Taking the Kids

Hugh Jass II

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I've done years of late nights and hard partying, quite happy to have a change of pace.

This. Although I will admit to liking the balance of having our son for half and then not for the other half so we could do a bit of partying... Having said that, we walked through SW corner on Friday night at about 3am and it was so packed we basically just shuffled all the way through without even stopping! Kids or not, I am do not think that area is for us any longer. 

Left our 2. 5yr old with the grandparents this time, and was glad we did. Would have loved to have her parachuted in for the Sunday, but 5 days seemed a bit much. 

But whilst we were there, seeing so many toddlers having a great time, we'll definitely take her along next year if we get tickets. 

Some of the modified trolleys were spectacular too, particularly the ones turned into rockets for EJ! 

1 hour ago, noplacelikehome said:

Not quite the same but took our 16 yr old (last time was when he was 5 months old in the mud of 2007, never again...) he likes music but isn't a real "fan" of any particular band so was unsure if he would enjoy it. He absolutely LOVED it, got the festival  completely got stuck in in some nonsense in the Theatre fields, loved the music and everything about the place. It was really special sharing the weekend with him. My highlight was going back to cv east after Elton and he got all emotional, gave me a hug and said "Thanks for bringing me to Glastonbury Mum, it's amazing, now I know why you and Dad talk about it all the time". There may have been a bit of dust in my eye...  To those with little ones though, hats off, you deserve a medal.

Thought i was over the glasto blues but that brought a tear to my eye haha!

Just done our third with the kids - who are now 14 and 9.  First one was in 2019, with 10 and 5-yr-olds. 

As others have said, it's a different experience to being in an adult-only group - in 2019 I think I only saw about half a dozen bands all weekend.  But a fantastic, albeit different, experience - and the kids love it.

Kidzfield is something I'd never experienced (having been half a dozen times) until 2019 - and the set of attractions there is just incredible.

A shame that some say "kids should be banned" - the adult, late-night side of Glastonbury is growing fast - but we should remember that the Kidzfield was a core part of the festival before Shangri-La and Block 9 even existed.

I think our main issue now is that any other festival will seem small and rubbish by comparison.  Going to have to introduce my 14yr old to the delights of Reading at some point, and it will seem....different.

Edited by goonerben
Had an additional thought!

We took our 4 & 6 year old this year for their first time, they've done lots of other smaller festivals but was a bit apprehensive about taking them to the big one! They had an absolute blast and although as parents you miss out on things you'd normally do or bands you'd plan to see we instead saw parts of the festival we just would never have been to if we didn't have the kids with us. Definitely will be taking them again next year if the ticket gods allow.

Fascinated to read this. 

I'd always planned to take mine, but they're 12 and 13 now (and clamoring to go) and we still haven't pulled the trigger. I'm just too worried about how much would change; we nearly took advantage of the 'kids free under 12' last year as they both love McCartney, but having been in the pit for that (having chosen not to bring them), I was happy with the decision I made. 

We're doing Latitude together next month instead, but there is a part of me that feels I've missed out by not bringing them into the Glastonbury bubble when they were younger. 

24 minutes ago, Neverneverland said:

as parents you miss out on things you'd normally do or bands you'd plan to see we instead saw parts of the festival we just would never have been to if we didn't have the kids with us.

This is it. You have to accept and embrace the fact that the festival is a completely different experience with the kids in tow. Not necessarily better or worse, just completely different. Ours are starting to outgrow the kidz field now, but they absolutely love it in the circus and theatre areas. I'd barely set foot in those fields before we started taking the kids.

We did loads of Glastonburys before we had kids, and we've now been taking them since our oldest was 6 months old in 2010. They're 13 and 11 now, and I don't think we'd ever be forgiven if we tried to leave them with the grandparents. Plus that would mean losing major perks such as camping in Wicket Ground and sitting in the shade under the massive oak tree in the Green Kids field.

Edited by Cheesey
  • Like 1

My lad is 2 and i think after this last week we're probably going to wait until he's around 8 before we take him. We've got to consider that we come from the north of England too but on the balance of things don't quite see the value of taking them soo young.

We have festivals near us that can tick the same box that Glastonbury for does kids for half the effort and cost and for more of the convenience.

First time taking our children as well, they are 8 and 6 and always done latitude every year since they were tiny.

They had a blast and we had very few tantrums, a little bit of moaning here and there. They both coped really well with the crowds, walking, late nights and the long drops! Haha.

They're like me and don't really like being told what to do so although they loved some of the physical activities on offer in the kidzfield, (caving, surf board etc was a highlight) they're not a fan of any organised activities and crafting. They like to do their own thing when it comes to that. They preferred the Green kidz field which was a bit more free, lots of games on offer they could go and help themselves to and we found more shade to sit and chill while they just went off in there. They do really enjoy the music as well and some of their favourites were there. Both Lil Nas X and Elton back to back was a highlight for them. They also love food, loved the coconut curry and obsessed with the rotisserie chicken to the extent they kept a little chicken bone each which they cleaned off with tissues...weirdos! 🤣🤣

An observation...there are obviously lots of families but as soon as you leave the kidzfields you realise how outnumbered you are with children. Not like me to take any notice of what people think but there were times I felt really judged and I wish people weren't so selfish and realised that the children deserve to see their favourite bands too. We were amazed that there wasn't any children near us in campervan East quiet and whenever we looked around at the stages, we were like - can't see many kidd at all!! We purposely tried to pitch ourselves next to people with kids but often couldn't find any. My daughter did make a little friend at the back during royal blood and they were doing handstands and cartwheels etc for hours. But that was the only time, so they definitely missed out on that as they are used to having more play mates at Latitude. Just meant they were a bit more cuddly and clingy with us and we could have done with the personal space sometimes haha.

Overall, they're desperate to come back. I'm glad we took them, I'd normally stomp all over seeing loads of weird and wonderful stuff but we ended up only seeing a few main stream acts really but still had a wonderful time. I had a little bit of fomo, next year I think I'll try and do it on my own again if I get tickets. But also want to take them again in the future. Will wait and see what the lineup looks like next year before I decide!! 🤣🤣

I am trying to pull together a little video diary. I couldn't find many good family ones on YouTube before I went so thought I'd try and create one. We'll see how it turns out!! 

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

First time taking our children as well, they are 8 and 6 and always done latitude every year since they were tiny.

They had a blast and we had very few tantrums, a little bit of moaning here and there. They both coped really well with the crowds, walking, late nights and the long drops! Haha.

They're like me and don't really like being told what to do so although they loved some of the physical activities on offer in the kidzfield, (caving, surf board etc was a highlight) they're not a fan of any organised activities and crafting. They like to do their own thing when it comes to that. They preferred the Green kidz field which was a bit more free, lots of games on offer they could go and help themselves to and we found more shade to sit and chill while they just went off in there. They do really enjoy the music as well and some of their favourites were there. Both Lil Nas X and Elton back to back was a highlight for them. They also love food, loved the coconut curry and obsessed with the rotisserie chicken to the extent they kept a little chicken bone each which they cleaned off with tissues...weirdos! 🤣🤣

An observation...there are obviously lots of families but as soon as you leave the kidzfields you realise how outnumbered you are with children. Not like me to take any notice of what people think but there were times I felt really judged and I wish people weren't so selfish and realised that the children deserve to see their favourite bands too. We were amazed that there wasn't any children near us in campervan East quiet and whenever we looked around at the stages, we were like - can't see many kidd at all!! We purposely tried to pitch ourselves next to people with kids but often couldn't find any. My daughter did make a little friend at the back during royal blood and they were doing handstands and cartwheels etc for hours. But that was the only time, so they definitely missed out on that as they are used to having more play mates at Latitude. Just meant they were a bit more cuddly and clingy with us and we could have done with the personal space sometimes haha.

Overall, they're desperate to come back. I'm glad we took them, I'd normally stomp all over seeing loads of weird and wonderful stuff but we ended up only seeing a few main stream acts really but still had a wonderful time. I had a little bit of fomo, next year I think I'll try and do it on my own again if I get tickets. But also want to take them again in the future. Will wait and see what the lineup looks like next year before I decide!! 🤣🤣

I am trying to pull together a little video diary. I couldn't find many good family ones on YouTube before I went so thought I'd try and create one. We'll see how it turns out!! 

We were in E25 and 2 of my friends had kids with them (3 actually but as one of those kids was 28 she probably doesn't count)

I honestly think people who say kids should be banned don't get Glastonbury and probably shouldn't be there themselves and I say that as someone who doesn't have kids and didn't want them.

Now I imagine as parents an ideal situation is probably a year on and then a year off so you can experience the best of both sides of the festival if you are lucky enough to be able to do it.

It is a different festival with kids and I enjoyed it in a different way. Had a few drinks each day whilst I watched some bands and then had a lot more to drink on my night out. I wasn't really feeling my night out anyway and went back to the tent at 2. I really enjoyed feeling so refreshed each day with drinking so little and getting decent sleep. Great to be up at 9 all raring to go for another day exploring. 

Fair play to those who take their kids, they're an important part of Glastonbury and are the next generation. Kids who go regularly from a young age are an asset to the festival and likely to make a positive contribution as they grow into it.

I've loved watching friends kids who have been every year of their lives and are now teens develop over the years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Worked out on the drive home that the total amount of alcohol I consumed across the entire festival was equivalent to about 11 pints.

I've done more than that in a day before at Glastonbury.

9 for me, and they were well spaced out across the wkend so I was basically sober for the duration. No hangovers - wonderful!

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I've done years of late nights and hard partying, quite happy to have a change of pace.

It's not really the partying, which I'm happy to miss, but not seeing bands make it all pretty pointless. You're paying a premium for a kids weekend away

Edited by BBC7BBCHEAVEN

I’ve taken both my boys since they were 4 years old. Eldest is now 14 and has done 8 festivals, youngest is 8 yrs and has 3 under his belt. Most times it’s just been me and them, went with friends and their kids a few times but it’s only us that’s stuck it out. We mostly do Kidz Field and Green Kids and watch a few bands and random DJ sets at small stages, but this year and last we’ve spent a lot of time in the circus and theatre area; this year we did several multi-hour stints in the Big Top and enjoyed some incredible entertainment. Eldest also went off on his own to watch Arctic Monkeys, first time he’s done that and he had a blast. With 8 festivals experience he knows the lay of the land well enough now that it didn’t phase him to go and get stuck in and I wasn’t worried about cutting him loose for a few hours. When he got back to the tent he said he’d had an amazing time. 

I’ve done more Glastonburys with the kids now than without and I don’t miss the good old bad old days of non-stop caning drugs at all. It’s a different experience entirely and, for me, a much better one. I hope we get tickets for many more years to come!

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Group next to us definitely didn't. They were older and easily looked like grandparents, but didn't see a single kid with them all weekend.

I’ve seen a few sets of OAPs camp in Cockmill family camping over the years, tbh I don’t think it hurts if a few doddery old folks that don’t relish the idea of camping in one of the shitshow campsites seek out some guaranteed calm and relative comfort instead. 

6 hours ago, Cheesey said:

This is it. You have to accept and embrace the fact that the festival is a completely different experience with the kids in tow. Not necessarily better or worse, just completely different. Ours are starting to outgrow the kidz field now, but they absolutely love it in the circus and theatre areas. I'd barely set foot in those fields before we started taking the kids.

We did loads of Glastonburys before we had kids, and we've now been taking them since our oldest was 6 months old in 2010. They're 13 and 11 now, and I don't think we'd ever be forgiven if we tried to leave them with the grandparents. Plus that would mean losing major perks such as camping in Wicket Ground and sitting in the shade under the massive oak tree in the Green Kids field.

+1 to this

Also similar situation we've been going before we had kids - with friends, and have taken all our three kids since they've been 1yo - although not every year though. itermitantly I go with my mates and my misses has let me go alone.

Our eldest being 17yo this year - who last went in 2022, he now wants to go next year on his own

to all those thinking about it I'd say it's worth trying - I personally loved it, but it is more challenging, esp on the logistics, but worth it

to add: upto 8yo we let them roam free on which ever field we're on , but from about 8+yo we've given them a mobile phone and let them go anywhere on site

Greenpeace kids area is one of the quietest places

Edited by bob323

9 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Other great thing about having kids with you is that you tend to avoid the places the dickheads tend to go for, so barely saw any all weekend.

stay away from the west side of the site.

15 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

It's not really the partying, which I'm happy to miss, but not seeing bands make it all pretty pointless. You're paying a premium for a kids weekend away

Sure, we watch a lot less music than the pre-kids years, but it's not like we see no music at all. Moreover, and this has been said thousands of times on this forum, there's so much more to Glastonbury than the bands (although the media have never really understood this). If you spend all your time watching bands you really are missing out. I didn't realise just how much I was missing out on until we took the kids.

It's way too reductive to dismiss it as an expensive "kids weekend away", as if it's comparable to a trip to Butlins 🙂

I'm feeling torn about next year (ticket gods allowing). We have kids that will be 9 and 6. The eldest is VERY into her music and is seething with jealousy at all the bands we saw. The youngest isn't so fussed but hates being left out. I'd love to take them in the campervan but a) school are proper arsey even about medical appointments etc b) the sun this year was brutal and c) the youngest can get quite "I DON'T WANNAAAAAA'. We left them with grandad this year, and that was fine but it's not super fair to leave them for that long and they did really miss us. 

15 minutes ago, WhatADin said:

I'm feeling torn about next year (ticket gods allowing). We have kids that will be 9 and 6. The eldest is VERY into her music and is seething with jealousy at all the bands we saw. The youngest isn't so fussed but hates being left out. I'd love to take them in the campervan but a) school are proper arsey even about medical appointments etc b) the sun this year was brutal and c) the youngest can get quite "I DON'T WANNAAAAAA'. We left them with grandad this year, and that was fine but it's not super fair to leave them for that long and they did really miss us. 

Portsmouth isnt so far: i'd say a couple of days with the grandad and attend school, then on sat morning you can swing back/meet up and collect them, and they can have two days onsite! You get kid-free time, and they also get a window of glasto when everything's all set up, but not so much so they get too cranky/overwhelmed 👍