The feeling that you didn't see a lot of music?

bigbilly

Anyone think that they didn't see a lot of music or is it just me?

I saw bits or all of 

Artics, Foos, Lana, QOTSA, Elton, Ezra collective, Barrington Levy, Leftfield, Chemical Brother, Fred again, African Head charge, The Egg, and a few DJ sets

Seems like hardly anyone! 

4 minutes ago, bigbilly said:

I saw bits or all of 

Artics, Foos, Lana, QOTSA, Elton, Ezra collective, Barrington Levy, Leftfield, Chemical Brother, Fred again, African Head charge, The Egg, and a few DJ sets

That's about average for me.

I didn’t see as much as I’d planned and certainly not as many full sets as I wanted. 

Partly due to timing, partly seeing other throngs which caught my eye on the way to other sets, partly the weather (Saturday wiped me out).

But had a count up and saw about 25-30 different acts in total, so not bad. 

Nobody ever does. When the lineup comes out you highlight a ton of acts, inevitably tons will clash, some will be too early because you’ve stayed out late the night before. chuck in the heat, fatigue, getting a drink from the bar, eating, and then the logistics of getting a good spot for act X but leaving enough time to get from act Y, and the end result is something massively diminished from what you originally had in mind. Don’t sweat it, it’s normal.

Edited by Jose Pose
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The you at home looking at clashfinder had no idea what is actually possible. I always say it’s the equivalent of looking at a food menu when you are starving and imagining you could eat the whole thing. Hot weather makes it harder to get around as well so don’t worry about it. 

• Like 1

Yep same here. The heat. I still think the crowds are a bit more intense than pre covid. A lot of clashes or partial clashes which meant we had to leave things early. It feels like a lot of running around for not a lot of music. Also felt impossible to see anything before 2am if you’re watching a headliner. This is just my experience tho and I do tend towards more popular acts. I made this point when people were moaning about the line up. You only need 3/4 things per day and even that’s doing well. 

I feel like I saw plenty of music but relatively few big acts. Increasingly less fussed about the main stages, not even so much because of the acts themselves. You just spend so much time getting to a good sport, going to the loos etc.  and the atmosphere is rarely as good. Smaller places you can just meander in and out of sets as you fancy.

Edited by DJL

42 minutes ago, bigbilly said:

I saw bits or all of 

Looks like you might’ve left some sets early to try and catch a bit of both. I think you just really end up feeling that you missed both sets. I’d much prefer to stick with one until the end. 
I feel like I could’ve seen more, but I really enjoyed leaving a lot of space between sets and never once felt under pressure to get somewhere. All the acts I saw I really enjoyed a lot. 

Below is a copy of what I saw, not including all the bits and pieces I half witnessed but didn’t really take note of who was playing. 

- Eats Everything ‘History of Rave’ (Stonebridge)

- Denis Sulta (Glade)*

- Daniel Avery b2b Richard Fearless (Glade)

- Louis Cole (West Holts)

- The Churnups/Foo Fighters (Pyramid)

- Fred Again.. (Other)

- Arctic Monkeys + proposal! (Pyramid)

- Floating Points b2b Daphni (Arcadia)

- Sherelle (Arcadia)

- Phil Hartnoll (Bimble Inn)*

- Yung Singh / Tash LC (IICON)*

- Rick Astley (Pyramid)

- Working Men’s Club (Woodsies)

- Joanne Shaw Taylor (Avalon)

- Jacob Collier (West Holts)

- Manic Street Preachers (Other)

- Leftfield (The Park)

- Max Cooper (Lonely Hearts Club)

- Daniel Avery (Lonely Hearts Club)

- Weyes Blood (The Park)

- Will Young (Avalon)*

- Far From Saints (Avalon)

- Elton John (Pyramid)

- B:rave (Sensation Seekers)

- Henge (No idea by this stage of the game)*

*half saw/wasn’t paying attention/too inebriated!

46 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

The you at home looking at clashfinder had no idea what is actually possible. I always say it’s the equivalent of looking at a food menu when you are starving and imagining you could eat the whole thing. Hot weather makes it harder to get around as well so don’t worry about it. 

Pfft...this isn't a thread for you, your clashfinder totals are massive compared to mine 😊

Just now, clarkete said:

Pfft...this isn't a thread for you, your clashfinder totals are massive compared to mine 😊

Lol! Still not as good as at home me thought. In my head I do Mo Farah runs around site that have no impact on my energy levels. At home me is a damn fool! 

I saw most of the acts I wanted to see but did miss a couple on Sunday afternoon because of the heat and suffering pretty badly from dusty eyes. Also, at times the glare of the sun made actually seeing the acts on stage a bit tricky, even with sunglasses on. 

I saw quite a bit, but didnt go to The Avalon, Greenepeace, The Common or to Block 9 at any point.

It always seems odd that whole areas are missed. It has been the Silver Hayes & Shangri la in recent festivals, but I was there quite a bit this year.

Ive never even got into the Temple in all my visits to the Farm.

2 hours ago, Little Andy said:

Seeing way less than you expected is totally normal until you learn it's the norm. Heat, tiredness, food, toilets, queues, walking, clashes, waiting. Many people believe it's best to only have 3 or 4 must-sees a day.

Yes - this. I always moan at the lineup every year then remember it doesn’t really matter anyway because you can only see so many acts in a day. 3-4 is probably the sweet spot for me. Means you can allow time for randomness, walking about, chatting to people. I think people sometimes forget how long eating, queuing at bars, toileting etc. takes. I’ve learnt now to always allow extra time

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I saw quite a bit, but didnt go to The Avalon, Greenepeace, The Common or to Block 9 at any point.

It always seems odd that whole areas are missed. It has been the Silver Hayes & Shangri la in recent festivals, but I was there quite a bit this year.

Same here. Was discussing this other day. This year I was mainly around Other/Pyramid/ShangriLa/Silver Hayes. Whereas last year I was in ShangriLa and Silver Hayes only once and mainly at the Glade.

Also never been to the Temple but looked throught the barriers for FA/BM and looked unreal. 

Edited by LTT250

10 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I had that this year.  Nothing on Acoustic, barely anything on Pyramid or West Holts, Last year I hardly went to Woodsies or Other, was at both this year.

I did finally make my overdue visit to the Temple. Possibly the happiest / most surprised I saw @bennyhana22all weekend 😄

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

- B:rave (Sensation Seekers)

They were so good! We started the festival with Showhawk Duos acoustic covers of dance bangers, and ended with B:raves brass covers of dance bangers.

• Like 1

Gone back and had a look, didn't do too badly this year.  TBH I didn't find the heat affected me in getting around. Not all full sets but most were.

This Is Inja (Glade Dome)
London Elektricity (Glade Dome)
Wheel Of Four Tunes (Sensation Seekers)
Ben Howard (Other)
Lightning Seeds (Other)
Louis Cole (West Holts)
Lottery Winners (Avalon)
The Comet Is Coming (Park)
Young Fathers (West Holts)
Hot Chip (Woodsies)
Four Tet (IICON)
Gentlemen's Dub Club & Hollie Cook (Truth)
Max Richter (Park)
Lathums (Other)
Working Men's Club (Woodsies)
La Familia Rosso (Big Top)
Fisherman's Friends (Avalon)
Dreadzone (Glade)
Manic St Preachers (Other)
Guns 'n' Roses (Pyramid)
Ivo Graham (Cabaret)
John Francis Glynn (Park)
Gwenno (Park)
Big Moon (Woodsies)
Teskey Brothers (Other)
Slowdive (Woodsies)
Editors (Woodsies)
Elton John (Pyramid)
Chainska Brassika (Bimble Inn)

Edited by Quark

1 minute ago, Dave_c said:

I didn't see much at all this year, partly due to the heat and partly due to having only 3 or 4 must sees one the line up. I always see way less than I plan to.

The joy for me is that very few (if any) of mine were must sees.  Was very happy to be led by others a bit this time around, and it was a blast!

Edited by Quark

11 hours ago, DJL said:

I feel like I saw plenty of music but relatively few big acts. Increasingly less fussed about the main stages, not even so much because of the acts themselves. You just spend so much time getting to a good sport, going to the loos etc.  and the atmosphere is rarely as good. Smaller places you can just meander in and out of sets as you fancy.

Way to go IMO

Edited by Skip997

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Way to go IMO

Agreed, especially with how much more crowded the big stages have felt.  I think the only ones in my list where I'd say I had to fight for space wer Ben Howard (although that was just bizarre) and Elton. Everything else was able to comfortably get to a decent position, move about, find people and wander off as I fancied. So much more enjoyable.

I had a similar feeling to the OP - saw 1 act on Thursday, 6 on Friday, 7 on Saturday and 5 on Sunday.  But the list of people I wanted-to-but-didn't see is far longer than that.

I think (other than a stacked lineup) a lot of this is because the place is just so big - with (often) significant gaps between artists on the same stage, a trek between stages, and battling crowds along the way.

For example on Friday I saw Pale Waves at Woodsies - this finished at 5:30pm.  We then embarked on the logistics of getting a group into the Pyramid field for Foo Fighters, who arrived 45mins later and played for an hour.  Then we were in the tsunami of people heading for Fred Again, who started at 8:30pm.  So essentially between 5:30 and 8:30 - 3 hours of "prime time" - I saw one act. 

Could probably have done better than this - but then equally, on Saturday you could have been in the Pyramid field for five hours from 7pm onwards and only seen 2 acts.