Rick Astley

BluePaul

Saw his Pyramid set live and have just caught up with his Smiths set with Blossoms on iplayer. Basically, Rick won Glastonbury this year, didn’t he? Two completely different but excellent performances and he totally ’got it’. Brilliant.

I was right near the front of the Blossoms set and it was a spiritual experience.

The best crowd atmosphere of the entire festival by a country mile, it was electric.

I'm convinced that the BBC had to turn down the crowd so you could hear the band it was so loud in that tent.

Like going to church.

45 minutes ago, Isaact said:

I was right near the front of the Blossoms set and it was a spiritual experience.

The best crowd atmosphere of the entire festival by a country mile, it was electric.

I'm convinced that the BBC had to turn down the crowd so you could hear the band it was so loud in that tent.

Like going to church.

exactly this. we were down front too, about 2 "rows" back center right.  Everyone was at full volume and it was magnificent 

1 hour ago, BluePaul said:

Basically, Rick won Glastonbury this year, didn’t he?

Exactly this. 

I don’t think I’ve seen a performer enjoy themselves so comprehensively since Lionel Richie did his entire set with a massive grin on his face.

Nothing short of Arise, Sir Rick is good enough as far as I’m concerned. 

For a couple of years in the 80's I was a Smiths fan, and saw them a few times. Rick Astley, however, stood for everything I hated about 80's music. I paid no attention last year to the Smiths gigs he did with Blossoms; it seemed like a bad idea that I didn't need in my life.

I watched the set this year on iPlayer after a friend recommended it, and was utterly blown away. Smiths songs being sung by a guy who obviously loves the catalogue and comes across so well, unlike the insufferable knob who originally sang these songs. And to be fair, the band ain't bad either. And it gives new life to these wonderful songs. I'd rather pay money to watch these than if the unlikely happened and what's left of The Smiths reunited.

• Upvote 1

I’ve watched a lot of the coverage and the Astley/Blossoms set is the one set of the entire weekend that I genuinely felt sick at not being able to be there watching. It looked incredible. I’d have had no voice left by the end of that.

btw I think Blossoms should come out with an enormous amount of credit for that. They’re a pretty established band  these days and they (especially the lead singer) just let Rick take all the glory. I haven’t heard a band cover the Smiths as tightly as they did and I’ve seen Johnny Marr twice. If I closed my eyes it was for the most part like the smiths sounded on record (instrumentally). That takes some doing. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, henry bear said:

For a couple of years in the 80's I was a Smiths fan, and saw them a few times. Rick Astley, however, stood for everything I hated about 80's music. I paid no attention last year to the Smiths gigs he did with Blossoms; it seemed like a bad idea that I didn't need in my life.

I watched the set this year on iPlayer after a friend recommended it, and was utterly blown away. Smiths songs being sung by a guy who obviously loves the catalogue and comes across so well, unlike the insufferable knob who originally sang these songs. And to be fair, the band ain't bad either. And it gives new life to these wonderful songs. I'd rather pay money to watch these than if the unlikely happened and what's left of The Smiths reunited.

Nicely put.  Most of us in the 80s who were going to gigs or festivals had no time for any of the SAW produced acts. 

I was lucky enough to get up to Woodsies and I'm delighted I did - it was electric and he's fab.  Tbh the aspect I missed from the songs was Johnny Marr...although I did get slight compensation when he came on with the pretenders. 

Up until this weekend he was pretty much just a 'meme' to me. Came away from this weekend having completely changed my mind. He's a talented, witty and charming bloke, more importantly he seems like a genuinely nice, down to earth and caring fella. Friend in our group has been a fan for years, and goes to his shows, think we're gonna join her next time. 

• Upvote 1

Went to the Pyramid to listen to 2 tunes... and he opened with 1.

He has been a meme for a while & he deserved a chance to showcase his skills. 

I left the Pyramid really pleased I'd seen him & pleased for him. He seems a genuinely good bloke who clearly loved it. 

I'm not gunna ever pay to watch him, but I'm pleased that I was part of the 80,000 or so who saw him.

• Like 1

I went to both sets, hated having to leave early from Woodsies as it was running over but needed to get my friend a spot for Lizzo. He was awesome and as others have said, really seems to have got it and had the best time. He seems such a lovely guy. 

Went because f**k it, it was early and we thought it would be a laugh, ended up being a genuine highlight. As my mate put it "I never thought I'd watch Rick Astley and have Never Gonna Give You Up be about the 4th best thing in the set"

Also seems like a genuinely good bloke who was clearly loving it, thumbs up all round.

46 minutes ago, Levitz said:

he did,  responding to a flag i think

Amazing!!! So I was stood with a group of people for the Foos and this girl had her I miss my dog sign and she was desperate for it to be shown on tv or noticed by the them.  Anyway, explained to my camp mates and said we initially thought the dog was dead… blah blah blah.

They came back from Rick Astley the following day and said it was spotted so I was happy for her but didn’t know if they’d been mocking me 😂.

Cheers for clarifying

• Like 1

13 hours ago, henry bear said:

I think there was a real element of joy and relief in hearing all those great songs played well and sung well by people who were loving doing it, and weren’t Morrissey.

They really should tour that show.

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Went to the Pyramid to listen to 2 tunes... and he opened with 1.

He has been a meme for a while & he deserved a chance to showcase his skills. 

I left the Pyramid really pleased I'd seen him & pleased for him. He seems a genuinely good bloke who clearly loved it. 

I'm not gunna ever pay to watch him, but I'm pleased that I was part of the 80,000 or so who saw him.

Same here, I wouldn’t pay to go see his own show. But he was great, in both sets. I had his first album when I was very young so to hear some of those songs played on the Pyramid was really surreal, although nothing compares to him drumming and singing an AC/DC track. 

He seemed genuinely delighted to be there and in awe of what was happening. As he seems like a really nice fella there was real affection in the air. Felt like an ‘only at Glastonbury’ moment.

13 year old me would throat punch me for saying it but Rick Astley was genuinely brilliant. He should be in that slot (or maybe Fri opener?) every year.

Edit: and if Avalon haven't tried to snag him as a headliner next year, they're sleeping.

Edited by scaryclaireyfairy