So anyone adamant they are not going next year ?

cidy

Just now, Mardy said:

Yeah, expanding the site with the curent scale/names/expectations/lineup means the rest of the site is even deader and more like a ghost town while your enormo-stars play the Pyramid. No way around that

The rest of the site was lovely when that old fellow sat on the Pyramid on Sunday night.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

The rest of the site was lovely when that old fellow sat on the Pyramid on Sunday night.

hehe, yep, had my pick of the food stalls at West Holts while watching 'This is the Kit' play to 5 people at the same time as Kylie 

3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

hehe, yep, had my pick of the food stalls at West Holts while watching 'This is the Kit' play to 5 people at the same time as Kylie 

But you missed doing the locomotion with 100K people 🙂 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

would imagine this becomes less accepted with Melvin onboard 

I've pointed this out before, but Melvin returning to GFL isn't a big philosophical change. The person he directly replaced at GFL was Paul Latham - who until his retirement, was also one of Melvins bosses at Live Nation UK.

LN:UK never really went away, or for that matter came back - the main difference is that Melvin has a higher public profile so gets noticed more.

A couple have dropped out of our group this morning, they have decided that spending circa £1k (tickets x2, possibly coachx2) before booze, food and 'sundries' would be better suited to two weeks in the sun somewhere instead.

They did say the price rises of everything across the board was the main reason.

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I thought the General feeling was that it was far better this year after being a sh*t show the year before , that said maybe some didn't attend the year before so weren't able to compare the two and thought it still busy 

It was better but still bad. It's the weather that scares me. Site numbers have increased slowly, and that's a sensible approach, as each festival only has a small jump in numbers, so they can see how the site copes.

But it was what? 2016 last time we even had any rain (or was it all on the Tuesday?) And 2014 the last one that had any challenging wet weather. 

The pathways this year felt as busy as they used to feel in the wet years, when everyone was on them to stay off the grass. Except it was nice, so people were walking on the grass too. The festival's current configuration and size has not been tested in wet conditions and it's continued to grow. I think the next wet one will be a proper disaster.

58 minutes ago, incident said:

I've pointed this out before, but Melvin returning to GFL isn't a big philosophical change. The person he directly replaced at GFL was Paul Latham - who until his retirement, was also one of Melvins bosses at Live Nation UK.

LN:UK never really went away, or for that matter came back - the main difference is that Melvin has a higher public profile so gets noticed more.

Weirdly, Melvin might be the one to sort out T&C if they let him (given Latitude was him having a go at doing a "festival of performing arts" thing himself).

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

It was better but still bad. It's the weather that scares me. Site numbers have increased slowly, and that's a sensible approach, as each festival only has a small jump in numbers, so they can see how the site copes.

But it was what? 2016 last time we even had any rain (or was it all on the Tuesday?) And 2014 the last one that had any challenging wet weather. 

The pathways this year felt as busy as they used to feel in the wet years, when everyone was on them to stay off the grass. Except it was nice, so people were walking on the grass too. The festival's current configuration and size has not been tested in wet conditions and it's continued to grow. I think the next wet one will be a proper disaster.

Weirdly, Melvin might be the one to sort out T&C if they let him (given Latitude was him having a go at doing a "festival of performing arts" thing himself).

yeah true but the drainage has been improved  but who knows what climate change will chuck at us in the future 

The last four festivals and the bbc coverage has lulled folk into a false sense of security. Beautiful weather, dry ground, folk wandering around in t shirts, shorts and trainers. Balmy evenings watching headliners, lounging around drinking and having the time of their lives.  It must have encouraged so many more to apply for tickets .  The scenes of trudging through mud are a distant memory unless you actually experienced it! 

24 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The last four festivals and the bbc coverage has lulled folk into a false sense of security. Beautiful weather, dry ground, folk wandering around in t shirts, shorts and trainers. Balmy evenings watching headliners, lounging around drinking and having the time of their lives.  It must have encouraged so many more to apply for tickets .  The scenes of trudging through mud are a distant memory unless you actually experienced it! 

MMBKNF1.jpg

Vietnam 2005

20 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That has been the case in the past, but again, it's not been tested in ten years and the demographic has changed a lot.

Will the increasing number of people in the ridiculous clamping accommodation and generic white camper vans be bothered to trudge halfway to Bristol to avoid the rain?

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Will the increasing number of people in the ridiculous clamping accommodation and generic white camper vans be bothered to trudge halfway to Bristol to avoid the rain?

Billy and I are fuming 🤣

IMG_20231018_213429.jpg

• Upvote 4

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

Picnic rug! Don’t say the dog has one of those bloody flags as well?😊😉

🤣🤣🤣 I'll never take a flag, flag w*nkers should need a licence to fly they're flags, charge the f**kwits £100 a flag and reduce the cost for generic campervans camping instead👍🤣

One of our group just dropped out taking us to an awkward 15 total. They couldnt' justify the price despite me saying for months & months that the increase was going to be big. The plus side is that he was an absolute rotter so at least our group will be more harmonious this year. a few more price increases and hopefully all the rotters will be priced out. 

I'm still gonna give it a shot this year, but honestly, this years turnout is the weakest yet since we started going (within my group anyway). There were about 12 of this year out of what used to be a crew of 25+

It's all due to a bunch of factors, like money, work commitments and wanting to try something different next year. We've been every year since 2014, bar 2022, but it seems like this year might be the start of a downward trend in our group's attendance. Suppose it's just the natural course of life – people are settling down, buying homes, and all that jazz.