Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

9 minutes ago, DDave said:

I'd be putting Dua Lipa and QOTSA in the mix for this, personally.

Too early for Dua? New album next year and i guess solo arena tour then...i would say 2025:)

According to their insta story, "webshop is on fire". I bet its better than last year 

1 hour ago, gfa said:

To some extent I think. Theoretically she'd sell out all her day tickets instantly and her mad army of fans would buy 3/6 day tickets?

The question is would they stay for the rest of the festival or only do that one day?

17 hours ago, Matt86 said:

But I'd rather not see this kind of HUGE acts, I can already imagine people at the main stage, "killing" the day and the other artists.

This is so true. I was really looking forward to see Girl in Red but noone knew her in the crowd (of full of Billie Eilish fans and parents) and that killed the mood a bit.

Edited by kristofm

4 hours ago, Newjem said:

The question is would they stay for the rest of the festival or only do that one day?

Good question. Stick another big pop act or an affiliated one (Boygenius, Haim, Maisie Peters) at the other end of the festival and you probably solve the bulk of that problem though. 

4 hours ago, kristofm said:

This is so true. I was really looking forward to see Girl in Red but noone knew her in the crowd (of full of Billie Eilish fans and parents) and that killed the mood a bit.

We must be honest : we may like or not the Main Stage line up this year, it was REALLY weak.. look at Arlo Parks or Caroline Polachek, how empty the crowds were... and I'm only taking about the acts I saw, I don't know for easy life, mimi webb etc... but I bet there was still plenty of space.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Matt86 said:

We must be honest : we may like or not the Main Stage line up this year, it was REALLY weak.. look at Arlo Parks or Caroline Polachek, how empty the crowds were... and I'm only taking about the acts I saw, I don't know for easy life, mimi webb etc... but I bet there was still plenty of space.

Yeah. It was interesting though that it seemed like Hungarians turned up for Hungarian acts. I haven't seen Halott Pénz (no words can describe how much I dislike them) but I think there was an okay crowd at Dzsúdló and Carson Coma considering the slot they had (and the fact that they're only popular in Hungary).

27 minutes ago, kristofm said:

Yeah. It was interesting though that it seemed like Hungarians turned up for Hungarian acts. I haven't seen Halott Pénz (no words can describe how much I dislike them) but I think there was an okay crowd at Dzsúdló and Carson Coma considering the slot they had (and the fact that they're only popular in Hungary).

I heard they are very popular in Hungary (carson coma) so I wasn't surprised by the crowd, actually I think it's good that Sziget keep having Hungarian artists at good slots 🙂

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2023 at 3:20 PM, Newjem said:

as stated above can be fixed easily with a big pop act at the other end

I would say though obviously if they left they aren't spending money but Sziget generally doesn't sell out anyway so not sure its a massive problem? Its not like they would be taking tickets off people who would camp the whole time spending money on site (well depends how many of them come i guess!)

Taylor Swift could make more sense as a kind of add on day to be honest

Expecting lineup on around same level. Hoping for strong undercards. "worst lineup ever" will be the most popular comment on social media, yet it's going to sell well after a positive impression this year. 

Olivia Rodrigo - One Republic - Kygo - 21pilots - QOTSA - Tyler, the creator - Lana Del Rey 

Edited by activean

My headliners perfect team for next year (unrealistic for some of those, I know lol 🤗 ) :

Green Day                                    Queens of the Stone Age

Bruno Mars                                   Usher

Armin Van Buuren                        Lady Gaga

I never went this year and from our group of 12 only 2 went back. The main reason was the poor line up, say what you want but when you have been a good few times the line up becomes more important. In saying that if anyone has not been it is fantastic. 

Last year's had 4 really large  acts and with Lewis and supposed to be Sam Fender , Bastille Ann Marie there was a good under card and an excellent DJ acts in Alan Walker and Steve Aoki. 

I felt it never had a few big acts this year apart from Billie and under card was dire. 

The 2 that went enjoyed it but did say the undercard was the worst and a few acts looked lost. 

Looking back over the years there has always been a few really big names and I am hoping for a better line up and if there are a few I will probably go. 

I feel a decent under card pulls folk over all day rather than just turning up for the headliner.  

I am hoping for a decent band, Blur , Killers,  Female in Lana,  pop act in Olivia, Major Lazer, any DJ act and maybe a rapper this time 

I am personally hopping for decent undercard in some rock acts like Biffy, Liam, Kasabian and that type but I don't think it will happen 

Times Sziget announced their first names

Sziget 2023: 1 Dec 2022 (first clue a month prior)*

Sziget 2022: 22 Nov 2021 (first clue 2 months prior)

Sziget 2020: 12 Feb 2020 (80 names)

Sziget 2019: 27 Nov 2018 (20 Sept 2018 - Ed Sheeran)

Sziget 2018: 22 Jan 2018

Sziget 2017: 15 Dec 2016

*"Hate to break it to you but my previous posts weren't clues. Duh." I love this person ❤️ 

Edited by kristofm
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

https://www.iq-mag.net/2023/08/sziget-ceo-new-improved-festival/?mc_cid=6bd1a529ed&mc_eid=2974fc969c

Some interesting stuff from there, cause it's behind paywall for some:

The fan experience at the festival was a major focus for the Sziget team, with major investments and improvements in decoration, catering, sustainability and amenities.

“Since the beginning, Sziget has been constantly improving and developing, with innovations in different areas every year,” explains Kádár. “However, last year, after a two-year interruption, we were happy that we managed to survive the difficulties which were overwhelming for many, and which were attacking us on several fronts. This year, however, we were back on the road to progress.

“The entire look and feel of the festival was a huge step forward, the new toilet blocks, the food courts, the decoration, the art all over the place made a great change to the experience of our visitors not to mention the spectacular venues like the TicketSwap Colosseum, the Samsung Party Arena, the Cirque du Sziget, which looked all really amazing.”

One of Sziget’s biggest considerations when designing the 2023 edition was the country’s monster inflation rate, which has lingered around 20% –  the highest in Europe.

“The inflation rate is a huge problem for the entire country, especially the food inflation rate which was almost 50% throughout the last 12 months,” notes Kádár. “However, with the weaker Forint this inflation is not as high in Euro terms. The only impact we see for our customers is higher food prices on the festival but this price level is still lower than Western-European or UK prices.”

In response to the food inflation rate, each vendor in Sziget’s new food court was required to offer at least one so-called “budget food” with a maximum price of €6.50.

Catering was also the subject of increased sustainability, with a key aim to offer food prepared with a smaller carbon footprint.

Organisers launched a campaign among caterers that resulted in 80% of those partners offering at least two vegetarian main courses, and over 40% of partners not offering any red meat at all. The campaign also aimed to increase the proportion of Hungarian food used by caterers. A set of seven sustainability criteria was also introduced, of which at least two criteria must be met by all caterers.

And here's my favorite:

In addition, on a trial basis, a special carbon offsetting scheme was launched for those arriving at the festival by plane, and only electric or human-powered vehicles were used on the festival site.

There were definitely not only electric vehicles driving around the site. 😄

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 10:29 PM, eyebrain said:

And here's my favorite:

In addition, on a trial basis, a special carbon offsetting scheme was launched for those arriving at the festival by plane, and only electric or human-powered vehicles were used on the festival site.

There were definitely not only electric vehicles driving around the site. 😄

Such a bs. Those yellow scooters might be electric, but they sure come with the noise and the smell of the old ones. 🤷‍♂️ 

I think that the Killers will be next headliner as they could play this year perfectly, but they didnt, so I think they already had contract for next year signed along with new album etc.

But its just my hunch 🙂

My next guesses are:

Martin Garrix and Blur,

....and Bastille, Bastille for sure, he is always there 🙂

58 minutes ago, lukatej said:

I think that the Killers will be next headliner as they could play this year perfectly, but they didnt, so I think they already had contract for next year signed along with new album etc.

But its just my hunch 🙂

My next guesses are:

Martin Garrix and Blur,

....and Bastille, Bastille for sure, he is always there 🙂

I really want Blur. I was gutted we didn’t get them this year.

• Upvote 1

It's so difficult that I can only pick 5 😞

Lauran Hibberd, Wet Leg, Soft Play for me for sure, and probably Blink-182 and Green Day. I think that's my five. Today. lol

And I'm annoyed that I can't include Fidlar, The Big Moon, The Pigeon Detectives or my favourite Aussie bands, but they're unlikely anyway (Ruby Fields, Tired Lion, Violent Soho). The alternative rock/grunge/punk-rock scene in Australia seems incredible by the way.