Should flags be banned ?

Crazyfool01

Should they ban flags or not ?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Should they ban flags ?

• Total ban on Flags during Acts
    • Some restrictions to help those further back on disabled platforms and without physical/mental ability to go down the front see some of the stage (eg. no flags in the pit, and one flag per pole)
    • Flags everywhere - I like vibes and don't care if others can't see

2 minutes ago, PocketTim said:

They need to go. Anybody who says just move to get a view must not have gone to Elton on Sunday, as once you're in a crowd like that there is simply nowhere to go.

We were quite close to the front, maybe 1/5th of the field back, with a really good view of the left hand screen. All was well and then just before he started someone put up their 3 flag pole and for my wife who is a 5.5ft it was all over. She saw nothing for the whole set as the screen was totally obscured. Me being taller I could just about see bits, I could have swapped places with her but the girl behind my wife was the same height as her and I didn't want to block her view even more.

All you need to enjoy a set at Glasto is your eyes and ears, anything else like flags and flares can do one.

Basically what I said in the previous post. Bagged a decent spot hours prior to Elton starting and then up went the flags.  Flags up until the performance begins,  a decent compromise

6 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

While the flags are not ideal, my wife who has Cerebral palsy never uses the platforms at the Pyramid because they are that far away so the view and sound is not great at the best of times (she sits, stands on the left hand side near the Wateraid tent), especially the one on the right hand side shown on the picture above. She uses all other viewing platforms (Other Stage, West Holts, Woodsies) as the set up is better. 

So while I'm not saying flags need to be reduced, I'm not sure the argument because of accessible platform at the Pyramid is the answer. 

We know how high you need to be for the flags not to obscure the view. Because that's what the Beeb camera guy in the cherry picker crane goes up to. Not sure it's feasible to have a viewing platform at that height!

19 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

We know how high you need to be for the flags not to obscure the view. Because that's what the Beeb camera guy in the cherry picker crane goes up to. Not sure it's feasible to have a viewing platform at that height!

Yes true, I was thinking closer to the stage as no issues on the Other Stage, West Holts of Woodsies platforms

I can't stand them, most of them are crap, and they do nothing positive for the atmosphere. West Holts generally has the best party vibe and there are usually only about half a dozen flags per gig.

However I've not voted, something about banning them makes me feel uneasy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The ones in the pit aren't the problem. They just block the view of the stage itself which if you're not in the pit, you can barely see anyway.

It's the ones further back that block the screens, which more than half the average pyramid audience are watching on, that are the issue.

The compromise answer that would work is only flags in the central section- ie. Where you are infront of the stage, not the screens. But that's close to unenforceable.

3 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Obviously I went for more restrictions in the circle / pit... 

But absolutely do not ban them outright... There's just something magical about looking back from the circle and seeing scenes like this... 

356373818_10160999273401385_1485550561998385922_n.thumb.jpg.6e4b18b795c8ed07b7f3bd5ff2a39779.jpg

Those crowds and sunsets still looked beautiful before the onset of so many flags, indeed arguably more so. 

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

The ones in the pit aren't the problem. They just block the view of the stage itself which if you're not in the pit, you can barely see anyway.

It's the ones further back that block the screens, which more than half the average pyramid audience are watching on, that are the issue.

The compromise answer that would work is only flags in the central section- ie. Where you are infront of the stage, not the screens. But that's close to unenforceable.

What a load of pussyfooting tripe You're basically saying a direct view of the stage, the back of stage screen, being able to see the performers on the stage etc is only worth having if you're in the pit. In your world the pyramid stage field slope is surplus too (so long as you can see a screen)

This is so untrue and I would strongly make the case that the loss of that direct view of the stage is a detriment to the audience experience way back up the field.  I haven't been in the pit for a busy show for years and I can assure you I've thought the curtain of flags blocking my view of the stage are an annoying travesty to the live show experience for years too.

It's like an 'Emperors new clothes' joke

Edited by kerplunk
  • Like 2

I quite like people who put random objects on a stick or have those inflatable animal heads. Kept on chuckling yesterday at Kermit dancing with Sharleen Spiteri on the BBC replay. I was quite fond of a duck too. And shout out to Steve the Monkey at Woodsies. They block the view less, and although they are less visible from afar, just give a vague idea of where you are when your mates are looking for you. When they get closer they'll spot you.

1 hour ago, moogster said:

I quite like people who put random objects on a stick or have those inflatable animal heads. Kept on chuckling yesterday at Kermit dancing with Sharleen Spiteri on the BBC replay. I was quite fond of a duck too. And shout out to Steve the Monkey at Woodsies. They block the view less, and although they are less visible from afar, just give a vague idea of where you are when your mates are looking for you. When they get closer they'll spot you.

We did this this year for the first time, more as a whim than anything else, and had a lot of fun with it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, strummer77 said:

I don't think they will get banned as they have become part of the marketing. But I think the fact that the mass at the front has essentially become discriminatory means there could be some change.

If flags are affecting access to to the festival for people with disabilities then the local council should be made aware. They may then make it a condition of the festival licence for the flags to be dealt with. Its obvious Emily and her gang dont care and are unlikely to do anything unless forced.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

There was a cochella is sh*t flag that really made me chuckle …. Wonder if it was someone on here or elsewhere on the wind up of Supre sadly can’t find the photo I thought I took 

I have a pic of this one 🙂  can't post it just yet but will do so later on! It was "Coachella is w*nk" to be precise!

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Okay. In that case it was just completely uncalled for aggression. I hope someone you love dies.

Calling your comments pussyfooting tripe is hardly aggression

But you already got your wish. We were intending to take their ashes but the glastonbury office asked us not to during festival time, so we're going back down for the autumn equinox instead.

• Like 1