What lifted your spirits at Glasto 2023?

kalifire

I posted elsewhere about some of the struggles I experienced at this year's festival, but there were plenty of golden moments as well, many of which had a really positive impact on my time there. I though it would be nice to have a thread about the stuff that helped made your festival better this year.

- As always, the lock up crews. They always seem so genuinely friendly and down to earth. A pleasure meeting with them every time.

- The cynicism I saw several youngsters have towards the street performers. Maybe it just made me nostalgic to live in the UK, but I enjoyed their indifference.

- The crew in the mocktails van up by T&C. They always seemed to have such positive energy whenever I passed.

- The DJ playing tunes before Rick Astley on the Pyramid. I needed Scooby Snacks and Reverend Black Grape more than I could possibly have realised.

- Elton John. In a very mixed year for me, Elton was nothing but transcendent and made everything worthwhile.

• Like 1

Quite a few things this year. 

All the volunteers always so friendly 

Feeling much fitter than last year 

Ironically not having as many must sees. I felt much freer to decide what to see based on mood, energy level, weather and it made for a happier vibe. 

Getting to meet up with many of my Glastonbury friends. (Not all but hopefully next year I’ll get to meet more again)

Taking it easier on Wednesday and Thursday meant I was slightly less broken during the festival as well. 

Spending more time in Theatre and Circus fields than last year as well. Always such a cheerful vibe in there. Thanks to @fred quimby for the recommendations. 

Edited by gigpusher

Something I've noticed from being there and also catching up on iPlayer. Despite all the controversy around the lack of female headliners, there are LOADS of female musicians now. Drummers, guitarists, keyboardists. No longer are women relegated to BVs and swaying their arms about looking pretty. It's actually quite difficult to find an all male band nowadays and I am all for that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ICGenie said:

Something I've noticed from being there and also catching up on iPlayer. Despite all the controversy around the lack of female headliners, there are LOADS of female musicians now. Drummers, guitarists, keyboardists. No longer are women relegated to BVs and swaying their arms about looking pretty. It's actually quite difficult to find an all male band nowadays and I am all for that.

And once again a lot of my highlights were female. Rina, Lizzo, CMAT etc all on fire! 

• Like 1

My mates

The amazing weather

Yusuf / Cat - not sure as a legend that it will be surpassed

Random conversations with strangers 

Elton

The sun streaming through the trees in Strummerville whilst Lottery Winners and Hak Baker played

Strolling home at dawn on Friday from the Stone Circle and seeing hundreds of people pouring out off the SE Corner with smiles on their faces

The volunteers 

Meeting an 8 year old who is wiser in the ways of Glastonbury (after 2 visits to the farm) then a load of my mates who have been multiple times. At times it was like listening to the veterans on here.

The sheer joy of watching Oh my God it's the Church on Sensation Seekers

Not meeting a single bell end all week

Breezing into the CV fields around midday on Tuesday and getting parked up in the best spot i have had in 10 festivals (E19 next to the fence)

The unbelievably good burger (from my local butcher) that we barbecued on Wednesday afternoon washed down with some decent red wine and several Dark & Stormy's

At long last having the courage (thanks to my daughters badgering) to show my face at the Ridge & Furrow meet... I spoke to some lovely people and look forward to next year (🤞)

Going to see Doreen Doreen in the Astrolabe at 01:30... an absolutely joyful hour of singing your heart out to old classics

Saturday with Ailbhe Reddy in Croissant Neuf, Lizzo and Vintage Trouble... 

Elton 48 years after I last saw him

The many random strangers I spoke with (and particularly the one i was able to help with their ill mannered CV neighbours)

• Like 1

Having my original glasto crew all back on the farm after a 10 year gap. 
Being able to wander the site in a t shirt til the early hours.

Finding excellent dance music at pretty much every dance venue I wandered up to.

The absolute joy of Phoenix ripping it up to a small but adoring crowd in Woodsies.

Wandering past the Arcadia Bug at dusk one day when someone’s young daughter was invited up to make her Glastonbury debut.. everyone went wild of course 😁

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pipine said:

Having my original glasto crew all back on the farm after a 10 year gap. 
Being able to wander the site in a t shirt til the early hours.

Finding excellent dance music at pretty much every dance venue I wandered up to.

The absolute joy of Phoenix ripping it up to a small but adoring crowd in Woodsies.

Wandering past the Arcadia Bug at dusk one day when someone’s young daughter was invited up to make her Glastonbury debut.. everyone went wild of course 😁

Same for me. 

The past 5 festivals it’s been just my wife and I. 

This year there were 6 of my mates who hadn’t been since 2011, plus 2 newbies. 

Was really great to be with everyone again. 

• Like 1