Fred again?? Next year?

Claire0406

Pyramid headliner. 2025. Before then, two albums, one of which will be very different, and then a set that will include some of the many guests he’s worked with. He will sample them as they sing and layer it into each song live in a way we can’t yet comprend. This is my prediction. 
If Ed can get that slot then I reckon it’s Fred’s for the asking. 

11 hours ago, goldfishboy said:

Here's why I think next year could happen.

- He loves Glastonbury and said it was his dream gig. This surely means when they ask him back he'll at least feel tempted 

- He releases roughly an album a year so he'll probably have some new material by next June

- He drew one of the largest crowds of the weekend and was a highlight for many

I agree, apparently he was asked to headline other this year, but he wanted the sunset slot specifically which I do agree in the end was perfect, I’d love to see him actually take that headline spot purely because he deserves it and it’d mean a lot to him, glasto will have definitely noted the size of the crowd and how up for it every one was. 

Hopefully next time he'll mime less. I know this is very difficult with dance music, but much of what he was doing - especially when he was playing the keys - didn't seem to coincide with the notes IMO.

That said, watching from home, it was a really enjoyable gig - and it was clearly loved by the crowd. Nice to see him totally taken in by it all, too. 

Edited by David_303

Do big crowds ever work at Other stage with the sound?

I was up near the walking path and the sound was utterly pointless. They should get rid of the camping which I always find a bit depressing to look at (who camps net to that path?!) and sort out the back speakers. 

Saw and enjoyed both his sets.  I can't remember seeing The Other Stage so packed in the day and never felt the Temple shake as much as it did for his set. 

That said, his next album needs to be a massive hit and be ubiquitous / big mainstream appeal (like Fat of The Land, Surrender / Dig your Own Hole, Homework, Play) for him to even be in the conversation for future pyramid headliner.

It's technically possible but his next album could just as easily be poorly received and find that his ceiling is The Other Stage / WH headliner.

I think he'll most likely not play (live show at least) next year unless the hype train maintains its momentum

15 hours ago, Superscally said:

Don't worry. I'm sure daddy will have paid for quality AI by next time.

f**k me give over. Just because you didn’t get born into money. You don’t choose your family ffs. 

Jealousy is a hideous trait guy, you weren’t so much touched with it as viciously beaten about the head with the jealousy stick. 

Bore off 🥱

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Isaact said:

One thing I would say that Fred could do to alleviate these jealous takes is elevate artists who are as good but didn't have the head start in life he had.

He's probably too young / too hungry to be there yet though.

He literally uses an unknown artist in pretty much every song he has done. From what I’ve seen on their own instas etc they are very grateful he chose them. He’s just getting started. People should give the guy a break rich background or not, he’s been behind the scenes for years and now he’s had his break

• Upvote 2

On 7/4/2023 at 11:54 PM, David_303 said:

Hopefully next time he'll mime less. I know this is very difficult with dance music, but much of what he was doing - especially when he was playing the keys - didn't seem to coincide with the notes IMO.

That said, watching from home, it was a really enjoyable gig - and it was clearly loved by the crowd. Nice to see him totally taken in by it all, too. 

What the hell Is he miming. And sometimes audio and video dont sync up. The Chems could be hitting play on their laptop and just be pretending to twist and turn knobs for 90 minutes you know and everyone thinks theyre the best electronic act and nobody can criticize them over anything.

23 hours ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Given the size of dance acts who haven’t headlined Glastonbury, he will not be headlining the Pyramid.

He most definitely will be asked to do a Sunday sub slot though a la Faithless in 2010.

The festival just hasnt had a dance act that they feel can do it in a long while. Basement Jaxx was the last and that went down well. So youre in the camp of just keeping the festival with booking one genre of music and it has to include guitars or its not good enough to be on the pyramid to end the evening. This is the kind of thinking that makes the eavii hold back on even taking those next steps to progress again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I don't get the Fred Again Hype. I didn't go and see him. I have watched it back, decent set . didn't blow my socks off. maybe it is a live thing . I don't get it ,

What dont you "get". When people say that its pretty much code for "i dont like this at all but i dont want to upset anyone with a comment"

47 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

What dont you "get". When people say that its pretty much code for "i dont like this at all but i dont want to upset anyone with a comment"

people saying he is amazing , and how good he was. he was ok , woudl i go see him live off the back of watching that performance .. no . I might go and see if it makes a difference to my level of enjoyment seeing him live. I have heard so many people rave about him.  After watching it back I can't see why 

8 hours ago, Isaact said:

One thing I would say that Fred could do to alleviate these jealous takes is elevate artists who are as good but didn't have the head start in life he had.

He's probably too young / too hungry to be there yet though.

I mean yeah, of all the criticisms of Fred Again the idea he doesn’t promote emerging artists in his work is… an interesting one! 

On 7/2/2023 at 8:54 PM, Xeph1995 said:

Watched some of his set today and just cannot understand the hype, some of the worst dance music and bad stagecraft.

He is bobbins. 

Ah man, can't believe I was duped into having the time of my life with dancing, tears and hugs. 

21 minutes ago, mazola said:

Ah man, can't believe I was duped into having the time of my life with dancing, tears and hugs. 

Same. Was the set of the weekend for me. The audience around me were smiling and so happy and left blown away. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2023 at 6:44 PM, Yatesy1983 said:

I love Fred and Fred's music, and he has great crowd connection BUT Iwonder whether he will soon (next year or so) run out of steam. There's a lot of manufactured scarcity and mystique around what he does and I just don't know how sustainable that is. I say this as someone who thinks he played the gig of the festival this year, perfect setting for his basic staging to have the sunset slot, and a crowd who were just up for it. If he does come back next year, it will be hard to top this year's performance. 

I'll be very happy if I'm wrong.

With a proper live show ala chems, bicep, disclosure etc he could EASILY top it

On 7/4/2023 at 7:48 PM, goldfishboy said:

Here's why I think next year could happen.

- He loves Glastonbury and said it was his dream gig. This surely means when they ask him back he'll at least feel tempted 

- He releases roughly an album a year so he'll probably have some new material by next June

- He drew one of the largest crowds of the weekend and was a highlight for many

He will defo go back when asked but i doubt they'll be begging him to play the same slot he turned down to stay in his sunset slot a year after playing

Big acts don't tend to do 2 years in a row

On 7/5/2023 at 7:58 AM, danbailey80 said:

Do big crowds ever work at Other stage with the sound?

I was up near the walking path and the sound was utterly pointless. They should get rid of the camping which I always find a bit depressing to look at (who camps net to that path?!) and sort out the back speakers. 

they added another row of speakers for 2022 - Foals / PSB (wasn't there for PSB) were fine i think. not sure what happened

On 7/5/2023 at 9:33 AM, deadpheasant said:

I guarantee if he's not on the bill, every TBA DJ set will be rumoured to be him. TBA on Arcadia? Fred Again. TBA on Temple? Fred Yet Again.

defo

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

The festival just hasnt had a dance act that they feel can do it in a long while. Basement Jaxx was the last and that went down well. So youre in the camp of just keeping the festival with booking one genre of music and it has to include guitars or its not good enough to be on the pyramid to end the evening. This is the kind of thinking that makes the eavii hold back on even taking those next steps to progress again.

Jaxx were a bump up at a time where they frequently were booking a smaller headliner every year - nowadays an act their size wouldn't pass.

The size of headliners has grown quicker than the popularity of big dance acts who would actually get booked for headline (ie not David Guetta, SHM etc)

AFAIK Jaxx doing it size would have been like Disclosure's size at the peak of their popularity - i.e. no chance in 2015 or whenever but if they were about 10-15 years earlier a lot more likely.