynn
Loraine James
John
Lynks
Islet
Opus Kink
Big Special

• Upvote 2

Anywhere I think having someone like Jon Hopkins an absolute waste of a headliner but nice for some to just sit and let it wash over them I suppose.

At first was disappointed but happy with what's there but finally getting to see Devendra Banhart and Hurray for Riff Raff and looking forward to discovering some new stuff and seeing where everyone places on the lineup and also the more to come!! Also will check out Sampha because not my normal vibe but up for trying it out!

Thief, Sampha and Jon only ones that have headliner in their description...would they all be Mountain Stage then?

Headliners aside, more than enough to keep my happy - undercard is stacked. Just hope the kids are up for a sweaty Dad at Osees! (not really just kidding)

Chuffed to see The Waeve on there.

and Das Koolies!!!

Similar sentiment here, mixed bag for headliners. Stoked for Big Thief, and I quite like the others but think they're all weak headliners.

However, that undercard is beyond stacked. So many incredible bands its going to be a mission to see half of them!

16 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

Oof that's weak. Big supporter of Green Man and what they do but not much wow factor in that lineup. You can only book what is available though I suppose. 

Agreed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Was looking for stronger headliners because I didn't see any of them last year and missed the mountain stage a bit. Happy with Big Thief and will probably see Jon Hopkins but very meh about Sampha and Selford Mods just make me cringe so I'll avoid those. Overall, very happy with the rest of the line up

12 minutes ago, bandsrcool said:

Anywhere I think having someone like Jon Hopkins an absolute waste of a headliner but nice for some to just sit and let it wash over them I suppose.

At first was disappointed but happy with what's there but finally getting to see Devendra Banhart and Hurray for Riff Raff and looking forward to discovering some new stuff and seeing where everyone places on the lineup and also the more to come!! Also will check out Sampha because not my normal vibe but up for trying it out!

Thief, Sampha and Jon only ones that have headliner in their description...would they all be Mountain Stage then?

Sleaford presumably the thursday headliner in the Far Out going of the descriptions

• Like 1

With the four headliners listed, does that mean Fri - Big Thief; Sat - Sampha followed by Jon H; Sun - Mods? Or does it mean one of them is playing on Thursday?

Sorry - question already answered above 

Edited by AtomsForPizza

Sleaford Mods can get in the bin but that's fine because the undercard is so strong I'll need to be elsewhere.

Over the moon with Sampha. Strongest undercard in years. I'm kinda shocked at people's reaction if I'm honest, it's bloody marvellous! 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Apart sleaford mods im pretty happy about the headliners, although Jon hopkins seems abit weak and feel were lacking that special act like Krafwerk or DEVO.

Nevertheless the undercard for me is wicked, and once again plenty for me to get stuck into. 

Am I missing something with Jon Hopkins? All seems very ambient to me on Spotify, are his sets a bit more lively in person? I found something similar with four tet though so probably just not my style of music. 

9 minutes ago, OddRon said:

Am I missing something with Jon Hopkins? All seems very ambient to me on Spotify, are his sets a bit more lively in person? I found something similar with four tet though so probably just not my style of music. 

His West Holts set looked fairly lively - but i was only watching on telly

17 minutes ago, OddRon said:

You're not missing anything. When I saw him (don't judge - supporting Coldplay when I was a teenager in 2008 lol) the visuals were alright but a pure ambient music set really isn't for me in a live setting. Interested to see how big a crowd he pulls but something tells me the other stages will be overflowing..

20 minutes ago, OddRon said:

His discography is sort of bookended by more ambient bits, but two in the middle (Immunity and Singularity) tend to hit slightly harder. 

• Like 1

Have done a speculative Clashfinder: https://clashfinder.com/s/gm2024/

One sort of interesting thing is we already know who'd headlining which day - Sleaford Mods Thursday because the fourth listed headliner is always the Thursday, Jon Hopkins Friday, Big Thief Saturday because they have dates on Friday and Sunday, and Sampha on Sunday because he's elsewhere on Friday (similarly Ezra Collective have to be on Sunday)

I count 24 gaps (including GM Rising acts) - one notable thing is I think there's a Sunday Far Out headliner or sub still to come, because the top three there are usually slightly bigger/better known names as there's always an expectant crowd round that area and I don't see where they'd come from.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Have done a speculative Clashfinder: https://clashfinder.com/s/gm2024/

One sort of interesting thing is we already know who'd headlining which day - Sleaford Mods Thursday because the fourth listed headliner is always the Thursday, Jon Hopkins Friday, Big Thief Saturday because they have dates on Friday and Sunday, and Sampha on Sunday because he's elsewhere on Friday (similarly Ezra Collective have to be on Sunday)

I count 24 gaps (including GM Rising acts) - one notable thing is I think there's a Sunday Far Out headliner or sub still to come, because the top three there are usually slightly bigger/better known names as there's always an expectant crowd round that area and I don't see where they'd come from.

Thanks for doing this - it must have taken some effort.

That said, if the clashes between Jon Hopkins/Explosions in the Sky and Big Thief/Black Country New Road actually happen, I will hold you personally responsible.

Just now, Kempleton said:

Thanks for doing this - it must have taken some effort.

That said, if the clashes between Jon Hopkins/Explosions in the Sky and Big Thief/Black Country New Road actually happen, I will hold you personally responsible.

There's no way they'll clash big thief and black country new road. The two bands feel very similar now that bcnr have shifted their style.

Yeah, the headliners are VERY 'meh'

Lots on the undercard. Which, if it was a few years ago, would be great! Now we (me and my partner) are merely glorified slaves to our bloody kid. So chances on watching the undercard are hit & miss (although we DID see a fair bit in far out, thanks to platform access keeping the kid sweet). I guess it depends on who is headlining the other 2 stages.

I end up feeling a bit......frustrated. 

Just now, retromoz said:

Yeah, the headliners are VERY 'meh'

Lots on the undercard. Which, if it was a few years ago, would be great! Now we (me and my partner) are merely glorified slaves to our bloody kid. So chances on watching the undercard are hit & miss (although we DID see a fair bit in far out, thanks to platform access keeping the kid sweet). I guess it depends on who is headlining the other 2 stages.

I end up feeling a bit......frustrated. 

Course, i AM a miserable f**ker. 😉

13 minutes ago, retromoz said:

Course, i AM a miserable f**ker. 😉

I've definitely felt a little similar but I think built it up in my head that they were going to get some really standout unique headliners after kraftwerk and devo. 

Echo the sentiments of the headliners being underwhelming but the undercard is solid. Was hoping for a few other names that are around at the same time but by the sounds there’s still plenty more to come! Looking forward to deep diving into the acts lower down the bill- super excited for my first GM!!!!!

• Like 1