List your "frustrations" here

airwaves

41 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I was at two shows were an announcement was made to ask people to stand and fold away chairs and blankets (Elton and Lottery Winners Strummerville set), the instant impact this had was obvious to everyone. 

A few more of these, even if just directed at those down the front, wouldn't go amiss.

Completely new to me this … was this the first time this has happened ? 

IMG_6535.jpeg

7 hours ago, catavento said:

I have a lot of time for Greenpeace and the stuff they do, and their own area gets better every time imo, but it would have been good at certain areas/times to have been able to sit down on a bench for a few quiet moments or to eat the food you've just bought without having one of their reps come over for a 'conversation' (ie pretending to like the same thing I liked and then trying to get me to sign up). 

Greenpeace aren’t that amazing to be honest, I know people who have worked with them for a while and didn’t have the best time. But yeah the green shirts are a bit much, I find it’s best to tell them you’ve already signed up but lost your wrist band. They always gave me spares 🤣

I think it's fair and in your right to have a moan after you've paid a grand or more per person for a five day holiday. Plus, I see it as a sort of cleansing after getting all the small things off your chest that likely built up over time and you're looking for a release of sorts.

Glasto shouldn't be regarded as above criticism and, despite it still being the greatest party on Earth, isn't above improvement or fair criticism/feedback (again, if you've paid 1.5k, you're entitled to share your experience imo). I think it all falls into two categories; festival etiquette (or Glasto Spirit) and logistics/planning.

Glasto etiquette - there's not much to do about most of the complaints from people on here. I know, I know, I hate the gazebos, the litterers, the coked-up twats chatting with their backs to the stage during *insert act here*, but that's the nature of the beast isn't it, it's a bloody huge festival with 200k people. People have lamented the changing demographics of Glastonbury for years and they always get ridiculed (rightly and wrongly depending on the scenario), but unfortunately, apart from offering more guidance beforehand or at the time from Glasto announcements (like the one before Elton to get people to stand up - which actually worked where I was, everyone stood up), I don't know what else can be done to teach people not to drop litter aside from constant visuals and nagging from GFL itself.

More diverse music, I suppose would encourage a more diverse crowd? The Earache Takeover was successful, it would be cool to see more hard rock on after hours every night somewhere. Or a dedicated hip-hop tent for up and coming artists.

Logistics - I went to see quite a variety of acts on a variety of stages and the only time I felt like it was crazy busy was during Elton when they'd already closed off the right hand side central entrance 90 mins before he came on, and all the idiots getting annoyed as people walked through their little picnics etc, and also in Shangri La when Truth and Now/Here were both rammed, then Now/Here finished ten minutes before and everyone tried to leave behind the busy Truth Stage and there was just a flood of people going nowhere fast, pushing past any chance they had, hopping the stewards barricades etc trying to get out.

The only gripe I had really with crowds was the difference between 2017 and 2023 was noticeable the most on the walkways and thoroughfares. They were just busy ALL the time. I had to really realign my personal walking clock and had to allow myself more time to get from stage to stage in good time because it became quickly apparent they were always going to be busy and walking in a straight line was just not going to be possible at any time. Less people tho in the future? It'd mean an even smaller chance to go... Hmmm, not sure how to change that unless they moved stuff around.

Sound bleed was also sh*t at the Glade. Why they have a massive tent next to a smaller tent like that, I have no idea. I was watching Crazy P Soundsystem and I don't think there was a single time when I couldn't hear what was going on thirty metres behind me. I was right on the cusp of the main tent if that helps. There are others too, Stonebridge and Park for example.

Toilets near Other - they need to put in a much bigger urinal toilet next to the composters down the side of the Other. There's plenty of space there for it as well and wouldn't impact sightlines of the stage, so I don't know why they haven't done that. More urinals/toilets in SEC as well. I managed to nip out of Skindred and back in quick time, but I wasn't on the right side of the area. If you're other areas of the SEC, you then have to start walking through A LOT of people just to take a piss and once you get there, there's not enough toilets for that much of a densly packed area.

The meal for 6 quid stickers were barely visible for some vendors. Completely forgot about the deal until I finally saw one place participating and displaying their sticker clearly.

Oh, and a giant magnet circling magnet needs to be installed in Silver Hayes to collect all the empty canisters 😅

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

Oh and tbh, I don't know why they can't put a tonne of shade sails up between the flag poles in all the fields with the mega tall flags. Even the "smaller" shade sails would help and the flag poles are almost exactly the right size for it to work. 

Would help in rainy and hot years. Sure, the odd one might get flooded if it is flat, but if they're put up at jaunty angles, the water would just roll right off them.

They also wouldn't get in the way at a lot of the stages because the flagpoles are miles away from stages anyway. All the people at WH could have been sitting under shade for example and it would never interfere with the crowd.

Shade Sails & Tension Sun Shades - Awning Works Inc.

• Upvote 2

My 10th Glastonbury, but its been 9 years since my last visit, so definitely noticed changes this time...

- Sad lack of the spontaneous cheers that used to rumble all around the site on Weds/Thurs - when did they stop?

- Definitely a vibe shift, which I'm attributing to the drugs of the moment. More egocentric pharmaceuticals, rather than community enhancing ones.

- Busier, for sure.

- Much more flagrant pissing everywhere, and a general lack of Glastonbury etiquette, like there's been a schism, and it's not been passed on.

All that said, I had a ball and enjoyed experiencing the festival through the eyes of my young teens who were there for their first. I have given them a full induction in aforementioned etiquette!

This thread has made me think that there's just balance to everything.

People doing little bags in the SEC at 3am? Who gives a sh*t. Doing it in front of a family in the pyramid? f**k no.

Sitting on a chair at the back in an empty field? Fill your boots. The field starts to fill up? Pack up and move back.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Camping chairs and blankets are fine.  Just set them up further back and pack them up when the headliner comes on, its dark and the field is hammered.  Its not rocket science

No pun intended?

Sensible comment though. 👍

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The folk doing the hugging have probably been indulging in the unity creating drugs.

Think I spent the entire weekend in a cuddle puddle.

I know what you mean tho it seems to have become the new fist bump now - when setting up tent on Wed AM around me were endless groups of friends seeming obsessed with hugging each other over and over again to the point where it does being to look a bit ott..

26 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Oh and tbh, I don't know why they can't put a tonne of shade sails up between the flag poles in all the fields with the mega tall flags. Even the "smaller" shade sails would help and the flag poles are almost exactly the right size for it to work. 

Would help in rainy and hot years. Sure, the odd one might get flooded if it is flat, but if they're put up at jaunty angles, the water would just roll right off them.

They also wouldn't get in the way at a lot of the stages because the flagpoles are miles away from stages anyway. All the people at WH could have been sitting under shade for example and it would never interfere with the crowd.

Shade Sails & Tension Sun Shades - Awning Works Inc.

It's getting to the point where they're going to have to start looking at adding additional shade. On Saturday especially every single inch of shade was being taken up. People were sitting next to bins, hiding under benches, propped up next to walls at urinals all just to get a break from the sun. They invested a load of money on drainage and other methods for handling wet years but the way the climate is changing would suggest we're going to get more scorching ones going forward than wet ones. I've personally found the hot years more unpleasant than the wet ones.

On 6/26/2023 at 4:24 PM, Sheffield Steve said:

Gazebos - are they permitted or not?  And if they’re not, why not police them better? Wouldn’t take much for a steward to say “could you take your gazebo down please?”.  There were quite a few in Bushy taking up a lot of space. And saw quite a few elsewhere….

IMG_7850.thumb.jpeg.00db6a46eed81e45a32bf01474291255.jpegIMG_7851.thumb.jpeg.cb24345b92feb624aef4ffcf30112bf5.jpeg

There was. massive one in Kidney mead and the buggers brought a proper park bench. 100% taken from else where from the site cos its proper timber and seats 6 people. 

7 minutes ago, essjay2009 said:

It's getting to the point where they're going to have to start looking at adding additional shade. On Saturday especially every single inch of shade was being taken up. People were sitting next to bins, hiding under benches, propped up next to walls at urinals all just to get a break from the sun. They invested a load of money on drainage and other methods for handling wet years but the way the climate is changing would suggest we're going to get more scorching ones going forward than wet ones. I've personally found the hot years more unpleasant than the wet ones.

On Saturday the only place I found available shade was outside the Astrolabe tent! 

17 minutes ago, essjay2009 said:

Yeah both me and my found the heat extremely difficult to deal with at times on Thursday and Saturday.

Ended up buying an umbrella from one of the camping shops which helped tremendously.

Me and my mates had a terrible time in the crowd for elton, easily the worst in my 10 year of going to the festival.  The people we encountered where absolutely vile in the most part. We arrived at the back of the pyramid field about 1hr 30mins before Elton with Lil Nas X in full flow.

Took the top path from woodsies in front of row mead and attempted to walk down to get a little closer in. On the walk off the path into the field i asked one lad very politely if i could get past to which he simply ignored me. I asked him again and he said he wouldn't move out of the way as he had been standing there for 2 hours and was getting sick of moving! he told me to go another way. I didn't know you could buy shares in sections of the pyramid field that you own while at the festival.

After a few words between me and him my mates got down in front of the repeater speaker at the top of the field. We were there for around 30 mins where it got busier and busier, my wife needed the toilet and as we turned around we were met by a solid wall of people around 30 rows deep either sitting on the floor or sitting in camping chairs. There was absolutely no way through these people and nobody would move.

Everyone who wanted to move or find a way to a track was panicking as they couldn't get out. It took us 30 mins just to try and plot a way across these people to get to a walkway that led to the track at row mead. In this time i seen 2 full blown fights, people having panic attacks. I spoke to 1 woman in the field in her late 60s who had wee'd herself as nobody would move. It was absolutely horrendous and all caused by the self entitled arseholes at the back of that field in chairs or sitting in chairs. It was quite clear it was getting extremely dangerous and people were distressed. People were shouting for people to stand up so people could move....but no, everybody was quite happy sitting watching everyone struggle and actually dare to moan or complain when you stepped over them. I mean WTAF! 

Now i'm sure there are a few people in that crowd who have a medical reason to sit or rest, however if everyone has a medical problem then no the wonder the NHS is as stretched as it is!

We finally got out at the top of row mead toward williams green, it took us about 1hour 20 mins in total. As we walked away we heard them put the announcement out for people to stand up. Too little too late by that point. The festival needs to do much more in sorting this out and as for the literal ~1000 people that caused that problem, the less said the better. At least they had a good rest before enjoying Elton. 

• Like 2

On 6/26/2023 at 10:36 PM, D-Low said:

Another one for the lack of nighttime music that wasn’t drum and bass. We went to taphouse one night but other than that the only indie night was a 1 hour set by baggy Mondays (they have a 4 hour 11-3am set at Kendal calling so why do they only do an hour in the afternoon here). Why can’t they bring back silent disco for a weds/thur night to ease some of the crowds. I heard one same song about 8 times over the weekend spun by different DJ’s of the same genre. 

There seemed to be a distinct lack of ‘glasto moments’ for me this year too. Like the little quirks that made it special. I always remember there would be like the phones that would ring and other cool things like that. San Reno area just looks like a desert wasteland. 

People breaking in. I think most of the overcrowding is because of this. Saw at least 3-4 scouse groups. All with loads of hair bangles on their arms to disguise. One group of girls were saying how the trader is getting coach loads of people in for £500 and he was doing it all weekend up to Sunday. It’s beyond now. Why can’t they put in some barriers like the south east corner entrance across the main walkways from campsites/main pathways to check wristbands. 

some of the new layout and paths with no cut throughs were terrible. Big green fences. Felt like a maze walking around towards gate A. 

Who is "the trader"? And what was the song played 8 times? Genuine queries, not taking the piss! Agreed that music post midnight gets bizarrely homogenised. 

no chairs in lower half of the pyramid, if you need a chair then have them further back. Maybe even a bigger disability friendly section somewhere with access to toilets/water, people scream about the disability arguement when you mention chairs taking up space but its rarely a problem on the other days of the fest..

3 hours ago, JayDiesel said:

Granted, but if you're sittting in the pit at Elton when it's comfortably the most condensed crowd of the festival, than the space isn't for you.

Admittedly I should've clarified that part of my gripe, sitting at the back isn't a problem at all, it's the 'sitting in space where there is clearly none to sit in' gang that riles me up! I didn't go out of my way to stand on top of people, but those that were sat at the front for AM as people were literally piling on top of them make it physically impossible to get past them without contact, and I have virtually no sympathy in those scenarios.

Hope you're feeling better soon x

I do agree with you but I would also note, not everyone is a seasoned festival goer who can judge how busy an act will be. People might set up camp halfway back in the field thinking that is perfectly reasonable (and for headliners in years past, it would have been). And then you're chatting with mates, few drinks, maybe other stuff, maybe you're not quite as aware of the growing crowd as you should be.

Doesn't excuse it once it's pointed out but not everyone is aiming to be disruptive from the start.

1 hour ago, Glastomackem said:

Me and my mates had a terrible time in the crowd for elton, easily the worst in my 10 year of going to the festival.  The people we encountered where absolutely vile in the most part. We arrived at the back of the pyramid field about 1hr 30mins before Elton with Lil Nas X in full flow.

Took the top path from woodsies in front of row mead and attempted to walk down to get a little closer in. On the walk off the path into the field i asked one lad very politely if i could get past to which he simply ignored me. I asked him again and he said he wouldn't move out of the way as he had been standing there for 2 hours and was getting sick of moving! he told me to go another way. I didn't know you could buy shares in sections of the pyramid field that you own while at the festival.

After a few words between me and him my mates got down in front of the repeater speaker at the top of the field. We were there for around 30 mins where it got busier and busier, my wife needed the toilet and as we turned around we were met by a solid wall of people around 30 rows deep either sitting on the floor or sitting in camping chairs. There was absolutely no way through these people and nobody would move.

Everyone who wanted to move or find a way to a track was panicking as they couldn't get out. It took us 30 mins just to try and plot a way across these people to get to a walkway that led to the track at row mead. In this time i seen 2 full blown fights, people having panic attacks. I spoke to 1 woman in the field in her late 60s who had wee'd herself as nobody would move. It was absolutely horrendous and all caused by the self entitled arseholes at the back of that field in chairs or sitting in chairs. It was quite clear it was getting extremely dangerous and people were distressed. People were shouting for people to stand up so people could move....but no, everybody was quite happy sitting watching everyone struggle and actually dare to moan or complain when you stepped over them. I mean WTAF! 

Now i'm sure there are a few people in that crowd who have a medical reason to sit or rest, however if everyone has a medical problem then no the wonder the NHS is as stretched as it is!

We finally got out at the top of row mead toward williams green, it took us about 1hour 20 mins in total. As we walked away we heard them put the announcement out for people to stand up. Too little too late by that point. The festival needs to do much more in sorting this out and as for the literal ~1000 people that caused that problem, the less said the better. At least they had a good rest before enjoying Elton. 

Not necessarily a medical problem, just some people can't stand for that long. One could question similarly why your friend didn't have a wee before you went into the crowd. For me that seems ridiculous- that they wouldn't know and wouldn't go before...  but different people work in different ways. You may think it ridiculous someone can't stand up for 4 hours. I may find it ridiculous someone can't go four hours without a piss.

The festival takes all sorts. Wouldn't have it any other way. But I'd argue the 1000s of people sat in chairs were creating only as much of an issue as the 1000s trying to get in and out for the bathroom!

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Not necessarily a medical problem, just some people can't stand for that long. One could question similarly why your friend didn't have a wee before you went into the crowd. For me that seems ridiculous- that they wouldn't know and wouldn't go before...  but different people work in different ways. You may think it ridiculous someone can't stand up for 4 hours. I may find it ridiculous someone can't go four hours without a piss.

The festival takes all sorts. Wouldn't have it any other way. But I'd argue the 1000s of people sat in chairs were creating only as much of an issue as the 1000s trying to get in and out for the bathroom!

You think the 1000’s of people trying to move around that field needed the toilet? 

1 minute ago, Glastomackem said:

You think the 1000’s of people trying to move around that field needed the toilet? 

I reckon at least 1000 people left the field for the toilet during or in the half hour just before Elton and then tried to get back in, yes. Which is apparently how many chairs their were. Each contributes to the "problem" in its own way